The great Armor debate--Real-fake

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

Azra
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Azra »

Kalphoenix wrote:
Fionna wrote:I have been told time and time again, those of us who put in the time to making our characters authentic do so because we LOVE our characters and for the ourselves. I get no bonus for tying myself into a bodice, wearing three skirts, spending time braiding my hair, and putting money into my jewelry. I do so because I want to. Just as those who wear real plate and chain maile do so because they want to.
This. I hear all the "debate" about how people who wear armour should get some huge bonus in the form of LPs and armour points. Where are the LP and armour points or other bonuses for people who are dressing "in-period?"

Now, traditionally, we give players hero points for this kind of thing. I support THAT as part of the real armour reward. Even if it means a player is getting a hero point EVERY GAME for wearing real heavy.

I'd also be for giving people a free armour tag for real armour for that category. If there was a fear of cheesing, it could only be once per event, and you could only get a new tag at a new event if it was for a new character or if your armour had been destroyed (Not traded, not given away) at the previous one.

I'm all for limited shatter or damage resists.

I am, however, against +LP, +CR and +AR as bonuses for "real" armour.
QFT! I agree 100% with this.
Azra Celevares
Rhul
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Rhul »

If you can easily see what they are trying to make their armor appear to be, it counts as that armor. Lacross armor painted silver can be heavy. I see it and immediately assume it's heavy. Call it "The Ten-Foot Rule".

If, on the other hand you are playing the "differential upkeep" game, you can pay for armor that is one level above what you are phys-repping.

I despise being anal about "real" armor, and I am one of the players at this LARP that phys-reps with real armor, all the time.
"BY THE POWER OF GRAVESBANE....

I.. HAVE.. THE.. POWER!!!"
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Just for clarification

when I say "real" I do not mean "authentic" everyone is picking that up right? Painted silver plastic could be "real" just not nessissarily "real" heavy because well it isnt heavy.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Rhul
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Rhul »

If you can easily understand what they are trying to make their armor appear to be, it counts as that armor.
To reiterate my point about how it should be.

If someone is in a tizzy about 'inauthentic materials' being used to make a good phys-rep and granting an appropriate armor category, they should go play in the SCA.

Or hell, try Belegarth, where even my leather Brigantine (coat of plates) had to have a certain metal thickness of the riveted plates to even count as armor at all. And all that did was up your soak from "1" to "2" hits per location to 'kill' you.

A debate about real armor getting a bonus over "fake" armor is going to get me ranting about how my costume as Rhul should give me an in-game bonus over a Beastman player with a painted face, as it is hot and restrictive, and more easily identifies my race. Which it shouldn't, as it is simply an extra amount of effort over the baseline which has been chosen by me for my personal immersion.

A baseline for both costuming and armor should be of an easily obtainable value by any given player, whether by having access out-of-game money, or simply well-placed effort. Every player should be able to do one or the other.
"BY THE POWER OF GRAVESBANE....

I.. HAVE.. THE.. POWER!!!"
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by General Maximus »

Armor should just look the part. materials do not matter.

Real armor should grant a small bonus, but not extra soak. bonuses should be, No upkeep, more resist shatters, etc...

The people who wear real armor do it becasuse they want to, not because it gives a bonus.

But armor needs to look like armor, and folks should not have to ask a person if they are wearing armor or not. It needs to be obvious, even with light armor.
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

General Maximus wrote:Armor should just look the part. materials do not matter.

Real armor should grant a small bonus, but not extra soak. bonuses should be, No upkeep, more resist shatters, etc...

The people who wear real armor do it becasuse they want to, not because it gives a bonus.

But armor needs to look like armor, and folks should not have to ask a person if they are wearing armor or not. It needs to be obvious, even with light armor.
I agree with pretty much all of this, word for word.

And yes, armour needs to be identifiable as armour for the SAKE OF PHYSREPPING.

I'm totally anal about physreps, whether that is weapons/armour/racial costuming/magic items or anything else that can have an effect in-game (like alchemy labs *grins*). It doesn't have to be "real" or even that good. It just has to be identifiable as whatever it is supposed to be. I think I'm less picky on armour physreps than the average gm/npc/player, I mean, honestly I'd be fine with spraypainted cardboard, or even a color-coded tabbard system (although those obviously wouldn't count as "real"), but people need to be able to tell you are wearing armour, if you are, indeed, wearing armour. They need to be able to tell you are an elf, if you are, indeed, playing an elf. And so on, and so forth.
Francesco DeLemuerte
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Francesco DeLemuerte »

Hmmm...

To me encuberence and weight are the same thing. Higher weight is more encumbering.

I think you should still be able to go up a single catagory. But if you do you don't get the shatter bonus. You also no longer have to pay extra upkeep for that increase.

I like the idea of shatter but there are problems with that.

Bob the fighter has lacross shinguards (1), a metal breastplate(3), a plastic helmet(1), and leather bracers and spaulders(2). He has 7 AP. Now he decides to up his, arms, helm, and legs by 1 point each. His total soak is now 10. He has one piece of armor that is still real. Do they retain bonus?

I ask because shatter effects all of your armor, not just a location.

Thats why I wanted to use the base armor value chart. If you meet the "light" condition your Armor takes 1/2 time to repair. Makes sense because there is less there to repair. "Medium" would grant the shatter bonus. "Heavy" would grant would grant the shatter bonus as well as the ability to resist one vorpal strike, bringing your armor point total to 0.

If you choose to up the location of any piece of your armor you recieve none of the benifits for good phys repping. But you will no longer have to pay extra to get that bonus. I think this is good because you guys are trying to phase out upkeep tags.
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

Francesco DeLemuerte wrote:"Heavy" would grant would grant the shatter bonus as well as the ability to resist one vorpal strike
AHHHHHHHH, its back, that horrible armor that we dare not speak its name, it was trouble when it was super expensive and semi rare, if everyone could have it....well i think i would just cry a little
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Francesco DeLemuerte
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Francesco DeLemuerte »

How many people are rocking a set of real heavy armor?

If you resist the vorpal strike your armor is reduced to 0. In order to use this ability you must be at full armor points.
Crist0
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Crist0 »

Francesco DeLemuerte wrote:
Thats why I wanted to use the base armor value chart. If you meet the "light" condition your Armor takes 1/2 time to repair. Makes sense because there is less there to repair. "Medium" would grant the shatter bonus. "Heavy" would grant would grant the shatter bonus as well as the ability to resist one vorpal strike, bringing your armor point total to 0.

If you choose to up the location of any piece of your armor you recieve none of the benifits for good phys repping. But you will no longer have to pay extra to get that bonus. I think this is good because you guys are trying to phase out upkeep tags.
Me likey. Me likey a lots.
"Taunt!" (that means bring it...)
celegar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by celegar »

Ark wrote:
Francesco DeLemuerte wrote:"Heavy" would grant would grant the shatter bonus as well as the ability to resist one vorpal strike
AHHHHHHHH, its back, that horrible armor that we dare not speak its name, it was trouble when it was super expensive and semi rare, if everyone could have it....well i think i would just cry a little
why?
YOU STAY SMART, YOU STAY ALIVE, DONT DO NOTTING STUPID.
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

Great costuming does carry its own rewards in terms of RP. If you really look and act like a noble, people will tend to treat you much more as such. If you look and act like a bad-ass, people will look to you when butts need kicking.

Weighty armor, however, is quite different. It’s worn by warriors, yet is a significant hindrance to combat. It’s a bane to combat opposed to good costuming which is a boon to RP. Yet it looks awesome and contributes to an overall sense of immersion to the game, so it should be encouraged. However, on its own, its very nature discourages use. Why wear real armor when your character will be far more effective in fake armor? A small bonus such as a free ‘resist shatter’ is decent encouragement, a simple addition, and doesn’t upset the game balance.
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

what he said.
Travis Cole