Cooldown?

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

Sunny
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Sunny »

*lol* PM me with a good time to call you. It may just be that I'm retarded.
Crist0
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Crist0 »

The thing that I find unfair about cooldowns is the fact that it can be disrupted. 20 minutes is a loooonnngg time to not get disrupted. If you removed that part, then I'd be able to get behind cooldowns.
"Taunt!" (that means bring it...)
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

again its 10 minutes with a focus item.

and 10 minutes was the original charge up time for these spells.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Crist0
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Crist0 »

I understand, but would it make them too powerful and unbalanced if their cooldowns couldn't be disrupted? I think that it would be just fine, they're still balanced because they can't use any of their skill during that time. With the way it is now, wizard/arcanes will run up, use their spell, and then run away and have to hide for 10/20 minutes until you can do things again. In the old system, it was worth the wait because you were looking forward to unleashing your mega awesome spell. Now your just kinda sittin around watchin people fight. I think that you should still be able to pick up allies and bring them to healers, or call 1's and fight and not have to worry about being disrupted. Wizards are kinda detached from the game when they're in cooldown in my oppinion. Giving them the ability to do something and still recharge would be ideal.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Lets picture the following battle:

First the old way which is totally relevant to the discussion
My NPC troops march up..the arcnes start casting..10 minutes in they cast their spells. the battle becomes getting tot he arcanes before 10 minutes is up.

The new way with the way you suggest.

15 full path warriors show up with arcane as their full discipline. They pick as thier 4th level ability the elements spell.
First thing they do is cast it causing 150 damage to everyonee caught in the triangle.
Then since the cool down only effects their spells they attack the PC's who are not dead with the full force of a master warrior.

The way it is now
they cast 150 points of damage
They now have no skills.
The pc's who are left kill them.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Sunny
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Sunny »

ummm... Then move the elements spell to be one of those that can only be taken as an alternative path skill. Problem solved. ^_^

Now - understand that I am, in NO way, suggesting that the old way is better. I'm NOT. The new way of doing things is so much better. I am simply arguing that cooldowns being able to be interrupted is lame. Not being able to do ANYTHING, while similar to the old system, STILL is not balanced against what other paths can do with their skills.
Crist0
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Crist0 »

I agree with Vaun.
GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Phil »

Well we can use an earlier suggestion by Vaun to meet in the middle and make a Wizard path Advanced skill that allows Cooldowns to not be interuptable..

Now would you say this is a 50th or 100th level ability..

I am hedging towards 100 myself? ideas..

And I think what we wil have to do for Wizards is come up with General Perks, rather than Specific Specialites like the other PAths due to the complex nature of the Path..

I.E. - Perk - Focused Caster - 100th level requirement -Due to their advanced knowledge this character is no longer interrupted from cooling down when in "Cooldown Fatigue" from casting a spell.

Perk - Exceptional Brewer - 50th level Requirement - Pick One Potion at the beginning of the event and receive double the normal amount you would normally receive.(Cure potions may not be chosen).

Stuff like that.. these are ideas mind you..
Hi.. I'm Aidan!
Sunny
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Sunny »

I'm totally good with those, Phil. Awesome catch. Level 100 for that ability sounds really good, since it's a good skill. (and I'm level 100. *lol*)

I posted a few earlier:

Suggestions:
- % off of cooldown /recharge on spells?
- an extra basic potion?
- May carry 2 Master focus items, or 2 advanced? (not to be USED, but in case one gets blown up)
- May add 1 category to labs (basic can also count as advanced?)
- If you have sense magic, you may upgrade it with Greater Sense Magic? (you know I personally am lusting after this one for RP reasons)
- May brew an additional Master potion? (level 100?)
- Labs may not be interrupted (level 50?)

Just to name a few. *wink*
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

I think it being a perk is a great idea, however I think it would depend on how it was worded. Forgive me if I am repeating anything, my brain is frayed at the moment.

IE: Charge Focus: "A spellcaster may perform basic actions while recharging from a spell without interrupting the charge time. Basic actions include things like hauling a body, swinging a weapon at a damage level of one (Etc). Damage done to the character does not interrupt the charge time. Using charged or LP actions, becoming unconscious or being brought to zero still interrupts the recharge time."

If you wanted to limit it more, you could also say that healing done to the caster during the recharge time would still interrupt the charge. Mind probe has something similar.

And I wouldn't see an issue as a perk with this kind of restriction as a level 50 perk as opposed to a level 100 one.

I like this, because it gives the opposing side a reason to want to do more than just "tap" a caster to interrupt them. It gives them a reason to need to knock that mage out.

Even as a level 100 perk, unlimited free action (considering the spells AND skills available), seems a little unbalancing.

But I can ALSO see it being a pain in the butt having to do nothing and avoid being hit for 10-20 minutes.