QUestions about how NPC's were able to do what they did

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

Azra
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Azra »

I know I got caught up in the moment, and caught myself machine gunning Mohdri. My apologies.

I don't like Melee, and I tend to get a little anxious when I have a hold of those fists.
Azra Celevares
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

It should be the weapon, not the arm since I can move the tip of the weapon an inch and move my arm 45 degrees.

All said and done, you still need to clearly call damage which is at max 2-3 calls a second.

And taunt has always been a nigh worthless skill since the removal of the melee attack portion (which was overpowered and abused). Basically, you can't flee but don't have to do anything special. If you are in a 2 or 3 on 1, you can still use normal tactics to avoid being swarmed and avoid damage. Not being able to attack others is still really nice (think protecting a healing circle and the like).
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

as the person that broke machine gunning, swinging 3 with a dagger, i would have to say all that angle crap is useless, just dont call fast, thats the best way to avoid it, do a mental 1 count between hits, i dont know, just dont try to find a loophole that you will get called on later, and say "there isnt a rule that says i cant" well there are not alot of rules, there are never going to be all the rules, just dont do it.
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

Taunt

Post by Torakhan »

dier_cire wrote:And taunt has always been a nigh worthless skill since the removal of the melee attack portion...
I've seen Taunt used a lot at Winter Haven to protect Healers from attackers, or keep enemies occupied, or trick baddies into their own demise. (And heard of Korrigan using it when playing "tag" too. ;) ) I don't think it should necessarily be thought of as an "offensive" ability (well, other than it in-character it's supposed to be quite offensive to the target, but that's just word-play/semantics), but also as a stratigic option to draw attention to one's self and away from other potential targets. The enemy doesn't need to attack you, but certianly give you their full attention and not move away (unless they're mindless or can resist mental attacks.) Of course, some of this likely requires NPCs and Players to react to a Taunt as more than just a call and with some RP ("TAUNT!" *packet hits target* "Hey, you undead-licking toad-washing moron! Get back here!"). That's just my opinion. :)
Arthur Dreese - West Michigan
I just want to see tomorrow, day by day to just survive. / But this place is built to kill me. No one here gets out alive. ~Alice Cooper "Cold Machines"
"Beware the designer who does not design to play his own game." ~Justin Achilli, Vampire: the Masquerade Developer
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

Yes, Taunt is also good to get an enemy within reach of an empath's channel. Which is especially good if the enemy is highly weak to magic.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

The Purpose of taunt was to simulate the "taunt" skil in Everquest so a warrior can hold agro on mobs.

The purpose was not to turn a person into an idiot, and when invisioned I was thinking mainly for NPC use only.

The more intelligent the NPC the less effect is going to have, if this makes sense
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

it does.

we hat taunt basically KILL one of our large psychotic mobs. if you taunted it, it never broke and it hunted you down and killed you to death.

but smarter people, as smart of the players can zero each other just the same.
Travis Cole
Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zeira »

Can you back away from an opponent when taunted?
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Zeira wrote:Can you back away from an opponent when taunted?
if it would be strategically wise, then yes. Can't run and can't move out of sight but you can use cover and range to dodge packets adn avoid being swarmed if it would be something the critter would do. An elite guard elf is probably smart enough to realize that running in to attack you or standing his ground even will equal death.

If you've ever played Final Fantasy 12 think of Taunt as Lure. It only means the monster has to attack that character, not how it may interact with the environament. They would still back away when injured, dodge, or heal if need be.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Now I dont have time to read the exact wording, but I thought you could choose to be feared when taunted.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

GM_Chris wrote:Now I dont have time to read the exact wording, but I thought you could choose to be feared when taunted.
Not sure if it's in the book that way, but I was always told if you did NOT have a weapon you could cower (Since you didn't have a way to attack them), but you couldn't "run away" because that would technically allow you to break off contact with the taunter all on your own, which would essentually make taunt completely useless.

Now if someone wanted to word it so the taunted COULD choose to have it affect them exactly as fear works mechanically(and not just as a "I can run away to break taunt" skill), I wouldn't have a problem with that.
Haku
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Haku »

I always thought of Taunt as the anti-fear. It just works the exact opposite of fear, where you can move towards the person or stand your ground... i.e. run away or cower...
~ Carpe Nocturn ~

Paer'An' Alla'Ana
Lightning Rider
Defender of the Flame
Honor Guard of the Last Grand Oracle
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

There was a good deal of machine-gunning going on - rapid fire damage with the weapon moving no more than 10 degrees. I didn't take any of the damage delivered in such a way after the first hit. Likewise, 9 Vorpal arrows were being whipped around corners. If the archer didn't lean around the corner and mime pulling back a bow string, but instead just whipped his wrist around the corner, I didn't take that damage, either.
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

The only problem with that Doug is that players (not necessarily you) would go out of their mind bonkers if npcs did not count hits, especially if no feedback was given as to why. I know I machine gun from time to time but don't think about it at that moment. All we wonder is why no one is falling. I am not necessarily advocating on the side of just taking the damage, only that some communication needs to take place so people don't think someone is simply cheating.
Eli
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Eli »

Brings back my previous post that when you call someone on rules in the middle of an adrenaline pumping fight, people DO get upset. It's happened to me in several larping situations.

Best example wasn't FH. Person fighting w/ two weapon began to swing right weapon at me while starting their call. Actually said first word of their call. Then at last possible second I blocked the blow. So they hit me w/ their left weapon and finished the call / last part of the second word. I said.. "really" and they stormed off. Later they realized what they had done and apologized. Doesn't always happen.

I do have to agree that reaching around a corner and tossing an "arrow" is cheese that is easily fixed, carry a bow! Or if too much cost, we made "bows" by taking what appeared to be a short staff w/ a hand grip in the middle and melting them a bit w/ a lighter to bend into bow shape and putting a piece of string on it. Does it fire, no, does it force you to pantomime a bow.. yes.
-Eli (Full Elvish: Elaith Vonaduran Craulnober)

There once was a man named Eli,
A man who claimed he could not die.
But one thing makes him wail:
That's when there is no ALE!
Thus his tale: with no beer, he will cry.

(The dark haired, green eyed mage child has faded into the past leaving behind one not quite an adult, but clearly no longer a child. The warrior-mage mixture that he has become can only be described as a survivor. )