Jack of All Trades under 2016-2018 rules

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Jack of All Trades under 2016-2018 rules

Post by Kaylan Chargeender »

I have a friend that played in 2013, and is a JoaT. She is pondering returning this year. How will they function under current rules? Specifically Armor limits and base essence?

I will be suggesting a structure change in the rules suggestion area.

THIS IS HOW IS USED TO FUNCTION:

Jack of All Trades
The Jack of All Trades is a new path that may be purchased by any player. Players may choose skills from the core rule book as well as the two expansion skills of “Use Shield” and “Dual Wield”. No other expansion skills may be purchased through this path.
Advanced skills can only be chosen within paths that the jack of all trades has at least two Basic skills. More powerful versions of skills cannot be bought unless the less powerful skill is bought first. For example, a Jack of All Trades could not pick up the Channel skill without first having the Lesser Channel skill.
Unlike other paths, players may not purchase Jack of All Trades skills individually, i.e. you have to choose Jack of All Trades as your primary path and buy them an entire level at a time.

Basic
Any 4 Basic Skills
Advanced
Any 2 Basic Skills
Any 2 Advanced Skill
Master
Any 4 Advanced Skills
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Knight of the Order of the Crimson Aegis
Zydana
GM

Re: Jack of All Trades under 2016-2018 rules

Post by Zydana »

2015 Rulebook (pg 12-13) wrote:The Jack-of-all-Trades, however, works differently, as it is more customizable. Players may choose non-swap-out skillsas well as “Martial Training” and “Dual Wield.” Advanced skills can only be chosen within paths that the jack of all trades has at least two Basic skills. Unlike other paths, players may not purchase Jack of All Trades skills individually, i.e. you have to choose Jack of All Trades as your primary path and buy them an entire level at a time. Your basic level would include any 4 Basic Skills, the Advanced level any 3 Basic Skills and any 1 Advanced Skill and the Master level any 4 Advanced Skills. The Jack of All Trades has 5 base Essence Points and is restricted to light armor.
The Jack of all Trades have special swap out skills that they can take at advanced and master level. Instead of taking a skill listed, the Jack of All Trades at advanced level may take Armor Proficiency, which reduces the armor restriction to medium armor. Likewise, at Master level, the Jack of All Trades may take Armor Proficiency again. If they take the skill twice, then they would have no armor restrictions.
2016 Rule Updates wrote: Path Specific Rule Changes
Jack of All Trades
1) Getting rid of it
2) Anyone currently playing Jack of All Trades can keep it until they die or walk off into the sunset
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Thanks, could not find that in the newest rules for the life of me.

I assume any Jack with skills that either no longer exist can replace those selections, and can also do so if a skill has changed in function or mechanics in a manner that is no longer useful or wanted by the PC??
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Phil »

Considering the player has not played since 2013, and they are a Jack of all Trades - they would be granted a re-write of their skills.

If they wished to continue to be a Jack of all Trades, then yes they could change their skills as desired. If they wished to re-write into an existing Path, they could do that too.
Hi.. I'm Aidan!
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Rommel, Panzer, M1 Abrams....
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin