Arcanist Discapline W/Alchemy

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Arcanist Discapline W/Alchemy

Post by Zeira »

When I first saw Alchemy as a discapline now compared to what it was I was kinda doubtful. I have never seen the sheer amount of potions to be a problem or having a wide selection of potions to be a problem.

Here are what I view to be advantages of the new discipline versus the old...

Advantages

-You no longer have long brew times
-You can mix & match with spells
-You do not need magical components
-Some potions have less disadvantages (i.e. Toughen Skin)
-You no longer need a recipie book to brew potions
-You no longer need to gather components

Disadvantages

-You can no longer brew as many low level potions
-You have lost a LOT of the versatility involved with alchemy
-Most potions have had their durations reduced to scene/combat

Now anybody who has looked at the new ption stuff has thought that they have lost all their brewing power. I thought so too so I did some math.

The average amount of brewing hours available to a 4th level Alcemist during and event is 36 (The average hours of game on time during an event) x 5 (The level of potions the alchemist can brew). The total amount of available brewing hours is 180.

As an Alchemist now I can brew 8 basic potions (Two kinds, 4 from a lab), 1 advanced (one kind), 1 master (one kind). Here ia an example of what I can brew with the current rule set, along with the old brew times for comparison.

(Toughen Skin was adjusted to level 2 because of the switch arounds. It no longer takes away LP but it only last for a scene now. Overall soak gain in the past was 3 and now it is 4. I equated it being worth +6 Cr version of the potion)

Cure 2x4 = (Lvl 1 x 12 brew hours) 48 Hours of brewing
Toughen Skinx4 = (Lvl 2 x 18 brew hours) 144 Hours of brewing
Poisonx1 = (Lvl 2 x 6 brew hours) 12 Hours of Brewing
Fortify the Deadx1 = (Lvl 3 x 18 brew hours) 54 Hours of brewing

Total hours of potions brewed = 258

In the old system you could not brew this combanation of potions. I know toughen skin provides a lot of the hours in this. If you replace Toughen Skin with two more Cure 2 potions it would be 210 hours of brew time.

The saddest part really is the lack of versatility in the Discapline, not the Path. I think it woul be cool if for every potion you learned in the Arcane Discipline you learned two potions. Yes, Some one could know all of the basic potions in game, but is that so bad? This would not apply to spells.

A full path Wizard, 4th level Arcanist could learn 8 basic potions 6 advanced and 6 master potions. I would let them sub out 4th lvl arcanist if they wanted but they wouldn't learn more basic potions.

A 4th level Arcanist could learn 4 basic potion, 2 advanced, and 2 master. Or 6 basic and 4 advanced if they swap out their 4th level ability.

Thoughts? Opinions?
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

The POINT was to remove the versitility.

It sounds like you think the potions are weak and therefore should get more of them? Is this correct?

The discipline needs to have 1 effect per level as that is how everyone else is setup, if the potion effects are too small/weak then we need to look at the potions. I believe the arcane effects are powerful enough as is and do not need additional help.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zeira »

Well there are a couple of potion I do think are very weak...I'll name them and tell you why I think that.

Camoflage - This should last until you discard the disguise. A scene is a weird time duration for a disguise.

Strength of Body - If you think LP and Cr are equal this potion is weak compared to the basic Toughen Skin. Anybody would take 4 CR over 2 LP. This potion is advanced with less effect. I would give it + 4 LP.

Strength of Mind - Make it immunity to Taunt, Fear, and Charm for a scene/combat. Raise it to Master.

Purify Body - A master level potion and all it does is take away Poison and Disease? And you can't be healed for an hour? Take away the healing restriction. Drop it to Advanced.

Advanced Cure should be 4 and Master should be 6. Give it some power!!!

Poison - When imbibed this potion does 10 Vorpal Poison. Unless there is big reason as to why we cant have damage in a potion that has to be drank.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Not bad suggestions at all. Any others?
Chris
Aurora
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Aurora »

I actually have a question on alchemy.

Why remove the versitility. The way I've seen arcane is you have a set spell and that's it.

With alchemy, maybe it's the baker in me or something but I see a little more play here with alchemy.

You mix some ingredients together and you have the potential to come up with something new and unique. In real life, I compair it to the trifecta brownies I came up with. A good friend gave me for my birthday filled with white chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, and semi-sweet chocolate chips.

I originally came up with a tri-fecta cookie, which wasn't a bad experiment and it's a good cooke but when I decided to put these ingredients in a brownie format...poof huge success.

But that's how I see alchememy, a process that could produce something new and unique from the norm and gives an alchemist more they can do.
Aurora Darksbane

Mage Hunter of the Old Code
Caldonian Genderman
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

We will not be instituting carps type of alchemy.

I detest, I mean really really detest a magic system where you become every other class in game which is exactly where our system was heading.

Take D&D clerics and wizards. Why play a warrior? I mean you could take a cleric and poof there is a host of spells that turn you into a warrior. heck for a cleric its a 3rd level spell called divine favor where you become a warrior with extra damage.

Wizard? Oh yeah lets look at epic level spells and such that riase your AC, and then tensors transformation..Poof your a warrior too.

Need to remove traps? Why be a rogue when you have the spell "remove traps"

The forever research and creation in a larp setting creats a magic system where for the cost of 1 discipline you get to do everything in the game. This concept..do eveything..is fundamentally against the entire concept of FH.

In FH potions have a wierd role. For one the potion maker is a backup healer. Not as good as a healer, but has the advantage of insta heals. This is why I like the suggestion of the master heal potion healing 6, and infact might need to be more considering how few master potions can be created. They are also like craftsmen since what they make can be given to other people for use turning everyone nto a pseudo spell caster/healer.
Chris
Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zeira »

Stone to Flesh - I personally don't see the appeal of this potion. I would say that while you are being turned to stone all incoming damage is reduced by 1 and you get +5 CR.

Skill mastery - Choose a single time based or charge up skill. The time it takes to use this skill is cut in half rounded up. This lasts for the duration of the combat or scene. When the potion expires the skill you used it on will take an hour to reload, even if does not have a reload time. Nothing can be used to shorten the reload time.(This one is kinda wonky)

Power of the Vampire - I know this potion was abused in the past. I'm confused about the part in the end about what happens when you drop to zero. I would take that out and just say that when you reach 0 the effects of the potion end. According to the wording of the potion you can't even use a weapon while under the effects of the potion and you don't get the ability to use fists. Maybe give them the ability to swin Fear for a LP? They only have 5 and can't heal...