2010 rule change keys question

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

Zydana
GM

2010 rule change keys question

Post by Zydana »

All locks will now have an arbitrary identifier on the tag; such as a number or word. In order to open these locks without picking them you must possess a crafted key tag with the same identifier and physically touch the tags together. All crafted locks get one key for free at the time they are crafted. Craftsman may make spare keys at NPC camp at the cost of 2 copper, but they MUST have a key tag with the same identifier or also be a rogue with the required pick locks level to pick it, forgery, and the lock itself.

If a door has a lock tag on it and a player accidentally runs through without properly touching a key to it, then anything chasing them may treat this door as if it were not locked in the effort to pursue the fleeing character.

So we MAY NOT use a key phys-rep?

Also, I thought (unless going the rouge route) a key must be made by the craftsmen who made the lock. (I suppose it would make sense that any craftsmen can make a key as long as they have one already to copy - which is stated above)
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Nope you can use a key physrep.

The lock might say 1
the key then you need a sticker on it that says 1 and not key 2 for key 2 does not work.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

If you want a prop laminate the tag and make a keychain.
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

Onimaster wrote:If you want a prop laminate the tag and make a keychain.
So we are forbidden to use the old skeleton keys as props.

YEY!!

Horray for making things feel as in game as possible.
Esmerelda
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Esmerelda »

I second Angie on that one. :D
Lady Esmerelda Harrison,
Queen of the Kingdom of Haven

"What if in order to save everything you hold dear, you have to become everything you hate?"
Smitty19
GM

Post by Smitty19 »

Then think of another way to afix the tag to the physrep...

We of course want to use a more "realistic" prop, but it has to have the associated tag to go along with the lock....
Serith Darkheart

"I dont make Threats....Only Promises"
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

That is not exactly what he is saying here.

What we dont want is people with some odd key and saying it opens a lock. What was happening was everyone was saying they have a key to things and there was no way to track. I could think of a lot of ways to logisitcally get the tracking we are looking for with the authentisity you and we desire.
Chris
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

hole punch the darn tag and string it to the key itself.

But at current. the wording says nothing about being allowed to touch a key phys-rep to the lock or using one.

It must be the tag.

Believe it or not, they DO make key chains that you can write on. Heck - what about those little jewelery tags that have the stings?
Esmerelda
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Esmerelda »

What I got from your initial response Chris was that a sticker could be attatched to phys rep with the same info that a tag would have.

Then Matt seemed to say that wasn't an option. I think that's where we took issue. At least that's where I did.

I understand the need to make sure a specific phys rep is attatched to a specific key. But it seems like the way Matt's post was worded it says you can't use anything other than the paper tag.

That's why I dislike written discussion.
Lady Esmerelda Harrison,
Queen of the Kingdom of Haven

"What if in order to save everything you hold dear, you have to become everything you hate?"
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

I believe that would be fine.
Chris
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

Also - Why can't I have 5 key tags in my pocket and then use one key phys-rep to touch to the lock?

And if I role played it was the "master key" and someone took if from me, I should be willing to give up all 5 of those key tags.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Hmm now that becomes interesting. I assume you could have a "master key" if that was agreed to by the GM's then what you sugges is fine.

If you didnt have a master key then you would need to use the correct key. Have you ever tried to fumble for the corect key on your key chain when someone is attempting to kill you?

Honestly we should probably just forc people to buy real locks and you have to get the key inside the lock and turn and open it successfully, then you couldnt even need a tag. :)
Chris
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

GM_Chris wrote: Honestly we should probably just forc people to buy real locks and you have to get the key inside the lock and turn and open it successfully, then you couldnt even need a tag. :)
Only if we can force people to actually pick the lock and/or knock down the door.
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

GM_Chris wrote: If you didnt have a master key then you would need to use the correct key. Have you ever tried to fumble for the corect key on your key chain when someone is attempting to kill you?
Nope, but nothing is stopping me from taking out all 5 of my key tags at once and slamming them against the lock on my way in.
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

The master key can have multiple tags on the keychain
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage