Setting Feedback

What did you think of the last event? Post your opinions and disucss the comments of others here!

Moderator: Admin

Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Setting Feedback

Post by Ark »

I wanted to comment on your setting feedback (and slightly on the NPC one) as this is feedback and those are both awesome topics as well as both pretty darn vital to a game and its feel.

fast on the NPC one, as I was obviously not there I will not comment on what happened but on things I have seen previously at FH and WH as well as my own mistakes when I used such NPC's when I ran a game. it REALLY REALLY does create dependency, and even if the NPC's are mortal they feel like GODS to the PC's and do take away from the PC's who are supposed to be the heroes (at least that's how it was) I remember how often we would go to those NPC's for solutions and it does take power and control away from the PC's.

and the player driven NPC acknowledged royalty and titles and what not failed, interesting experiment, props for trying it, but its not fun, annoying, and it can die now.

moving into setting and this is a good one as it does tie in with the NPC's in the world. original Final Haven as well as Winter haven (and current WH for all I know) had good settings because of the chaos and danger within the world and the lack of established towns and cities (THE STUPID MILITARY IS TO BLAME IN HERE TOO!!!!!)

in OG Final haven if you played a farmer in Haven it made sense despite the danger, haven was a literal haven of resources, and the lands were wild and dangerous and there were some heroes gathering, there were not really safer places (ask the fishing village) so you were in a good place to try to make a living, and as safe as it could get in the world. (this is why armies and the military was stupid, it both detracted from the hero feel of the game and confused the setting as there were scattered crappy communities post cataclysm and everyone was struggling to get by yet we had standing armies of hundreds? when we could barely feed town? . . .really?

in current FH with so many established kingdoms and armies you really have to force yourself into a specific RP scenario to be in a terrible border shanty village full of fighting (both internal and external) with terrible things happening all the time. there is a king right over there, there are friendly armies right over there, castles and walls, safe farms and lands and towns and cities and rivers and homes etc. so many character concepts just would not be in the current setting. as well as its kinda boring, its just a normal uninteresting little village and a equally uninteresting scrap of land.

and saying we have to be out here and defend it or what not because the ENTIRE vanguard alliance cannot is made moot when NPC's show up from said supposed area that cannot help to save the day. . .really?

we won, we should have moved on, now its into epilogue territory after the trilogy were we have these great heroes out in a shanty town trying to find reasons why all we had accomplished both exists and is awesome yet cannot help us. I never read that in lord of the rings.

PS: fan of "traditional Western-European-Tolkien-esque fantasy setting"
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Re: August 2016 Feedback

Post by Kaylan Chargeender »

it REALLY REALLY does create dependency, and even if the NPC's are mortal they feel like GODS to the PC's and do take away from the PC's
Never had that issue, I've only seen then encountered when they should be logically encountered.

Code: Select all

who are supposed to be the heroes (at least that's how it was)
PCs aren't supposed to be heroes, they are supposed to be characters, controlled by players, in a story told by staff and players. Some choose to be idealistic heroes, some murderous villains, some just typical supporting figures; but they are supposed to be playing roles the players created for the PC, and not all players create PCs intended to be heroes.

I remember how often we would go to those NPC's for solutions and it does take power and control away from the PC's

This sounds more like it made YOU dependent and your ASSUMING it makes everyone do that, I have seen no evidence of it.

and the player driven NPC acknowledged royalty and titles and what not failed, interesting experiment, props for trying it, but its not fun, annoying, and it can die now.
Really, cause it seems to be working fine in all the games I have attended.

moving into setting and this is a good one as it does tie in with the NPC's in the world. original Final Haven as well as Winter haven (and current WH for all I know) had good settings because of the chaos and danger within the world and the lack of established towns and cities (THE STUPID MILITARY IS TO BLAME IN HERE TOO!!!!!)

Actually, logical game world evolution on the part of the staffs plot writing is what brings us where we are.

in current FH with so many established kingdoms and armies you really have to force yourself into a specific RP scenario to be in a terrible border shanty village full of fighting (both internal and external) with terrible things happening all the time.
I have seen MANY scenarios used by the different players coming to the events, if you feel your have to chose just one, that is better attributed to your personal roleplaying choices, instead of plot/story....

so many character concepts just would not be in the current setting.
the same was true about the initial FH setting...

as well as its kinda boring, its just a normal uninteresting little village and a equally uninteresting scrap of land.
its never been boring for those who make the effort to flesh out and actually role play the PC they created, since every PC has their own goals to seek out and do not have to wait for plot to hand feed a player things to do.

and saying we have to be out here and defend it or what not because the ENTIRE vanguard alliance cannot is made moot when NPC's show up from said supposed area that cannot help to save the day. . .really?

This is just a lack of info, had by the posters PC, on why the PCs were sent there. The PCs weren't sent to the Wildlands to "defend" anything.

we won, we should have moved on,

that is what happened...we moved on to the Wildlands....
Last edited by Kaylan Chargeender on Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Knight of the Order of the Crimson Aegis
GM-Taki
Town Member
Town Member

Re: Setting Feedback

Post by GM-Taki »

Hello all! In order to preserve the event feedback thread for event feedback, I've split the topic into two different sections.

Also, as a general reminder, please be courteous and considerate to each other on the forums.
GM-Taki - Final Haven GM, Winter Haven GM, Editor of the Rulebook Project.
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Re: Setting Feedback

Post by Ark »

yo thanks Taki
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.