5 minute reduction, except kill calls.
60%

Total votes: 15
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

HP: time reduction issues

Post by cole45 »

I find the 3/5 time reduction to be annoying. The real problem is that the only fix I can come up with is also annoying.

What is easier?

3/5 time reduction or

less than 5 minute abilities reduced to instant except
any call including crush,vorpal,knockout,sleep,or damage greater than ten.(IE:Kill calls.)

skills greater than 5 minutes would be reduced by half.

(not potions, and spells. HP would NOT apply.)

I know both options are complex, so I'd like to find out which is easier.
Travis Cole
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by General Maximus »

What happens to calls that are greater than 10 but less than 5 minutes?
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

no drop. the same as the other kill calls.
Travis Cole
GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Phil »

Here is an idea.. it is one I had earlier when coming up with the Advanced rule system and may meet the two choices above in the middle.

Keep the 3/5 hero point system for everyone as is.. but allow high level characters to pick up Skill specific Hero point perks.. EX..

Hero point Perk - Basic healing - Due to their advanced Knowledge and experience a character with this Perk is able to summon forth amazing will to instantly heal his/her comrades. A charcter may spend a Hero point to instantly use the Basic Healing Skill.

Hero point Perk - Druid Mimic "5 Crush" - Due to their advanced knowledge and experience a character with this Perk is able to summon forth amazing will to instantly attack his/her opponent with their "5 Crush" skill. A Character may spend a Hero point to instantly use their Druidic "5 Crush" skill.

And so forth and so on for each skill that is deemed appropiate for an instant skill .. or any other way a Hero point could be spent for a specific skill.

Now while this may seem confusing at first remember two things.. I think Hero point perks would need Level requirements as well as the obvious that you must have the skill in question to take the appropiate Perk. And while there will be a lot of these types of Perks, people have to conciously choose them, so it should make remembering them easier.
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

I say keep the 3/5 time reduction (keeping it simple). If you don't want to do the math, just cut the time in half and round down. It's not as good as 3/5, but is simple and is close.
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

instead of cuting it in half why not just use that system, 1/2, 3/4, you know, quarters.
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

1. 3/5 is a insane number to try to calculate while someone is hitting you. once is okay, but multiple hero points are an issue. (i'd liek to see the stacking go away.) 'd like to get rid of "calculation" in combat as part of an HP.

Try this. Stand on your head and now take 3/5 of 1.5 hours. Now have someone pour water on your head and take 3/5s of it again. Not so easy now is it?

most people have a hard enough time counting down from ten while being hit, let along adding fractions.

2. Yes you could do half if it's easier, but really? who is to want to do that? You could just use it less is NOT a valid argument.

3. HP and Potions/spells should not mix. Spells and potions are balanced carefully against time, and this jacks them up.
Travis Cole
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

I agree that you should not be able to use more than one hero point at a time on a skill.

I also agree that the logic and physics of "heroically" brewing a potion faster than the standard brew time doesn't make sense. It reminds me of the TV comedy shows where someone is trying to up the temperature of the oven to decrease the cooking time of a cake to a minute or two. It doesn't work in the comedy shows, I don't think it should work here.

Spells for me are iffy (I know, if I say you shouldn't do it with potions, I should say the same with spells). However, do like the idea of someone using all their energy to up the strength or power of a spell. Perhaps there needs to be a dramatic effect to counter it. The heroic arcanist drops to the ground unconscious after using that much of his will and power.

Rather than a set time reduction rate, I would like to see a list citing specific skills you can use with hero points and how the hero points will alter the skill. Specific skills not on the list cannot be combined with hero points.

Perhaps it would be a good idea for hero points to only be allowed to be applied to Path skills only?
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

Rather than a set time reduction rate, I would like to see a list citing specific skills you can use with hero points and how the hero points will alter the skill. Specific skills not on the list cannot be combined with hero points.

Gah:

That's what I DON't want. MORE complexity. I want less. Broad strokes. If I have to look in a chartnto figure out what I can and can't do, I will die a little on the inside.
Travis Cole
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

Simplify it.

If you're an empath, you can do A, B, and C with hero points. If you're a healer you can do X, Y or Z.

Again, not every skill needs to hero point compatibility.

Also, there should be a desision how powerful we want hero points. The weaker hero points are, the easier they should be to obtain and more freely given out. The more powerful we allow them to be, the harder they should be able to obtain and the less there should be out among the players.

But that's probably also more than people want to deal with looking into right now.
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

of course if you are getting hit while trying to do the math, you probably couldn't get the skill off without being interrupted anyway. Not saying that it is good as is, just saying you couldn't use it while being wailed on anyway
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

Getting hit is an example of stress inducted difficulties, not a literal translation. *face palm.*

I find it amusing that this is the NUMBER ONE COMPLAINT i heard this year, and no one else is piping up.
Travis Cole
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

its true, i remember everyone stalling during a battle because of the calculations, that does give me a joke though, how many people does it take to figure out multiplication, in the middle of a night time cave battle???
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

The broad stroke is 3/5 time reduction.

If 3/5 is to diffucult do half's and round down. You are only lossing out on 10% which might not even be a secound on most skills.

And if you can't do the math in you head, figure it out before hand. A PC shoul dnot have more than a couple skills they would use a hero point on, so figure it out in advance.

This had be debated before and this was the solution to the issue.

Some of the points that came from that discussion was, no charge skill should be able instant casted.

I don't think you can get any simplier than what is in the rule book now.
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

this was debated over a year ago, before I was overwhelmed with complaints.

whether 3/5 is the broad stroke is why i put up the poll. I'd like to hear from a large player base than the people who created this rule.

"And if you can't do the math in you head, figure it out before hand. A PC should not have more than a couple skills they would use a hero point on, so figure it out in advance."

figuring out in advanced is an unacceptable answer. If should be simpler. HP are used ad-hoc in the spur of the moment, and should be designed this way.Having to have a notecard is symptom of bad design.
Travis Cole