Out of Curiousity

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

GM_Chris
GM

Out of Curiousity

Post by GM_Chris »

Are there any skills or disciplines/path as a whole in the game that either have or do not have an armor restriction and you feel it needs adjusted?

For example we have some 4th level skills that raise base damage by 1 should these require either a dropping of a shield or decrease in armor?
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zeira »

I can honestly say I think armor restrictions are good as they are.

The only exception being the multitude of KO abilities. None of them should have an armor restriction. Your basically hitting them so hard that they fall asleep. The Vorpal KO is more like the nerve pinch, it requires a certain finess and thats why they are restricted to light armor.
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

im a fan of the more damage somthing can do, the less soak it should have, and the less damage, the more soak.

if a discipline can deal large amounts of damage, restrict its armor a bit, however, i think swash should be medium, and not light though.

though i would like to see more disciplines balanced that way, some even say no armor, because that is a large part of deffence, and if you cut the soak so much then the skills should be good.

my thoughts - Ark
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zeira »

im a fan of the more damage somthing can do, the less soak it should have, and the less damage, the more soak.
Well then Warriors should be limited to light. :D

I have learned something about larping I think. I doesn't matter how much damage you swing, It's about how many defences you have. People are not good at counting blows. It takes me just as long to kill a monster swinging "1" as it does swinging "2" even though statisticaly it should take me twice as long.

That's just my opinion.
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

if you take the path warrior, then suposedly you have spent your life training and such in combat, and they get a +1 damage if they use the skill and with downsides, though most seem to forget that.

as Ark being a warrior knight i wore armor once, as i was trained the best way to avoid damage is to not get hit :D

i still think real men dont wear armor 8)
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Ark's oppion masks my own.

My main concerns are actually the disciplines who has as their 4th level ability to swing plus 1 damage.

What are people's thoughts on those?
Chris
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

...if they get extra soak, reduce it to medium.

...if they dont, heavy is fine.

i had 20+ soak as a warrior knight without any kind of armor, i could have easilly had 30+ soak. but...i had very few actuall "skills"

be more rigid on armor rules, and find out just how much soak and damage you want things to do
Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zeira »

Warrior and Sage are currently the only paths that can wear heavy armor. 7 out of 25 disciplines already have armor restriction.

A Lvl 20 Common Human Warrior Pikeman in Garb & Light armor w/helm. 11LP 7CR 4Armor Total Soak=22

A Lvl 20 Common Human Warrior Pikeman in Garb & Heavy armor w/helm. 11LP 7CR 9Armor Total Soak=27

The difference between their soak is close to 20% or 5 hits. That doesn't take into account the fact that...

You pay for the phys rep
You pay in game to have it
You have to have it repaired by a craftsman before you can use it again
It actually slows your movement down, making you less efficent at fighting.

You could always make it so the +1 damge skills all cost a life point to activate and you cant use any other life point or charged skills while it is active. 5 second cool down time, can be used with Rage only. It would work pretty much the same way as Vorpal ability that Swashbuckler has.
Aurora
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Aurora »

Can we just stop tinkering with the rules please. Everything is fine the way it is. We don't need higher damage or anything like that cause to me that's when you enter CARPS territory.
Aurora Darksbane

Mage Hunter of the Old Code
Caldonian Genderman
Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zeira »

Nobody is talking about higher damage for the game. They are talking about lowering the potential soak for disciplines who can swing higher damage, such as Knight and Beast Hunter.
Aurora
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Aurora »

I think soak is fine. The knights and all do get to swing more damage and all then most normal people unless let's say a full-path warrior rages...

then you are looking at a controled 2 and a rage filled 2.

Now if the Knight is a full warrior to boot...

Knight 3....rage warrior 2...

Knight will put a beastie down quicker then warrior swining 2 but had to rage for it.

To me soak is fine...damage is fine....how about we see how a full year without any rule tweeking, rule testing of other stuff goes before we play around with the rules or talk about damage reduction, k?
Aurora Darksbane

Mage Hunter of the Old Code
Caldonian Genderman
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

We have changed rules in the last two years? I thought I was the veto monster of rule changes/
Chris
Rothek
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Rothek »

my thoughts are about the same as aurora's. if it ain't broke, don't break it..

but zeira, brings up a valid point as well, i can swing a maximum of 3 (that is with weapon focus headed and rage) and there are still npc's that can pose a significant challenge.

my thoughts are based very much so on the belief that all though these rules are very much necessary for the game to work, too much tweaking to something that already relatively works detracts from the role play.

just sayin.
Rothek HowlingFang
Den-father of the Howling Fang tribe.
friend and ally of the dwarves of Killeshandra.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Now a couple of your comments are intersting to me.

1) Leathality..This is brought up all the time. I have x soak or I deal y damage and the game is already challenging. You could swing x+5 or have 10000 soak or even swing 1 and have 4 soak and the game would be challenging. We set the difficulty based on how strong the player base not set the player base to where we set the monsters. :)

2) How does tweeking a mechanic like damage or armor restriction detract from RP? I could see how allowing people to wear jeans could detract from RP or how someone talking about their new car in game could detract from RP, but I am not understanding the mechanical tweek issue.
Chris
Crist0
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Crist0 »

I like armor restrictions the way they are. I wouldn't change a thing.
"Taunt!" (that means bring it...)