June 2016 Feedback

What did you think of the last event? Post your opinions and disucss the comments of others here!

Moderator: Admin

Nick
Town Member
Town Member

June 2016 Feedback

Post by Nick »

Lay it on us! What was good? What was bad? What was ugly? Every thought and feeling counts!
"Seek the truth. Behold the truth. Reveal the truth. That is the law and the whole of the law."
-Pious Flea, Legion/Dani
Zydana
GM

Re: June 2016 Feedback

Post by Zydana »

Since I failed to get last event's feedback up, I thought I ought to get on this as soon as possible. :)

Player Apathy - HOLY BALLS!!!! This would be my #1 complaint for both last event and this event. I know that the FH staff can't do anything about this but seems to be a huge problem. Last event it caused me to break character. This event I tried to stay a bit more quiet (har-har) and eventually said something... as much in character as possible. I think there were at least 2 plots/situations it took people over an hour (maybe 3 hours) to get people together to actually start a plot. UGH! Are people just not interested in the situations/problems the NPCs are bringing to us? Are we not interested in the current story lines? Our game staff needs to know if you're unhappy with these things, otherwise they can't make them better. What sort of plots do you want to see? What drives your character? - PM a GM if you don't want to publicly answer.

I was VERY HAPPY to see Karen make an appearance. Mike, tie her down and make sure she is brought to each event.-Thanks! Karen giggles inspire happiness. I didn't realize how much I had missed them.

Ga'Vin in the Cellar - Best Plot of the event... seriously.

Eli - Darn you and those elven name day anniversary rituals. Elves always have very long parties - your absence was noticed. Happy Birthday.

Quest for the Goblet - This is a rare instance where I wish the difficulty of the plot (specifically combat) would have been scaled up. Even though the group wasn't huge, I think we were all well-built veteran characters. Those of us not working directly on the puzzle were kinda bored and would have probably liked more action. This is supported by Lemmy saying, "make them large again!" when a wrong answer for the puzzle briefly increased the size (difficulty) of the golems. Clearly, this was all Cenric's fault. (I actually found it interesting that Cenric went with us.)

The Sphinx and the Ga'Vin tunnels - I feel this consumed most of our (my group's) pre-game break Saturday. After being stumped and suffered a great deal of casualties (who were also stumped ...really bad joke), we really needed to get smacked with the clue by four. We thought we had a few good ideas - and admittedly, some pretty bad ones. We hit a wall pretty hard and became discouraged.

<breaking here for the moment to leave work>
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

Were you planning on leaving more feedback or was the rest of that feedback in character :)
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

<Next day, back at work. Kinda disappointed that no one else left feedback in that time>

Sphinx Plot cont. - Admittedly, I'm disappointed we were unable to guard the sphinx, rescue the sphinx, assist the sphinx, complete the ritual, etc. Again, part of this is player apathy, part not understanding how to fix mistakes, and not understanding what we needed to do.

Brad - *click* *click* *click* :D

I've heard complaints from other players that too much was thrown at us early on. I'm not sure I agree. I think part of it was matter of getting off our butts and actually taking care of the stuff thrown at us rather than sitting on our hands, ho-humming about it and letting stuff accumulate to the point it gets overwhelming.

Ga'Vin Battle - I was under the impression that this would be the end of the year huge battle. I'm not sure if this is still the case, and we dealt with only part of the force, or that part of the story is complete. Overall, I really don't like battling around the dinning hall. I don't like the cement stairs and porch, or the larger rock off to the side. I think the conditions were far worse the last one day we had with the outside battle on the porch with snow and ice. It might just be my mom-sense going off, but I have a fear that someone is going to lose their footing, or get bumped just right, fall and crack their head open on the corner of the cement stairs or porch. Those side porches are even scarier. (It was pointed out after the battle that apparently no one knows how structure point damage works VS reinforced buildings.. or structure point damage interrupts structure point repair. I blame Phil.)

Counts - one count is one second. There seem to be some people that don't have a concept of how long one second is. I know it isn't an issue with being faster due to reduced times, I listened to people count - it is by far too fast. My suggestion - between events, if you use a microwave, watch it and practice counting down with the microwave. This will help you learn the pacing of about how long a second is. :D Not mad. Not pointing fingers. I'm just pointing out and observation of something that can be easily fixed.

Mike - "Oh, this is just the game we play." - Cenric :lol:

**EDIT** I wanted to point out that for some reason, this event a handful of players gave Kami some high quality/high praise complements. While it's appreciated, I fear they may be giving her a complex! (... yet another complex??) FH players are awesome!
Last edited by Zydana on Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

GM-Mike wrote:Were you planning on leaving more feedback or was the rest of that feedback in character :)
I was busy typing it at my desk at work.. for some reason, people keep coming up to my desk and interrupting me! :roll:
NPC Christen
Town Member
Town Member

Post by NPC Christen »

Can has more feedback from people, please? Really... we NEED it. In order to make events better, plots you want to see, pacing that you appreciate... we need to know what you don't like as much as we really do need to know what you DO like. Please take the time. It means more than you know.
Haku
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Haku »

Feedback for the June Event
Ugly - Player Apathy... I know this probably had a lot to do with the heat and humidity, and I also realize that this is more of a player problem than a GM one, but player apathy seems to have reached an all time high. There really didn't seem to be any sense of urgency from the player base all weekend, instead I heard a lot of "eh, we'll just wait for them to come to the tavern". I think the GM's need to come up with ways to avoid big battle plots that we all know are going down on Saturday night. People seem to forget that this is a dynamic world we are playing in, and player apathy should have real consequences.

Combat and safe fighting. Some people need to have a chat with the weapons/fighting marshal, this needs to be policed better

People coming unprepared for a weekend in the woods. It's hot, there's bugs everywhere, most of us run around in the woods... If you can't afford to bring your own hydration supplies and bug spray, maybe you shouldn't come out for the weekend. I'm all for sharing is caring but I'm not going to continue to bring multiple cans of bug spray out only to have them used up by people who don't know how to ask if they can use it.

Bad - It seemed pretty plot lite this weekend, I don't know if it's because the player's seemed unmotivated to do things other than prepare for the big fight, or if it was a GM thing. I don't like forcing my character into a situation that he would never be in, but I as a player don't feel that it's fair to lockdown a gm for a few hours just because my character doesn't agree with the rest of the town or because my character has more important (to him) things to do.

Heat & humidity & bugs

Good - First off, check in was such a breeze! I really liked the different stations, it seemed to keep things moving fairly quickly. I don't think more than three people (one at each station) should be allowed inside during check in, it seems to help with limiting people who are inside to hang out.

Having Karen back!

Joriel powerslide while swinging for damage inside the tavern

Valkin' Vi' Divination - hands down my current favorite skill in game (probably means it should be looked at after the season)

The quality of roleplaying that I've come to expect from Final Haven events. Didn't witness too much OOC talk or breaking character

DRASTIC reduction in game-stop effects during active combat. This was probably helped by the fact that we didn't have too many pure spellcasters

For the most part, it was a great second event
~ Carpe Nocturn ~

Paer'An' Alla'Ana
Lightning Rider
Defender of the Flame
Honor Guard of the Last Grand Oracle