August event feedback

What did you think of the last event? Post your opinions and disucss the comments of others here!

Moderator: Admin

Ark
Town Member
Town Member

August event feedback

Post by Ark »

Event feedback time.

Had a very great time, was worried when it stormed on the way to the event, but that was all the rain for the weekend so glad to get that out of the way, the weather was nice after that and there was a FANTASTIC lack of mosquitos!!

actual event feedback time
-Friday there were some waits, but I know that staff was going to be loosing people after the first night so Friday was more jam packed then it has historically been. however I was confused at the wait for the red x plot, as it had a hook sent in and was planned for that night, so I am not sure why that seemed to surprise the NPC's so bad when we actually showed up to do it. but as I said, Friday was jam packed so I will let it go.

-the actual red x plot, some logistical issues on the x's (there were not sticking to the trees and some fell on the ground, so it was a little longer/impossible to find them all, however I know we had found enough to leave and further staying was just greed on our part at that point. there were some call and skill issues that came up as well that had unintended consequences but those have been brought up in private and I know they are being addressed. however, scream is hard, the PC's have no counter what-so-ever in the rules, and you nearly gave Marcus a panic attack.

-the power of pim, Ark was very disinterested in this, and so tended to avoid and pass onto haven proper any information and plots that came our or his way about it. this was on purpose just in case it looked liked we "missed" anything. there are lots of plots and many a battle, some times I just like to let some pass me by. favorite quote from mike though "You BASTARD!, they're CUTE!!!!!"

I have nothing really bad to say about the event or plots in general, what I did do I had fun on, when I was lazy and just hung out I had a lot of fun as well (we had no fire Saturday night, but we did have a helm to sit around)

points of note or fun.
-the banter during the red X
-Nelkie and Shane showing up :D :D :D
-sitting around the head Saturday night.
-the chalice I didn't realize was not mine to be using
-The Staff, honestly did a great job and were super awesome on every question, comment, or chat I had with you guys at NPC camp.

PS: Brian helped a little old lady with her groceries and Taki has photographic evidence!!!!
EDIT: you may have killed me, but my will is done regardless!!
Last edited by Ark on Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:38 am, edited 4 times in total.
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Re: August event feedback

Post by Kaylan Chargeender »

Ark

PS: Brian helped a little old lady with her groceries and Taki has photographic evidence!!!!
I have created a kick starter to hire an assassin to obliterate Ark, please feel free to wander over to turnarkintoagreasyredspot.com and join in on the fun and support a Noble cause...cause I hired Noble...and he is overpriced...
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Knight of the Order of the Crimson Aegis
Levi the Bison Lord
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Levi the Bison Lord »

In general I really enjoyed this event. I feel that while I didn't go on many plots I had a great time just roleplaying in the inn and with some characters I hadn't met in the past. Playing Levi and then Faust (two very different characters in my opinion) was an interesting experience to stay the least.

I went on my first red x plot this event with a character with no real talents, which made it even more fun...near the beginning. Similarly to many of the other players I got pissy the longer it lasted, this wasn't because of any particular reason other than the length and the tiny amount of hope that was left near the end.

I think when it comes to fighting it seems like the majority of big battles happen in the middle of the night, when using projectiles or when you get disarmed it can be hard to find the weapons. It would seem more efficient to have less sitting around in the day and more fighting when it's safer and easier. That's not to say we should rush to the big battle and sit around for the rest of the event, but a good mix in the day would be nice.
Levi the Bison Lord:
Ruler of Bison Isle, "Terror" of the Southern Islands, and Merchant of The Redwind

"Buffalo and Bison are NOT da same ting!"
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

I want to thank Angie and Paula for the soups and the meal plan as well as DOUG for washing dishes when actually asked. I did reward him with AC while he did it so that was that.

Most the roleplaying this event was this event was top notch. I enjoyed the look on Fionna's face when the the captain of the guard offered to take me away in chains.

Shout out to the dwarves for taking the heat off me for five minutes. :) I appreciate the help so I can get back to scheming.

Kami's plot was amazing. Brad has been hitting story plots right out for a few event now. I didn't see this this one coming. I also super loved the banter.

Mike's scardy mouse plot is great. I also LOVED no one would come out in the morning.

RED X PLOT
it was a red x. we knew that going in. Jared told us that the puzzles and the monsters were going to get harder as we went.

We had no way of knowing WHAT the king wanted us to get or ANYWAY of identifying which puzzle it was behind so we had to get them all.

Here's the rub. The tape fell off the trees. That shouldn't be on us for your predictable failure. at that point we should have been given some more data and AT least the item we needed to solve the thing.

also this had no intermediate loot. nothing left anything to scalp or sell which means it was all or nothing. or in our case nothing. (red x plots plots are supposed to be festering with loot thats the only reason we go. I went and I took Marcus JUST for loot to pay my magical woodchipper and I left deeper in the hole than when I started it.)

The Power of Pym.

the NPCs attacking us in NPC camp while we were waiting in for MIKE to be ready was super annoying and it set a sour tone for the entire fight. Mioke looked like he no control over his npcs and it felt like that for the rest of the plot.

first battle. keep two monsters from getting there for ten minutes. easy enough. Tie stop.....which then trigger an endless number of re-spawns so thick that we could have built a wall around them twenty monster thick......(it felt like we got punished for the easy solution.)

The fight leading up to the drake was good. (again no loot. At least that's what I was told. when Cirrus and Ben went back they got stuff.....Maddening.)

NPCs were charging, swinging to hard and machine gunning. if I could here those long claws being hit so hard all the way across the battle? too hard.

Actual drake.

we couldn't defeat it save with out npc help. and even when it was down we still couldn't kill it it took a npc and then we diodn't even get the viceral kill. she got her pet back and there was clearly nothing we could do about.

again. NO...Loot. we killed a dragon and got hot air and naughty looks.

The dragon fight.

When did the name of a spell suddenly become the actual spells effect? the roleplaying effect of a spell should never give a mechanical differance inn battle. in FH we don't ice calls. we only have magic calls. why was my 10(not even ten magic) any different than that from a warrior or rogue?

dragons are made of magic and disenchant did nothing.

things that did nothing to the dragon.
Any spell.
charm
shatter
disenchant
banish
repel
curse barely worked
(my 10) but other's worked. (abaddon is not an ice mage. it should have been fine.if he had said fire would if have worked? if so that's wrong.)
knockout
vorpal knockout
I couldn't animate the broken pieces of the dragon either which seemed petty.

we were forced to grind it down barely.
the dragon fight felt poorly planned and terribly rewarded. I think it should have been an ICe drake we could at least fight on our own. the npc helping us made us feel like children playing at war.

This event felt like a stinker to me. NPCs need to be reigned in. (pm for names but I gave them to mike.) If it wasn't for fionna, marcus, kami and Brads awesomeness I would have had bottom barrel event.
Travis Cole
Alinar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Alinar »

Friday night was a complete waste for me. For once I felt reasonable compulsion to go on a Red X plot and was excited about finally doing so. Then the worst kind of plot came in - one NPC Camp should well know to avoid - a babysitting plot. An NPC who was far too dangerous to be left alone tied me down all night while a few went off on a plot to cure him and everyone else left for the Red X. For several hours several PCs had to sit around and chat with an NPC who was hence unavailable for any real plots that night. I think that was the single worst event night I've had in 15 years of LARPing.

Saturday started slow. NPC Camp said a half dozen plots had gone in, but I certainly didn't see much. The plot involving the wizard couples was okay - a few reasonable battles and a sorting out of the crime at the end, but the lead-in and build up indicated far more was afoot than psychotic lust. We expected a Big Bad and ended up with a crazed lover. A disappointing ending.

The quest for COCOTA's tea was more than a little outrageous. It started out fine - a special brew was required to stabilize a strange magical being. When the monsters started attacking, we became involved in a hard fight. When the monsters proved infinite, we became ridiculously overwhelmed and had to fight a retreating battle uphill. A number of PCs died. And what did we get for this extreme effort and high sacrifice? The tea stabilized him for just a few hours - a practically worthless prize. A few of us received minor buffs for the rest of the day, but in all the effort and loss greatly exceeded reward.

The battle to free the Ice King and Queen seemed pointless. The attacking drakes were infinite in number - until the king and queen were freed, then the drakes magically ceased to be.

The battle to reach the throne, however, was nigh perfect. a variety of strong opponents, against which smart fighting and good tactics could prove themselves. That. Was. FUN! Then we had to fight a dragon. I understand why we needed the help of the Ice King and Queen - it was a dragon. Without something powerful aiding us, it should have been able to simply will us to die. It did have an epic feel, but the points Travis made stand. Why did it have to be a dragon? Any plot that forces to bulk of the PCs (who had been employing excellent tactics) to huddle in a safe zone and sit out the majority of the battle is a plot gone awry. And while the ending had humor, the previously felt epicness tragically drained completely away. We had our butts handed to us by a freakin' misbehaving pet.

All in all a bottom of the barrel event.
Grimm
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Grimm »

I've read the feedback that came before me... and whilst I agree with some of the points, there are others that I'm not in line with. Some of it comes from the fact that I come to FH really for one reason; to hang with my family in costume. We have a character concept we like, a good attitude, and almost no expectations. Just being there together is reward for us. All the loot is gravy. Not having loot can't take away from our event because we never come in expecting to get any. Since there's no more upkeep, and so no stress of starving, we can just come and have fun. That, it seems, makes it really easy for us, as a whole, to have fun. The one element we didn't like is gone, so everything else is a good time.

We pick a plot, maybe two, in the whole of an event... and do it. If it looks like main plot, we step aside and leave it to those who really enjoy being super invested in the setting and main arc. We've been that group before, we've had our time. Now, we're completely happy just being on the sideline and helping when really needed. It's our policy as a group to let others shine on main plots, because we've been there and are completely content to step aside and be secondary. We enjoy secondary. We -want- to be like Jim. *wink* I know I can speak for the whole of the Seraphim when I thank everyone for letting us kinda stand to the side. You take the lead and let us follow, and we very much appreciate it.

For the most part, we 'went' on three plots. We helped the folks get started on the Power of Pim plot. Seeing, however, that it was likely to be the main plot for the event, we kinda took the off ramp because we try not to get overly invested in main plot. Almost immediately, however, the fun Bovine Kings came along with a Red X hook. Since we've been looking forward to one of these forever... I feel like maybe the main issue with this was mostly information. Only a few people got the hook, or spoke to the dying messenger. Information might not, from a character point of view, have gotten out there and thus the confusion as to goal. I don't blame that on the staff. That's on us. ^_~ Yes... some of the X's fell on the ground. We found all of those, though. We also had the way out within 3 puzzles. So, anything after that, admittedly, was just us being greedy. My only true issue with this plot was that it was puzzle heavy, and yet with a scream that interrupted us that often... we couldn't use Recall. I was made to understand that the monsters were never meant to use scream THAT often... and that the call of scream is being looked into. All in all, I had fun. I'm a sage and so puzzles are my bread and butter. SUPER thank you to all of those who kept me safe and helped me decode the puzzles. Sadly... almost half were wrong and thus blew up. >.< I should have taken more care. I'm sorry.

The Sand Mine plot was just a blast, start to finish. Our group used good cooperation and tactics, which made everything super fun. There was great role playing, teamwork, and diversity in the encounters. Even the combat had some puzzle elements which I super enjoyed. The conclusion ended up causing some SERIOUS repercussions and consequences for myself and some others on a role playing level, the conflict of which will change my character forever. I love when something seemingly simple becomes so very 'life' changing.

CotCotA: I wish I had been clever enough to ask for that to be written down to begin with. Grimm's one rule... and the player let her down. >.< I wasn't involved with the early parts of this plot, just the later. He was like a bright shiny toy... and dire temptation. I looked at this plot as less of a one off than as the hook for something much, much bigger, which it was. He wasn't the point, he was the hook for a big pay off next event. I'm good with that. We kinda felt like we were at our wits end for information, but people more clever than me figured it out so all was well!

I would like to thank the staff for bearing with us and knowing that we don't -want- to be entertained at all moments. I had SUCH a great time chilling in character around the ol' skull helm. If my group had wanted something to do, we would have come to NPC camp and let 'em know. We appreciate that you always listen to our needs and desires and do your very best to let us have fun in our own way.

As always, Matt, Eric and Erik, Jim, Ben, and Kiel... we love you. It was awesome to get to role play and hang out with you boys. Had a great time puzzling with Travis too... you make me better at being me!

At the risk of sounding like a suck up... because I have been on the other end of the event as staff... perhaps a little bit of perspective. There are things on the PC side that need work too. We have players who refuse to do some growing up. I saw some people being outright mean to others... for no reason. Poor Paula. For shame on the person who got in her face. >.< Others, rather than collecting all the info and making things clear, charged off and put people in danger. When you don't have a properly constructed group you invite exceptional challenge. Yes, you get impatient... but that can easily get a party killed. I think we could all perhaps do a little to just... be NICE. I know this is funny coming from me who often plays bitchy characters... but I heard more mean, bitchy, snarky interactions than ever. Remember that others are here to have fun too.

If scream gets worked on I will be happy. All in all, I had a great event. I created a character and concept where it is very hard NOT to have fun. I understand that the staff had some serious challenges this event, being down staff and other things, and the fact that you guys could pull off what you did with what you faced... kudos! I am well aware of the massive amount of work you put into events, much to my irritation losing my hubby to it all the time, and I remain simply grateful. This is a hobby for you too... so please try not to get too discouraged. There was good this event to balance the negative!

Grimmorie, Highborn of the Tempest, Knight of Star Strewn Seas, and Seraphim Captain of the Incorruptible Truth
Formerly of Bedlam, lost of Moon Descending
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Would love to hear more, even if it's just piling on. The game doesn't improve without negatives. Also, be specific if possible or pm me if you don't want to flame anyone. Each of us who run the game only see a fraction of what goes on, so the clearer the picture you can paint, the easier it is to address.

Thanks everyone and please do keep it coming.
Kiel Reid
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kiel Reid »

Friday I came in a little late. I wasn't able to get ready in time to do the red X plot. Not that I was really interested in that action. It's been a while since I have played so I wasn't really sure how I could really throw myself into some things. So I waited at the tavern.

A random wood worker came in because bugs were eating his wood. It was a swarm so I figured I could take control of one but not all of them. Surprisingly it took over the whole swarm. After they were disposed of we tried interacting with the wood worker. If there was something you were trying to seed in any way that made sense I couldn't figure it out.

"My wife and family are missing"
"For how log?"
"Two moons"
"Where is your house? Maybe we can help."
"It's two weeks away."
"What are you doing out here?"
"I'm building a library for my daughter because she loves books."

It was just a painful interaction. I gave him some crap in character and moved on.

A random guy came in who wanted to us to do a teamwork test. I was excited but then we played cards. While I enjoyed the card game, It is not conductive to adding to my immersion or LARP experience. Off to bed.

When I woke up I headed to tavern. When someone said there are two things are flying towards the tavern. I shot them out of the sky. Go figure the one RP plot I might have had a chance of to be a part of I destroyed.

Then it was off to go get a cup. The concept was cool. The fighting required strategy and teamwork. Until I got shot in the face with an arrow. An arrow that was not properly padded. While I understand accidents happen in combat and I'm not mad about getting hit in the face, an unsafe phys rep can be avoided. That ruined a plot that I was otherwise having fun on.

After game break I happened upon Jared's magic guy after everyone was beaten up. Instant arcane spells and potions are clunky and bad from a mechanical stand point. The interaction was OK and it was nice of him to allow us to stretch skills to learn more. However it seemed like a whole lot of work for folks for a whole lot of nothing. I don't mean that from a "loot" stand point. I mean that from a "Fulfilling interaction" stand point. It seemed like a preview for next event.

Meeting with the leaders of the Ice Beak tribe was good role play. The resulting RP after was great as well. However at around 9PM on Saturday my event was over. This was because nothing else happened. (I know there was an Ice Drake plot or something but I didn't have a chance to join in)

Final Haven to me has never really been about heavy combat, looting dungeons and winning. It's been more about the roleplay. Whether that be dramatic or comedic, it has always been at the core of the experience. It is the staffs strongest asset so I find it strange how under utilized it was at this event. To me things just felt mechanical. Going through the motions.

Did I enjoy my interactions with my fellow players? Absolutely. However when I think about my interactions with the staff from an in game standpoint I feel let down.
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

Despite my issues in getting to the event, which pretty much killed my time there on Friday, I had a pretty good event – but I might be a bit bias.

I again enjoyed the NPC recognition and believe I played Kami just as she should have been despite what I as a player anticipated. I was quite tickled when Kami could collect a group of people to help rescue the courier’s son with only a series of nods even though most of them seemed to of gotten distracted and never made it to the plot. I have lots of love for Brad for his roleplaying while we were in our little room together. I’m somewhat proud that Kami didn’t give in to pressure was able to effectively utilize a knockout like any true Valkin’Vi. I still struggle with my actions at the resolution of the plot – but it was a significant moment for Kami. I’m happy that there’s an opening for a potential continuation of the … issue. Again, Brad, you were fantastic and I giggled inside at that final joke. I’m sad you left the event early and I didn’t get to thank you in person for this event.

I feel my late arrival sabotaged the meal/soup plan. I feel it’s my fault there weren’t as many participants and A LOT of soup came back home with us. Thank you Dani for taking over the eggs – but I was slightly lost with nothing to do for breakfast (but I guess that’s good too). Doug, thank you for being there and stepping up as promised to do the dishes.

The final other-world, king and queen, dragon plot seemed to come out of nowhere. I’m not sure if there was a lead up to this that had gone unmentioned previously during the event or not. Anyway, this battle was just off. I like the big Saturday night battles to be life-threatening and challenging, but I felt the NPCs(people, not characters) were being rather aggressive – as in out for blood rather than presenting something challenging for the players.

There was a huge issue of people plowing into people (from both sides). At some point I went down, and when someone came by to pick me up to drag me, a swarm of attacking NPCs were on us, running into my body before I could even get to a stand (they did apologize at that second though. Thank you.). I watched a huge group of PCs need to dive out of the way as someone ran up to them to attack – had the PCs not dived out of the way, they would have been like bowling pins to a ball. I was quite concerned about PCs diving into a group of PCs in our little safety shack.

I do like the idea of having a role playing feel to spells, but agree with Travis. You can’t let the name of a skill/path/discipline conflict with the ability. Remember the discussions of WITCH hunter and Druid? I will admit to being caught up in this earlier this year at WH and not allowing counterspell to counter a creature’s natural ability… because it wasn’t technically a spell (I will continue to apologize for that as I didn’t realize how powerful it had made the creature). Also, when Attack of the Elements started having a beneficial effect on the creatures, it really felt like it was because the GMs/NPCs were disappointed that they had outted Artic Blast earlier and no one either could, or would use it.

I personally don’t care about loot, but I’m a firm believer that the more difficult the plot (be it in combat, diplomatic relations or role play) the greater the rewards (rewards does not have to = loot). I understand the complaints of loot from those who have already posted (who are all veteran GMs/NPCs of various larps) – especially the complaints of no reward on the Ice Dragon plot (even if no physical item was given, a boon from the king/queen for everyone involved for next event would have been appropriate – that way 1-3 magic item drops couldn’t have been squabbled over by the large amount of people there.). I don't think that every plot or creature needs to give out loot or rewards, but there should be some consideration based on how far you push both the characters and players to the extant of their abilites.

I agree that rather that the dragon ending up being pretty much a pet lizard on a free the beast with steroids potion, which the queen was able to fix, seemed a bit disappointing to the defeat of the creature.

Oh, and the lights.. I HATED them. They made it extremely difficult to see. They were too bright and made it more difficult to see than if you let our eyes just adapt to the night. If you want lights out there for safety reasons, please use softer, dimmer lights. If you wish to use these lights again, please throw some sort of drop cloth over them. Eyes cannot quickly adapt from looking into the dark in one direction only to turn and then have the bright light of those lanterns in their face.

Check out was slightly annoying without having someone there that could handle tags.
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

Last time I will interject, I promise, but I did want to say that some creatures being helped by arctic blast while others attack of the elements was predetermined. Note i am not arguing about the appropriateness of that, just wanted people to know we didn't change things on the fly when the first thing went awry. Great feedback everyone. Do continue.
GM-Amanda
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Amanda »

First off, I want to apologize to Kiel. I haven't stripped those arrows in a year, and though I built them with one inch of dense foam above the 1.25" Delrin head, then an additional inch of furniture foam in front of that (similar to the hammer I use at Waypoint), the use and abuse those arrows get mean I need to take better care of them and check them before I drop them off. I wasn't expecting to personally use them this event, but I like to make sure the NPC staff has archers if they like. But they were not constructed unsafe. *sorrysorrysorry*

This event fell solidly into the negative column for a lot of previously stated reasons, boiling down to miscommunication and overpowered, out of control NPCs.

Friday night I got started early with the cockroaches leading to the Power of Pim plot, and I let Cirrus take a step back because Amanda was trying to steer Cirrus' event a little - I always end up running around helping out every little thing that comes her way. I also enjoyed the opportunity to play up her phobias a little - I've tried my best to flesh her out as a sentient character, and just stabbing things repeatedly gets old for Amanda. Mentally, I filed it away, and went to talk to Snacky later and got involved with the map to find the cavern where the power was located. That was an AWESOME puzzle, and I'd like to see some of the same type of mechanic used at future games for changing locations and the map. (Also, I will be scanning it and using it for my own reference :P)

Next, everyone was going on the Red X. My reservations for Xs usually stem from lack of others' interest - Cirrus is totally down for high-risk, high reward, but Amanda knows Cirrus' limitations, and will refuse to go with a group that doesn't match her expectations for what happened on the first run. With 80% of the town going, I tagged along, despite my usual inclination to stick around the tavern for the roleplay and let everyone else enjoy the high rewards.

Having a puzzle themed X was great. It was right up my alley to scribble at a Sudoku on the flat of Four, constantly checking the periphery for baddies, sighing in relief when they passed me by, grinning in elation when I was able to get a number under fire, screaming incoherently or stabbing when they did end up attacking me, and I loved cooperating with Karuna and Tannalys to finish it off. Even getting Four shattered and having to mentally rescale my calls wasn't the issue at the time, because this was a Red X - high risk, high reward, right? Except since the loot was scaled to the puzzles that were taking hours to finish because of lack of Recall thanks to Scream, unable to be consistently finished because one mistake made them explode, and half of them were obscured from sight because of out of game circumstances that the GMs didn't allow to change the out of game mechanics of the encounter. Instead of taking the time to lead the PCs around the edge of the clearing because no one can find your landmarks, give them half of the puzzles outright. I think part of the reason we were getting demolished so hard during that battle was that a third of our force was scattered around trying to find something to make this grinder worth it.

Because I certainly didn't get the memo that the only things we'd find were those Xs, and the relevant treasure. Three magic items for 15 players who got shredded is pretty sad. I would hope that scouring the field for 15 minutes with Scout and Improved Spot would get me at least enough shiny things to replace Four, but I got a pity Steel tag. At least it wasn't the piece of Scrap Metal that was the remainder of my curved blade. Despite Cirrus' greed, I don't expect loot, but if that's the name of the game for a plot, deliver. Have the king who dropped the hook give a reward on the other side of the portal. The exit portal leads to a stronghold hidden in the Wildlands full of goodies. The key we found early on unlocks a mysterious box we find somewhere. The case of water was the best reward we got out of that plot - kudos Jim!

I also agree Scream was a little heavy handed with only three Master healers on field (Marcus, Karuna, Elan) - I was hobbling across the field towards Marcus, roleplaying my woundedness, and in the time it took me to wobble 30 feet, I dropped to 0 from 6HP. Thankfully, there weren't any times where I WAS at 0 that I got hit with Scream.

I was dead tired, but hey, there were some zombies with a crazy necromancer outside. Easy pickings, right? Nope, more miscommunication - these were constructs that moved superfast, took multiple 18s to down, and only died when their master did. Playing dead saved my ass, and we all feared the worst for Octavius since all the healers had gone to bed, only to discover that he was just incapped. That plot induced a major case of "boop it" and I set up my hammock, only to be forced back inside by mosquitoes and coyotes at dawn.

I got barely 90 minutes of sleep before everyone else woke up and decided to have a conversation at full volume within 20 feet of my bunk. I know I have a good Hide modifier, but seriously people. I was even reassured at one point that the conversation would move, only for me to request to join them on their way to the tavern an hour later. Not to mention the players who came to keep me from sleeping by trying to twist my arm to go on a plot. (I also realize this is slightly pot and kettle since Saturday night I was engaged in tradecraft in the Inn until waytoofuckinglate in the morning, and I will apologize for that.)

I inhaled some granola bars and tried to rehydrate, waiting for some roleplay to roll in. Gregory and the Sparrow was definitely my favorite plot of the weekend - nice little bits of combat, using more of the camp (I didn't even know that field was there!) and a cool Spirit World mechanic (hopefully I don't have to remember what I got drained to for next event...) Having both of the NPC Macguffins we were trying to find (for that plot and the Power of Pim) in the same place, with the same next progression step, was a little clunky, but I understand the collation of plots given that it was nearly Game Break at that point.

Running into Buddy on the path was a great bit of roleplay too. I wonder if I wasn't getting hit with the effects because I had Anticipation charged, or it was my absurd volume of hugs that saved my tail. It was problematic on our end to have our recall Guthrie also handling our heals, but that was poor planning. Yay tamales.

The event started to go downhill after Game Break. Encountering the friendly magical creatures for the first bout of Buddy's tea was great roleplay again, but going down the murder hill to face fresh NPCs was not. I enjoyed the battle, but the PCs were clearly getting overwhelmed yet no effort was made to scale the combat. We were forced to flee UP that hill, with the entire complement of fairly competent heroes completely eviscerated. I only saved myself from chips by blowing a hero point so I could keep using Flee (the skill). Thank boop I drank that Five Hour. Others took over from there, but I didn't get the chance to see the resolution to that because I had to argue for the completion of the plots that I tried to get out of getting involved in the first place. It only increased my displeasure later when I found out there was no real reward for that plot either (I didn't hear anything about a boon, nor a return next event). But yay interaction.

We managed to wrangle people together to go release the tethers, and were waiting for NPCs when we got attacked by random NPCs. I can understand attacking loitering PCs at NPC camp, but there is absolutely no reason why it should happen when we're being forced to wait for the other things to grind us down. I saw a few PCs specifically choose to ignore the attacks because of the sheer amount of bullshit. Worse, the GM on hand did nothing to rein the attackers in, even when specifically called on it.

The NPC bullshit increased when we used the dust I totally didn't snort to go to the Black Mountain. When we entered the scene, it was described there were two drakes attacking two friendlies we needed to protect for 10 minutes. Fine, huddle up and defend, Abaddon can tie them up for a bit and it should be easy (and it should have been, given that there was another bigger fight to follow). Instead, the NPCs continued to pop drakes, darting through gaps no creatures the size of a car should be able to negotiate, leaving the field for barely 5 seconds before repopping, and swinging all out. Nell and Marcus had to play dead in order to get enough time to finish the task, despite having plenty of PC bodies to shield them, and I was worried not that they'd be attacked and disrupted, but that they'd be stepped on by overzealous NPCs.

The run up to the throne room was a great fight, despite the lights. Please get some red cellophane or wax paper to dull those down. The enemies were varied and required different tactics, I liked the change up of the defensive mechanic, and that the NPCs here mostly kept to attacking the periphery, as should have been done in the previous battle. Though charging and heavy swings were STUPID PREVALENT. I nearly had the prosthetic swiped off my face twice, and my knuckles got hit so hard I had trouble using the hand the next day. I know some of my blows got deflected into faces as well, and no one seemed to be having a good safe battle.

Charging needs to be addressed. The idea that you aren't charging if someone is running backwards is BULLSHIT. I never go above a lope if I'm chasing someone who is running forwards, and no one can backpedal faster than you can run, promise. I fully expected some people to bash their heads into a shield or bowl someone over, especially with a dewy field. I could not physically get my blade between some of my assailants, let alone get it into a position that I could block, let alone swing. Of course I backpedaled, which spurred them on to faster movement. How do you expect to react in time if someone trips when you're going that fast? PLEASE remember we're trying to be safe here people? Pretty please?

Also bullshit was the idea that the magical calls suddenly became only one element. That stunk to high heaven of "Nope, you don't get to use that anymore because reasons." Thank you for clarifying that wasn't a field call Mike, but still super cheesy.

The actual drake was the worst offense of it. Though I enjoyed the idea of Cirrus being up there and frantically blocking shot after swipe (POST POST POST), the charging and machine gunning made that so super meatgrindery. I understand the bite attack is used at CARPS, but here it's a super special flavor of illegal. Stoppit. My entire experience of that part was run up, get whacked through 25 soak in about 10 seconds despite being almost completely on the defensive, run away and get healed again and repop my CR, lather, rinse, repeat. I don't even want to try counting how many times I saw Argus go down. (<3 Brand) And I totally almost stabbed the thing right through the skull when it was shrunk, pet or no. I took a quick glance around the periphery for something that would be utilized by entities who could overwhelm the king and queen, then teleported us back. Hey, that was the only reward we got out of THAT meatgrinder too? Hooofuckingray.

Final roleplay to finish off the Power of Pym and get Sparrow in Gregory's head. Nothing from those? Sure. Everyone's gone to bed, including the NPCs? Pack it up, check out, shower and finally sleep.

The next morning, half of the people were gone from my side of the cabin, leaving behind their stuff, dirty bathrooms, stuff caked in the sinks, sand on every part of the floor. Weird.</sarcasm>

I felt better after hashing out some of the major problems with Mike and Taki while we were cleaning up NPC camp, but I was severely frustrated and angry Sunday morning, and I want to apologize for how bitter I was behaving. It didn't help anyone's mood about how I was rehashing how terrible of a time I had.

Like Kiel said, roleplaying is Final Haven's strength, and it should be the core focus. What plots I experienced were generally great on that front, but resolutions, vicious NPCs, and miscommunication almost ruined this weekend.

Great to see Nelkie on the field! I had such a great time fighting you!
You are what you dare.

RESEACRH
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

understandable frustration aside, this is just an FYI. The charging rule is intended to prevent player on player contact in combat. If your retreating, and your opponent isn't moving faster than you/out running you ...there can be no contact.

Per the rulebook:

Charging At any given time during combat there must be at least 2 feet of distance between you and your opponent’s bodies AND at least one of your weapons/shield must be between your body and theirs. Any violation of this rule is considered charging. If someone is coming at you and you continuously back away, they are not considered to be charging. It will become charging if at any point you stop backing away and the other person continues to move towards you and breaks the two feet rule. Any instances of charging should be reported to a safety marshal. A player who is reported as charging excessively may be asked to become a non-combatant or be suspended from play.
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
GM-Amanda
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Amanda »

That's fine Brian, but the two foot part was being repeatedly shattered. NPCs were constantly at a full on run, moving much faster than me.
You are what you dare.

RESEACRH
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

I think the desire to step backwards should be optional for the player and not necessary to the OOG safety of the player.
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Cirrus

That's fine Brian, but the two foot part was being repeatedly shattered. NPCs were constantly at a full on run, moving much faster than me

No contention there. Just pointing out the current 'letter of the law" so to speak, as well as the intent the rule governs in most every LARP I've seen it in. More to come on charging once I am done putting my feedback together.

Zydana

I think the desire to step backwards should be optional for the player and not necessary to the OOG safety of the player.

At its core the rule is meant to enforce the responsibility of the ADVANCING player/NPC to ensure they can stop IF the retreating player/NPC stops. That is hard to gauge if the retreating party doesn't stop, but it has ALWAYS been, in every system I have encountered, the responsibility of the attacker.
If you feel, as the defender, that the attacker CANT do that, there is always the "APPLE" call. While not EXACTLY what it was intended for, I doubt the staff would gripe. Not a criticism, just an outside-the-box suggestion to store in the case of future issues.
Sir Kaylan Chargeender