Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Translocation and Compass

Post by Kaylan Chargeender »

From Joseph Paul Pacis Javier:

"Dear GMs, can we get a definitive ruling on how the Translocation and Compass spells work, please? Thank you very much!"

From Phil, VIA Angie:

"Also, per Phil, compass works on a 2D plane. If something you want is in a tree north of you, you will be directed North. Compass will not indicate 3D directions of up and down.

Also, if look for the object, Kaylan for example, you would have to know what Kaylan is.. easiest... You would have had to have seen it. If you are looking for the legendary statue of Ooomrah, you would have had to have seen it before, otherwise the spell really don't know/understand what you are looking for. If you have not been to, or have seen the cannibal village, compass will not tell y in which direction you can find it.

Compass would not tell you where the closest body of drinkable water is, but could tell you in which direction you left your water skin.
Also I'm pretty sure you can't find Kaylan since Kaylan is a person. Another skill is used to find people."
Last edited by Kaylan Chargeender on Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Knight of the Order of the Crimson Aegis
Morgause
Town Member
Town Member

Re: Translocation and Compass

Post by Morgause »

Thank you... how about for Translocation?
"I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars."

Lady Morgause - The Winter Witch
Daughter of the An'Irri & Oracle of the Weather Tradition
Chamberlain of the Guild of Seekers
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Well...how about it????

Did you have a question or are you just trying to see if everyone still likes it...."How about that translocation spell everybody?? Lets give it a round of applause!!"
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

Joe, can you better explain your question. From your facebook post: "For Translocation - what remains or can/cannot be taken when casting the spell."

From the Rulebook:
Translocation –24 Essence; 15 Minute Charge; Ritual (2)Translocation is a form of temporary teleportation. After thespell is cast, the caster has 30 seconds to target others (by touch).The caster may “teleport” themselves and up two other target people touched to one location known intimately (i.e. previously visited) by at least one person being teleported. Those teleported will be able to remain for 5 minutes (see a GM), after which time they will be immediately teleported back to the location they originally came from. Blind translocation (i.e. teleporting to a previously unvisited location) may be tried, but can often have unpredictable or even disastrous results (see a GM). Some monsters and/or locations may be impervious to teleportation/ translocation. You can only be under the effects of one Translocation or From Death’s Grip at any time.

Where are you getting something about remains or taking something?
Aladon
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Aladon »

I have a question on Translocation as well.

It's a ritual spell, so secondary casters can contribute essence to it. The effect is that the main caster touches two people and they come along with him wherever he's teleporting.

Question one, can people who aren't coming with the main caster contribute to the ritual, like five extra people standing around the three that are teleporting channeling essence into the ritual to send the three on their way?

Question two, do the two people riding along have to contribute to the casting of the ritual or can they just be along for the ride as it were?
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

1-The description states who goes...up to two others the caster touches.

2-The description neither states or implies those being transported have to contribute essence.
Last edited by Kaylan Chargeender on Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Aladon
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Aladon »

1-That doesn't really answer my question, I wasnt confused on the number of people that could teleport, I was asking if people who aren't teleporting can contribute essence to the spell per the rules of ritual casting, I would assume yes but i wanted to be sure before I learn the spell. (Gather Essence doesn't fit Aladon as well as I thought it would and I'm thinking about picking up some spells instead.)

2-That's what I thought, but I figured I'd ask as long as I was asking the first question.
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

1-My point was, the description answers your question, it is very clear on who gets transported. Only those chosen by the caster...go. NOT those chosen AND who contributed. Also the rules on rituals in general state who can contribute, and say nothing about them automatically being affected because they did so.

If they HAD to be transported...the description would state as much. I dont see how it could be any clearer.
Last edited by Kaylan Chargeender on Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Aladon
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Aladon »

Alright, understood, thanks for the clarification