3/5 time reduction
40%
5 minute reduction, except kill calls.
60%

Total votes: 15
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

cole45 wrote:Having to have a notecard is symptom of bad design.
Agreed!
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

Two things, the math was always easy for me because instead of subtracting I just count as normal, knowing that every time I hit an even number, a five second interval has passed for hero points (but I'm weird and math like that is easy for me).

That said, I don't disagree that it is overly complex. I'm just not sure the proposed solution is any better.
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

That is very true. As noted above. I'm looking for the easiest solution.

If another one is out there. That above was designed to be like the old hero point rules - kill calls.

a better one, would be excellent.
Travis Cole
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by General Maximus »

The simple solution is a hero point will cut the time of a skill in half and with rounding down. Simple, broad stroke, and anybody can do it quickly in their head.

The only issue is the power of a hero point dropped again. You give up power for simplicity.
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member
Location: Look over your shoulder... better yet... just keep your eyes forward.

Post by Atrum Draconus »

I understand that people may complain about a new thing, change is usually met with complaints not matter what that change is. I don't like the other option because it falls back to combat only skills being viable hero point expenditures. That was the main complaint before, that only combat skills worked for HP.

The proposed solution would make you have a chart of skills that it worked for. Does it work for 3, 5 or 8 boom? What about 15, 18 or 33? What about 12 or 15 KO?

That said if a way can be found that doesn't leave out certain skills, disciplines or paths I'd be all for it. I just don't know what that would be. To me this is the easiest and fairest way. And if people adopted Mike's counting method (2=5) then there really shouldn't be a problem. Or figure it out once and remember it. The simple fact is that all your counted actions make you remember numbers and count. If you want to use HP you have to either be able to count and substitute or remember 2 numbers. Which truthfully to me seems to be the easiest way. It's been proven over and over that people forget when things are excluded. So no kill skills will not work. People will use it anyway when they forget what exactly the writeup reads.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
Hand of King Chimeron Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

to be fair, the people that complained were not the normal reactionary people. It was well though issues, like Dougs.

It actually includes 1/2 for skills > 5 minutes, which are mostly non combat skills.
Travis Cole
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Atrum Draconus »

Don't get me wrong, I 'm all for something simpler, I just don't have any idea what that could be. I don't see the preposed solution as any simple or better. It does fix the 1 complaint of the current system but brings back the complaint of th old system AND adds a list of skills it doesn't work with which will cause ALL kinds of problems.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

I could do half no stacking. Thats where the complexity comes it.

or reducted to zero for aany non damaging skill. (knockout and sleep would be damaging skills) But again that gets into exclusions. I feel like I'm missing some simple solution.
Travis Cole
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

i do like that. *hero points can cut the time of skills in half rounded down, multiple hero points cannot be used in this way, 2 second minimum still aplies.

hows that?
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

The hero point time funkiness was really so that there could be a scalable skill, when we were toying with advanced hero point progressions, so making it a straight cut in half, minimum of two seconds kind of a thing would work fine for me since we abandoned the other idea
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Atrum Draconus »

Aah yeah, I never liked the stacking thing at all, but I think it was put in to keep HP powerful enough as well as making it better to have multiples. Take the stacking thing out and all of a sudden the 3\5 isn't all that complicated. Even if it's half, stacking is where the complexity comes in.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

here are the two

basic- -3 seconds per 5 seconds of charge
at 50- (-8 seconds per 10 seconds of charge (skills less than 10 may be instantly used)
at 160- (-19 seconds per 20 seconds of charge (skills less than 20 seconds may be instantly used)

new idea
basic- -1/2 charge time rounded down, 2 count minimum still aplies
at 50- -1/2 charge time rounded down, 2 count minimum still aplies, skills under a 30 count may be used instantly
at 160- -1/2 charge time rounded down, 2 count minimum still aplies, skills under a 60 count may be used instantly
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Or this one is not too bad.

time to cast reduction= B* dx/3dy where B is defined as the volume of a parapiped with the dimentions of x=sq1, y=sq2, z=sq3

Not too bad though it does reuieres a bit of diffy Q.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

No, chris. That won't work. You need to take the integral to a limit of Z.
Travis Cole
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

hey i dont use this skill but nobody is throwing out solutions..that humans can understand.