September 2011 Feedback

What did you think of the last event? Post your opinions and disucss the comments of others here!

Moderator: Admin

Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

September 2011 Feedback

Post by Kalphoenix »

Didn't see one. Thought I would start it.

Feedback? The good, the bad, the ugly. Comments, concerns, love, hate, etc.
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

Thanks for a fun event!

I guess I will start with the bad.

When I finally took off, there were very few PCs left at the "keep" and a few picking up. There was a LOT of garbage around the grounds and in the building. These were things like cans, bottle and candy wrappers. Paula picked most of them up herself. I also saw quite a few cigarette butts, which may or may not have been from our group, but I have to assume it is. I also saw scorch/cig debris ON THE CONCRETE around various buildings. To be fair, with as many people as we were sharing the camp with, this should have been a zero-butt weekend (Except for in personal vehicles as per the camp rules), but I'm a little peeved at the garbage/cig neglect. Not a smoker, not my job to police this or clean up after this. Not the PCs/NPCs who stay late job to pick up your garbage. Gross.

I started to die Saturday night for multiple reasons so I missed the resolution of a lot of big plots being unconscious and all. A note to myself and to my fellow LARPers most of whom I am sure forget this too: STAY HYDRATED. Even when the weather is damp, you still need proper fluids. I am personally horrible at eating and drinking properly at the LARP and it WILL catch up with you.

The only other bad, and honestly I don't know how bad it is at this point, is the squabbling over what personal "private" space certain groups feel they deserve. Long-term (NOT A GM. NOT STAFF. NOT AN OFFICIAL OPINION.) I think we might all be looking at having to share closer quarters for the sake of being able to afford to rent the site at all. I realize this is something of an OOC issue, but I really hope as players we find a way to come to terms with it, because in my humble opinion an OOC "we're going to kill anyone who tries to sleep in 'our' room" isn't going to fly. I personally feel that it is going to come down to "there are X amount of beds and sleeping spaces and someone is going to be in that room/space." Everyone is paying the same amount of money, last I checked. "Killing" the people you don't want to be in there to take care of the problem is a great way to welcome/retain players. It's also petty and bratty.

My apologies for anyone I garlic-bombed Sat night/Sun morning with my body/breath. It was REALLY bad and for the people who still gave me hugs and close contact Sunday morning, I appreciate your tenacity. I'm hoping some epson-salts will help leech it out.

Unto the good!

Thanks to the great NPCs/Staffies who always make it a pleasure and a privilege to get beat up all weekend.

I had a great time with NPC Mir'An. I won't name specifics or specific players because I don't want metagame issues, you know who you are. :) Special thanks to the NPCs who helped me with that, even though you only got to go in a couple times. I heard you did AWESOME!

Favorite resolved plot to NPC on was definitely "J.R.R. the Toll King and the King of the Ring" plot. It was punny and fun even with it's serious side there near the end...Afrodo, Gim Knee, Leggy Lass, Ring Ralph, Boro-Bear, Fara-Bear, Staffelf, Shield-Maiden, the Ghost Leader, *whispers* Sore-arm, the all-hearing ear and the three others I'm pretty sure I've forgotten the names. Thanks to Scott for getting it right off the bat and REALLY getting into the "joke" aspect of it. Thanks to all the folks who participated and I really hope it was worth it! Also thanks for the candy!

Thanks for the fun with monster plots. I'm sorry for the slight OOC'ness with the zombies Saturday evening (when I was in the mask). It had to be said, and I hope it didn't spoil the mood for anyone.

I always have an AMAZING time seeing everyone and enjoying their company. Lots of great costumes and makeup, despite the uncooperative weather. I was really impressed. We were really lucky that it never got actually rained out.

I probably have more good stuff, but these are the ones that pop out at the moment so I'll let someone else go now, lol.
Abaddon
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Abaddon »

This event for lack of a better word was amazing. I had a lot of fun right out of the gate and that was because of both GMs and PC interaction. This was my first event as Abaddon after the little fight and it went pretty well.
I expected the hearings, particularly the one for leadership. PCs made surprisingly good decisions about things without resorting to screaming or violence. It felt like something in the universe changed for the better.
GMs did an amazing job on every single plot I saw. The Lord of the Ring plot was hilarious. Seeing Karen and Brad was great as I had been expecting that they would be there. Ohh and ADAM in any capacity was great.

Jared’s Valkyn’vi plots, and the current story he is working on is the most engaging plot I have ever been on. Its written out of Abaddon’s background, which is a first at FH for me. I love all of it.
Abaddon working with Gabrial was the most surprising turn of the event that I did not expect.(They took pictures.) Hope that continues.
The Dark elf battle was TREMENDOUS. I loved sticking my middle finger up at them when they tried to get a spell off.

Negative:
Waiting time for GMs was LONG. And there seemed to be PCs camping in the NPC camp every time I was there. That made me a little uncomfortable and it seemed lit dragged out the waiting times.
I do not like the idea of a PVPed character, running their own ghost plot.
I think the effect of the wish should have been resist magic…able.
"I would only teach them Necromancy as part of a balanced breakfast."
NOBLE
New in Town
New in Town

feedback

Post by NOBLE »

I want to say I had a great time this weekend and a ton of fun. The staff did a great job...and I didnt really have to deal with over powered npc's. they were just the right amount of challenge. Seriously thankyou for all the fun there. Also while i'm on staff stuff...brilliant idea on the life point tally sheet. it's a great tool to have for people with all the new ways you get life points.

I did want to give a couple of shout outs. One is to Ben. Your new character is great and the dynamic in how you play him is just fun to watch. Thought you did a great job committing to the characgter, it helpled bring people into the scene.

The other is Kiel. Never before has anyone played such a stubborn ass good guy. You officially made it not worth it to do bad shit. Dealing with your persistance was a pain. Great job man, I had alot of fun with you on this event. Great rping.

and to everyone. thankyou thankyou thankyou for not killing me on site. It was fun rping with all of you.
"We're not the heroes they need....we're the heroes they deserve;"....LEGION.
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

I must say that, other than than NPC Camp wait times, I have absolutely no issues with how the game was run or how NPCS behaved!!! The GMs and NPCs together presented an extremely immersive and enjoyable LARP experience. There were a couple of times when an NPC would seem entirely invulnerable to damage, but a GM stepped in quickly to correct the situation with only a slight resulting pause. Otherwise NPC encounters – violent or otherwise – went very smoothly.

My only real gripes are in-game gripes – which are perfectly cool from a player standpoint. The Fishing Village was destroyed before many of us even knew it was in danger, but I have to assume *someone* knew, and either didn’t act nor share the information quickly enough to avoid the catastrophe. That’s fine, game-wise. If it happened because scheduled panicky NPC villagers never went into game to give the heads-up, or the requisite Vision wasn’t handed out – that *would* be a game problem.

Trials/Hearings suck. Doug hates sitting through them. But Dallid believes them integral to maintaining unity, and was very pleased with how the town came together to resolve issues/differences.

Now to the Healer playtest. The new rules are AWESOME… which, in itself, may be a problem. :P Before, Dallid had to weigh the benefits of using an ability with a life-point cost against the delay of a required four minute wait to get the point(s) back. Do I use the ability or try to get by without it? Do I wait and heal myself or just continue on a few points less than max? Now, being able to heal one point every thirty seconds and, with Stead Hands, able to heal on the move – there’s no hesitation. Dallid lets the abilities fly left and right and recovers quickly while on the move, making him significantly more effective.

This removes the healing wait times that drag down the game – along with the frustration that goes with them. But the added character effectiveness must be weighed into game balance.

The mass battle at the end demonstrated the “Healer Drive-by”. Now that Healers are able to charge and hold their Heals, a wounded warrior can simply walk passed the Healer area and be healed up as many points as there are Healers waiting with a charged Heal. May want to treat Healing like Backstab, where a particular target must be selected before charging may begin.

With Stead Hands, I was able to follow a warrior around the battlefield, healing him for one point every 30 seconds while he continued to fight. This felt weird, but didn’t seem effective enough to worry about. It tied me up and, while in sustained combat, one point regained every 30 seconds doesn’t make much of a difference.
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
Leo
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Leo »

The bad...

I also noticed a decent amount of PC camping at NPC camp. Either waiting for plots or overwhelming the Npcs with questions and tag requests.

Note there should be an Available and NOT available sign on the door, I had several Pc's come into Npc camp when I was gathering Tags and asking questions about something only a few people went on. I know we're all Angels and don't medagame but, OOG knowledge still slightly effects peoples decisions because of what they know. Even at a RP standpoint.

Also plots like the golden chicken plot, and lord of the ring plot Might be a bit too OOG punny, for me to not get distracted from Character. I came to try and stay Leo and sometimes thats hard enough. Although the Golden Chicken thing was great.

On to the Good...

Incredible job GMs and NPCs, always a pleasure to trade beatings with you. I apologize for any hard pokes i mighta had, but it was for the sake of the good kill.

I happy to see Equiped NPCs not just claws benidict on the menu. I'm also very happy with the exclusivity some of the NPCs take to make the event different for other PCs.

PCs did an excellent job at restraining ourselfs from bursting out into combat at every disagreement. Great RP to everyone I saw. Especially you Korrigan. I can't even hold it together sometimes around you, your RP and placement of words literally gets me everytime. Also everyone dwelling at the Inn was very Engauging. Not to say it wasn't that way at the Keep but I was in the Inn or out on plot 90% of the time.

Dwarves, always a pleasure to watch you all interact.

Sorry for everyone else. I'm missing but theres more to say and Not enough time befor i have to end this post and get back to work.

Gabriel and Kelz, your adventures are great and to be sung for many years. I had an Excellent time traveling with the both of you. Great Rp.

Also I'd like to throw a presonal thank you to Jonny and Blue for all their help taking down our tent it made things happen much faster. We were still last out, but at least we made the pack-up deadline the ranger gave us. Wouldn't have been possible w/o you.
Leo Edanis of Geldaland

¤º°¨ ¸„ø¤º°¨„ø¤º°¨°º¤ø„¸¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ º¤ø„¸
¨°º¤ø„ ¸Free to do what I want Forever!! º¤ø„¸
¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º „¸¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ ¸„ø¤º „¸¨°º¤
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

Oh, one quick thing from me, and I know I didn't mention it at the game so it's my own fault and I'm not blaming anyone at all (also the weather didn't help make the weapons any softer), but as a personal favor, could you guys check your swings a little bit when I am playing an NPC who is getting mass wackage done to it? I thought I was just being a wuss (And I probably still am, or health-related issues could be to blame), but it wasn't until this evening I saw the backs of my arms in the mirror and they are kind of bruised up. It makes me wonder what they looked like on Saturday when they were really bugging me.

I promise, I feel the lighter prods much better than the heavy ones anyway. When I take a heavy foam-weapon pounding, I definitely notice my ability to differentiate between the different swings/calls getting poorer as I start getting numb/tender.
Kels
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kels »

Well i think it is time for me to post since its been forever....... :D
So to start my first event back could not have gone any better I had a great time. I had forgoten how much i enjoy playing. Thanx to everyone who made this event rock. I role play for the moments when you lose yourself and become your character and i had 3 or 4 this event.

Loved the J R R Toll King plot but thats me i like the sillyness.

NPC's you guys did a great job thanx for takin a beating... :lol:

oh and it was fun screaming a Paron. sorry troy :)

Can't wait for the next one.
"Fear is only in your mind."

Captain of the Black Talon Unit
"Leadership is found, not chosen."
Phoenix Guard

Dick VERMEIL is a smooth mother

"If it moves Shoot it!"
Rothek
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Rothek »

okay feedback now.

at first i thought the event was started a little slow but thats probably because i got there late so meh so despite the 2 1/2 hour wait at npc camp i was glad for the slow start into things because i was not at all bored on saturday.

some highlights.

anything that had to do with the dwarves!! you guys are awesome.

the lord of the rings plot and scaring the children away from the inn. though i didnt see the plot to its end i had a great time with what i was part of.

its always good to see new faces at larp but it was so good to see the older characters or those that haven't been around in a while ( i.e kels, noble, keridwen,malachi) perhaps there maybe a future plot to get the "band" back together? :cough coughulfgarcough cough:

on a personal side note.

i am wonderfully suprized to hear about how much people enjoy this new character. at first i was hesistant to bring in a beastman but i am ecstatic to hear about how so many people, npc and pc alike, are having fun interacting with and roleplaying with rothek.

thank you all very much.

it was a great event and i cant wait to see everybody in october.
Rothek HowlingFang
Den-father of the Howling Fang tribe.
friend and ally of the dwarves of Killeshandra.
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

... just one man's feedback

Post by Torakhan »

I never really left the Inn, so my exposure to plots/RP and the likes, so I can't really talk much about how they were.

Having Quen stand in as the presence for the Tipsy Traveler staff put him in a hard position, and I have to apologize OOCly that I wasn't able to handle trade for those who wanted to buy/sell/exchange goods and services. When Korrigan/Barry are there.
I hope folks got what they needed in the end tough. :) Quen isn't made to be a front-desk sort of guy, so I hope you all get what you want next time.

I'll be posting in the Tipsy Traveler thread to get feedback on the prices and offerings, so if you have feedback/comments, post them there.

As for other folks wandering in... there were a few mentions of Malcom and "Hey, it's Quen"... and I ignored folks. I'm sorry about that OOCly, but I did notice folks and sorry that I didn't ICly acknowledge ya. But I wanted to let you know that I did and I thank you. :)

It was nice not having constant attacks on the Inn, so I hope that translated into better RP scenes for other folks who were out and about.

So, yeah... while my feedback isn't very helpful, I do want to give my thanks to folks for not making it full of bad-drama and making it a decent weekend for me. :D
Arthur Dreese - West Michigan
I just want to see tomorrow, day by day to just survive. / But this place is built to kill me. No one here gets out alive. ~Alice Cooper "Cold Machines"
"Beware the designer who does not design to play his own game." ~Justin Achilli, Vampire: the Masquerade Developer
Shea Stonebrook
Town Member
Town Member
Location: On the way back to Woodhold from traveling with Connor (my husband)

Post by Shea Stonebrook »

I came into this event expecting something totally different than what happened...and it was a pleasant surprise :)
I had a blast, even with a skull splitting headache most of Sat.
Loved the Rat Plot... Friday's investigation and then Sat walking out of NPC camp to about 7 rats squeaking at me was hilarious...trying to figuring out that some of the town's members had turned into Rats! and then figuring out how to get them back. Cristo the RAT king LOL Brad your narrations painted a vivid picture of where we were and what was happening. Awesome!
Sat I didn't do a whole lot... I listened to the hearings and put in 2 cents. The speaking sword was refreshing, keeping order so everyone could hear and be heard. Fiona, Dallid Francisco & Orien, you guys did a great job! Impressive, these were shorter than any “meetings” I’ve seen at Haven so far!
Sat. night I was simply going to watch the Keep and enjoy the fire Kels & Gabriel built while everyone went to kill Drow.... Noshii came running in saying they needed a healer...that felt cool.(since anyone can take re-gen not many really need healers unless they're WAY in the negatives or dead.)
The new healer rules are pretty cool...to be able to move & charge is Awesome! Easy to stay out of battle. Fighters come to us before they get into negatives for a little jump. Even though it’s one Lp at a time, I still felt useful especially in a group of healers doing mass heal! THAT was speedy!! 30 seconds per life & being able to move, makes surgery & mending the body more delicate procedures than "healing" as it should be. I do feel though, that there should be a better “call” than “one.” We call “one” when you DEAL damage. Maybe “heal one” or just “heal”?
Shea Stonebrook

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Speak the truth, always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong. That is your oath.
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

For me, this event was very .. meh. There seemed no progression to any sort of climatic event for Saturday night over the course of the event. The Saturday night fight just felt like, - oh, we just kinda throw something in. Even after the battle, I heard PC's saying, "That's it?" And honestly, I felt the same way after the battle was over.

Now I understand I could of missed a bunch of the plots that would escalate to Saturday night as I ended up on a good deal of player driven things.

Also, I think the Saturday night battle felt lacking as there was never a sense of feeling someone might die, we might lose or any real fear. I don't know if this was because of the play tested healing skills or not or if players were well prepared or greatly outnumbered the enemies.
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

Also, I think the Saturday night battle felt lacking as there was never a sense of feeling someone might die, we might lose or any real fear. I don't know if this was because of the play tested healing skills or not or if players were well prepared or greatly outnumbered the enemies

I agree the fight seemed a bit easy compared to other large fights, but thats because of the actions of Abbadon. Had he not done what he did ...THREE times....we would have been scattered and haggered after the second spell hit the healers since that was where the first two were headed. He saved the PCs butts.
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

Wyrmwrath wrote: but thats because of the actions of Abbadon. Had he not done what he did ...THREE times....we would have been scattered and haggered after the second spell hit the healers since that was where the first two were headed. He saved the PCs butts.
I would have to disagree as Travis has been playing Abaddon for about three years now. As helpful as couterspell is, this is not the first time he's used it for a Saturday night battle. Many other Saturday night battles within the last three years have given us that sense of fear that seemed to be lacking this time around.

Whatever the reasons you feel, the Saturday night fight was still lacking.

I'm sure Travis appreciates being given that credit though. :lol:
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

Well, this next event we won't stop until we kill at least 7 characters...

Thanks for the feedback so far. It all helps, especially the negative comments. Please don't pull your punches. We usually have a sense of what went well and what didn't but without comments, we might think that some things weren't so bad or others weren't so good. I hope to hear from more people as to what went well and what didn't. We are continually trying to improve the gaming experience that we provide.

I know some of the timing was off this event and the waits were embarrassing and the dwarves should be pretty ticked. If you want to emphasize these or other things, feel free to do so.

The build up to the Satruday fight was interesting. It was there...Really. What happened was a scheduling issue it seems and some side fun plots were even larger draws than we thought they'd be, leaving very few people around to see the different pieces that were leading to that battle...and it was never the same two or three people for each piece of the build so I'm not surprised it seemed random. I don't think this scenario had occurred for us before with so few people getting the build, but now that the problem arose, this is something easily fixed in the future.