Armor Upkeep

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

Phinkis
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Phinkis »

I think if the armor looks the part you get your costume LP. If you use it as one category higher you don't. If it's authentic, discussed in the other post, it can resist shatter.
celegar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by celegar »

i like the prospect we previously had, or at least how i understood it, that if your wearing properly physreped armor at any given location then you get its basic cost for free, being that you dont have to pay upkeep if you physrep your armor.

im sure this will gain the ire of some players that have been using armor but not super heavy stuff, but those of us that take that hinderence should be compensated for our efforts to authenticly physrep ourselves.

this would come in a two part consideration, each being half your upkeep if you pursue it. the questions would be.
is it of the proper weight?aka is it heavy enough for its type.
and does it look the part?

if it looks good but is unconditionally light, then you get half your upkeep for free.
if its heavy but looks fake then you get half your upkeep for free.
if its both then you get all your upkeep for free.
YOU STAY SMART, YOU STAY ALIVE, DONT DO NOTTING STUPID.
Phinkis
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Phinkis »

The idea is to get rid of upkeep. This discussion is being had to come up with a reward other than no upkeep, for players that wear real armor.
Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zeira »

New Armor Suggestions…

If your armor is made of one of these materials it counts as that category of Armor. This will determine your Base Armor Value. There are four locations of armor. Head, Torso, Arms, and Legs. Armor made from the materials listed under the Light category provide 1 point of Base Armor per location, Medium Armor provides 2 per location and Heavy provides 3 points per location. It also provides that many Armor Points for each location.

Light – Thin Plastic, Foam, Padded Cloth, Sports Padding or Thin Leather (Suede)
Medium – Thick Plastic, Thick or Layered Leather, Micro or Aluminum Chain Maille or Studded Leather,
Heavy – Plate, Chain Maille (Mild or Stainless), Scale Armor, or Coat of Plates.

You may also layer armor to increase your Base Armor Value. If you combine two layers of armor made from materials in the Light Category it would be considered a Medium location. If you combine a Light material and a Medium material, or a Medium material and another Medium material, it would be considered Heavy.

Your Base Armor Value determines your Armor boon. If your Base Armor Value is in the Medium category you would receive the Medium and Light Armor Boons. If you are in the Heavy category you would receive all 3. The chart is below.

Light Boon (1-4) – You receive + 1 to your total life points
Medium Boon (5-8) - Once per event you may resist any call with word “Shatter” in it as long as it would affect your armor. You cannot use this ability to resist a shatter to your weapon or shield. Once this is done your Armor Points drop to 0.
Heavy Boon (9+) – Once per event you may resist any call with a number in it. After this is done your Armor Points drop to 0.

You may choose to lower the Base Armor Value of location of armor to allow it to provide you with more protection. By lowering the Base Armor Value of a location of armor you can increase the amount of Armor Points it provides by 1. You may not lower the Base Armor Value of a location by more than 1 nor can you increase the amount of Armor Points a location provides above 3 by these means. Your Armor Points determines what armor category you are in. That chart is below.

1-4 = Light Armor
5-8 = Medium Armor
9+ = Heavy Armor
Fionna
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Fionna »

Kiel, I think I can get behind this. However, that means that if your skills restrict you to a certain armor category you loose the higher bonuses correct?
Fionna MacNeil
Queen of the People of Haven

“We all at certain times in our lives find ourselves broken. True strength is found in picking up the pieces.”
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

I am debating if the two thread idea was a god logistic move or not anyways David and I were talking (I will let you think on you David is) and we have come up with a good idea that incorporates all of what everyone has said.

I should start off by saying that we do not want to penalize anyone for their efforts only reward those people who have gone the extra mile. This holds true not only in this discussion, but in the bonus LP's people get for costuming (they sort of became automatic, but are really rewards we will get better at rewarding properly this year)

That said we will have 3 catagories of armor
Light, Medium, and heavy

If your armor is rated as real in any of the catagories then when hit by a shatter your armor falls to 0, but can be repaired. (this is a continual effect instead of a times per day effect which our larp really doesnt have)

That is it.

I am going to post on what constitutes real versus fake in the other thread.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Anon
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Anon »

Just a thought I thought that light, typically being leather and cloth, was already not affected by shatter?
+==+ +==+ +==+ +==+ +==+ +==+
La morte paure me, le paure della vita, mi sono diviso.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Well that is currently the rule, but honestly it probably doesnt matter in this case because if we say cloth cant be leather then everyone will at minimum e required to qualify for real light. :)
Chris
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

Anon wrote:Just a thought I thought that light, typically being leather and cloth, was already not affected by shatter?
This is just my personal opinion, but if this is, indeed the case, then we're looking at a couple options:

1.) Light armour can now be affected by shatter (probably the least satisfying).

2.) Any kind of over-clothing can potentially count as a phys-rep for light, since light can be essentially thick fabric (think mage-robes, since we don't have any real NO ARMOUR abilities in game), it could be a jacket, overcoat or thin pl/leather. Since you still have to wear SOMETHING to represent armour (at least I thought you did anyway), I think it's fair to say that light armour might not get a bonus, since it is fairly easy to acquire at least a jacket and everyone could qualify.

3.) You can get a freebie tag for the item for what the GMs consider to be exceptional "real" light. This freebie tag would be subject to anti-cheese rules.
GM_Chris wrote: the bonus LP's people get for costuming (they sort of became automatic, but are really rewards we will get better at rewarding properly this year)
This is kind of unrelated, but the "bonus" 2 LPs were always implied to me to be for basic costuming, not a reward for exceptional costuming. For example, the rulebook says (or did, at one time) that black pants and a tunic are considered to be acceptable basic costuming, although I rarely see anyone dress quite that little, unless it's their first event (and then they are exempt anyway). Basically, as long as you weren't wearing jeans and a t-shirt, you were covered. As a side note, if the 2 LPs are meant to be a "bonus" for exceptional costuming only, that pretty much makes any character that doesn't dress "exceptionally" unplayable. Unless you were a warrior or disc with vigor, you could potentially have only 2LP for priv, 3LP for com and 4LP for savage.

My guess is the 2LP "bonus" is a holdover from the days when the Paths gave LPs and soak was higher, and now days is actually a necessity to play a character. Awesome and exceptional is what hero points are for. :D

Edited: Bad math.
Last edited by Kalphoenix on Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

GM_Chris wrote:Well that is currently the rule, but honestly it probably doesnt matter in this case because if we say cloth cant be leather then everyone will at minimum e required to qualify for real light. :)
Aaaaand ninja-ed by Chris. If I am translating correctly, like I said, it's pretty easy for anyone to qualify for "real" light, as long as they are wearing something.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

This is kind of unrelated, but the "bonus" 2 LPs were always implied to me to be for basic costuming, not a reward for exceptional costuming
Over 8 years that is what it turned into that was NEVER the intention.

We will correct this eyar.
Chris
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

GM_Chris wrote:
Over 8 years that is what it turned into that was NEVER the intention.

We will correct this eyar.
I personally feel you should look into something else as a reward, like we are looking at for the armour debate. "Changing" it now, and taking it away from people you don't feel fit the "exceptional" category won't seem like a reward for the super costumers, it will feel like a punishment for everyone else.

Eight years (and even the five or six that I've played) has set a precedent that you really can't turn around on now and expect players to be "grateful" for the reward they were already getting. Even less so if you decide your standards are higher than what the average player wears now and you decide to take them away from people.

Something else, something non-number soak might be nice. A free random sage-hint maybe...or a free resource or small extra coin that isn't modified by skills or outside abilities. Or heropoints. ALWAYS heropoints.

A frequent complaint I hear by players and staff that heropoints are a lot rarer than they were meant to be. Great costuming is one way to get those heropoints into the game even if you don't see the character's interactions any further than their costuming at check-in.
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

.. but I don't ever wear my costume at check in..

and even by game on I am sometimes not finished putting my costume on.

The BIG problem with this rule is that it's determined by someone's opinion of what's good, acceptable and exceptional and is sure to differ from person to person.