Kandium

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Ok here is a reason:

The process to make kandium bars for some reason or another is no longer working. Alchemists are unsure if it is in the process or perhaps there is something wrong with the raw ingrediants, either way no one as of yet can explain what has happened. Some people surmise that the dwarves, upset that their valued secret has leaked into the hands of non dwarves did something..perhaps a ritual.

Exiting kandium armor appears to be un affted.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Smitty19
GM

Post by Smitty19 »

Those damn dirty Dwarves!

But I do like that as a reason
Serith Darkheart

"I dont make Threats....Only Promises"
Rhul
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Rhul »

My main question remains unanswered........

Is the way I have been playing Kandium as Rhul correct?
"BY THE POWER OF GRAVESBANE....

I.. HAVE.. THE.. POWER!!!"
Smitty19
GM

Post by Smitty19 »

CJ...we dont listen to you....you know that! (c:

Well at least I dont...Again I kid...

And the way you are playing it was the same I did when I was playing Voralen
Serith Darkheart

"I dont make Threats....Only Promises"
Rhul
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Rhul »

The process to make kandium bars for some reason or another is no longer working. Alchemists are unsure if it is in the process or perhaps there is something wrong with the raw ingrediants, either way no one as of yet can explain what has happened. Some people surmise that the dwarves, upset that their valued secret has leaked into the hands of non dwarves did something..perhaps a ritual.

I like it, Cris! Make it an in-game plot!!!

It's better than a waved hand and a "Meh, we took it out because we don't like it".

Player research into the matter could be the exact way for GM's to introduce differing types of armor, of at the very least new contacts with NPCs in the new "location" (though some characters are just returning).

BUt change it though. I'm tired of other races in the world sticking it to the PC base. Maybe it's an effect cause by elementals that is stopping the Dwarves from making Kandium as well. They could be coming to us to see if we are being hampered at the same time as them.

dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Just for note, that was never how Kandium armor worked. See the Soak section. Combat Reflexes is (or was haven't looked at the new rules) taken off first, not armor. Secondly, Parry allowed a warrior to avoid any major normal hit, thus saving their actual armor points for the first big vorpal call or at least well over halfway through their total soak. So really, you always got to choose when to use the Kandium convert.

However, that being said, no longer allowing players to create new potions and spells is a good thing. Players suck at coming up with new things that are balanced and the GMs don't have time to check out the potions as they come.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
celegar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by celegar »

dier_cire wrote:However, that being said, no longer allowing players to create new potions and spells is a good thing. Players suck at coming up with new things that are balanced and the GMs don't have time to check out the potions as they come.
really.....just really?

ok, first off, players do not suck at coming up with things that are balenced, because 90 percent of gm's/npc ARE PLAYERS.

second, so far as the gm's not having time to check potions as they come. the gm staff have a whole month at minimum to review and discuss the potions that are proposed, which is MORE than enough time to make a decision as to whether to playtest the potion or nix it.
YOU STAY SMART, YOU STAY ALIVE, DONT DO NOTTING STUPID.
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

celegar wrote: second, so far as the gm's not having time to check potions as they come. the gm staff have a whole month at minimum to review and discuss the potions that are proposed, which is MORE than enough time to make a decision as to whether to playtest the potion or nix it.
Don't forget the third option of telling the player it will take more time to research.
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

Players do tend to come up with abilities from a purely player perspective – which is ‘I wanna win’. I’d bet 90% of all submitted spell and potion research had to be nerfed before being approved. I’ve seen a number of research outcomes that should have been nerfed significantly more than they were – or plain outright rejected.

Also, a month is practically never enough time to discuss and playtest a player’s submission. NPC meeting are devoted toward producing a game for everyone – coming up with plots, advancing storylines, addressing rule and game issues that have come up, etc. They can’t spare hours upon hours on each individual PCs research request. GMs have lives, too – families, jobs, other hobbies. No one’s getting paid for their work – it’s all volunteer. PCs should not be trying to bogart the GMs every waking second.
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

doug, i have a man crush you.
Travis Cole
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

yeah, what Doug said and said well.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Rhul
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Rhul »

Players do tend to come up with abilities from a purely player perspective – which is ‘I wanna win’. I’d bet 90% of all submitted spell and potion research had to be nerfed before being approved. I’ve seen a number of research outcomes that should have been nerfed significantly more than they were – or plain outright rejected.

I must be in the 10% that taking away Research is bad for then, because the most complicated new Item I had slated to research at the first WH event of the year (as Garritt) was a

-----
'Scout Map'- costs the same to make and upkeep as a Sage Codex, but allows a player who has Scout to count a single companion w/o Scout as having a single level of Scout for the duration of the hint.

A scout can make it instead of a craftsman, but the map only 'works' for the scout that makes it (they would have to sign it as their character so GM camp can verify it).
------

It actually would encourage teamwork, where a Codex just makes one person better.

So in my opinion, research only being about plots is too limiting.