The Tipsy Traveler - Feedback Requested

What did you think of the last event? Post your opinions and disucss the comments of others here!

Moderator: Admin

Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

The Tipsy Traveler - Feedback Requested

Post by Torakhan »

The idea of The Tipsy Traveler goes beyond an IC location for folks to roleplay their local Tavern/Inn. We want to provide a service to the players and the characters on a level we haven't really done or seen before in our game.

Beyond the food we provide, setting we've tried to establish, and helpful staff at your assistance, The Tipsy Traveler is an experiment in progress that is meant to push the use of Currency, in game, past the "I have a gold, the GMs say it is worth X, so that's all I can use it for" and to give it value that WE give it as well--an economy of trade and services for currency.

However, since we're sort of helping to establish the costs of services and items outside of the mechanics, we need your input and help to make The Tipsy Traveler work even better for the game, both IC and OOC.

• What do you think about the services we provide? Is there anything you'd like to see, or think we offer that shouldn't be emphasized as much?

• Are there some foods that you thought worked well, want to see offered, or thought didn't work well? While some of our offerings are based on what's on sale the night before, input on what you are willing to purchase (IC/OOC) is appreciated.

• What do you think of our IC prices? Are some too high, or too low? Give some examples of either if you'd like.

• What did you think of our OOC prices?
- Were they acceptable?
- Did you like the choice between the two?
- Did you like the a la carte method, or do you prefer a set meal plan that is only offered at certain times of the day?

• Locked Doors. This was a concern someone brought up, so maybe others would like to address too. We locked the doors because the staff are relatively defenseless when the town is away on some adventure and we need to keep bad folks out (at least regular non-Master Rogue types.) Also, there's not really good way of putting a lock on a door and only having it locked when one wants it to, but there may be other methods available of keeping the Staff safe, so feel free to offer other suggestions. :)

Again, the reason many of us are there is as a service to the players. We want to bring a service to the game and to the players, so let us know how we can serve you better. Honestly... that's the reason I'm there at least--I'm there to help my friends have a better weekend. :)
Arthur Dreese - West Michigan
I just want to see tomorrow, day by day to just survive. / But this place is built to kill me. No one here gets out alive. ~Alice Cooper "Cold Machines"
"Beware the designer who does not design to play his own game." ~Justin Achilli, Vampire: the Masquerade Developer
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

Awesome idea. Worked well I thought.

Thumbs up:
>>> food was fresh/hot/to order and tasty.
>>> liked that there is a place for players that want to play non combat oriented PCs (spies/healers/gamblers/pilitical and economic leaders/diplomats, etc..) can go to RP and have fun while the nuts... Imean rest of town are out commiting blood and hayem in the name of whatever cause thier PC holds dear.
>>> made it feel more townish in game
>>> Liked the for sale/ for hire board, to bad there werent any bounties posted on it...

Thumbs down:
>>> fighting in the kitchen. I find it odd that some were a bit terse at my questioning fighting form a tree but were ok in the small, comfined, cluttered, kitchen where pans of hot grease and such were present. Id fight from a tree anyday over a kitchen. Too risky!
>>> the structure was too close to where the mod building was and that detracted from the towning feeling.
>>> I think the in game coin costs were about double what they should have been (not that I dont get why they were set that way considering the out of game investment). I think it would work better with lower in game costs and a 5 dollar donation from all players to ofset the REAL costs.
>>> I didnt see one LARP Hooters girl, and Phil does NOT count...

Suggestions:
>>> less sugar heavy stuff and more food to help the players/staff recoop from the heat and combat. Sugary stuff really just makes it harder on ones body in spite of the sugar rush. Id reccomend beef/chicken stew or chilli; cheeze/fruit/bread snacks; sport drinks (Gatorade comes in a Kool Aid like powdered format), iced tea, watered down-no sugar added fruit juices (cranberry/apple/lemonade/white grape). I just think it will be better for fighting off fatigue and help those of us where sugar is the enemy now.... or watrching our dwarvish figure. I am more than willing to help with a Sams Club membership for bulk purchasing or my connections for whole sale meats and fish and salads and pre made burger patties and such.
>>> Hire player musicians for atmosphere or hide a boom box with celtic CDs and we will pretend
>>> Use only one entrence so the PCs running the tavern have an easier time defending it, and can hire a "bouncer" or two and rotate em to watch the door for baddies.

more likely to come as the little elves put new stuff in the idea box in my head...
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Torakhan »

Fighting in the kitchen and location of the building are not something we could control (well, we could have taken a small cabin, but we would not have been able to serve well from the tiny kitchenette.) For those unfamiliar with Rota Kiwan, the Tipsy Traveler/Inn is a standard building at the events, as is the Castle, where folks sleep at, hang out, and eat at as well. The camp's lay-out is much different, and it'll be interesting to see how the lessons taken from Port Huron will be turned into actions taken at Rota Kiwan.

IG game costs are not really connected to OOG costs (though there was a little bit of an attempt to at least try some standardization for simplicity's sake.) Not that it necessarily would have always worked, but very few folks attempted to bargain, barter, or otherwise speak IC or OOC that the IC prices were too high, but then again we were also lowering prices on things as we felt the event out too--they were a bit fluid. We are going to try to come up with a more standardized pricing IC and OOC, but IC prices may be reflected by the value of coins and other items too.

Part of the reason we served what we did, this event, was because we wanted to purchase foods that were packaged, easy to transport, store, and had multiple uses. Also, much of what we bought was on sale. That being said, we threw away (literally) quite a bit of food even then. Bringing pots of frozen stew, fruits and veggies that will rot and don't transport well, and other things of that nature is an issue for us (especially since we just have a standard refrigerator at Rota Kiwan.) However, there are changes we can make, but our own costs, ability to transport, and likelihood of players actually partaking in such things will help determine what we will bring, even if it isn't the healthiest of foods. (Hey, we ARE gamers after all. ;) )

As for "Donations" for OOC costs, perhaps we'll put a tip jar, or other sort of sign out to encourage donations, but we're doing this for the love of our friends too. I don't know if a "flat fee" sort of donation would be helpful, since either everyone pays whether they partake or not, or we would have to keep a list of who has paid and who hasn't. Maybe there's an easy way of doing this (hand-stamping?), but we would prefer that everyone has access to food regardless.

This is good information to be getting back though, so keep the feedback coming. :)
I just want to see tomorrow, day by day to just survive. / But this place is built to kill me. No one here gets out alive. ~Alice Cooper "Cold Machines"
"Beware the designer who does not design to play his own game." ~Justin Achilli, Vampire: the Masquerade Developer
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

In all honesty, I've been a fan of bringing my own food to events and very rarely participate in meal plans save the annual feast.

Torakhan wrote:
Part of the reason we served what we did, this event, was because we wanted to purchase foods that were packaged, easy to transport, store, and had multiple uses. Also, much of what we bought was on sale. That being said, we threw away (literally) quite a bit of food even then. Bringing pots of frozen stew, fruits and veggies that will rot and don't transport well, and other things of that nature is an issue for us (especially since we just have a standard refrigerator at Rota Kiwan.) However, there are changes we can make, but our own costs, ability to transport, and likelihood of players actually partaking in such things will help determine what we will bring, even if it isn't the healthiest of foods. (Hey, we ARE gamers after all. ;) )
I'm not sure this will help, but Port Huron has both a Meijer and a WalMart. It's about 20 minutes from the camp VS having to transport it 3.5 hours or so. On the way to Rota Kiwan, I almost always stop at the Meijer that's about 2 exits before the Rota Kiwan camp (Centre/Q) exit. Stuff is still cold by the time I get to the camp and I don't need to pack cooler with ice and such.

Brian mentioned it and I think Stew would be a great hit. It could be made fresh there. Leave small batches simmering (a crock pot is probably your best bet) and refrigerate the rest to warm up in small batches as you need to replenish.

I suggest taking note of what sold and what didn't sell. And how much of it sold - how much of what did you have to toss? Why did people buy one thing and not the other (did people feel it was it too hot to be eating a particular item?)

Talk to Melissa, Danni and Travis and anyone else who's tried to provide food previously. How did they overcome some obstacles and what were they? Bounce ideas off people - "We'd like to be able to to serve X, but we can't see how we can with costs/set-up/etc."
As for "Donations" for OOC costs, perhaps we'll put a tip jar, or other sort of sign out to encourage donations, but we're doing this for the love of our friends too. I don't know if a "flat fee" sort of donation would be helpful, since either everyone pays whether they partake or not, or we would have to keep a list of who has paid and who hasn't. Maybe there's an easy way of doing this (hand-stamping?), but we would prefer that everyone has access to food regardless.
If you want to do a flat fee for the weekend and feel the honesty system won't work for you, you could always get a colored ribbon for the weekend and tie it around someone's wrist kinda like a wristband method (but less modern looking and probably cheaper for you).

In the past when not purchasing the weekend meal plan, Melissa and Danni have allowed me to buy an individual meal. If you wanted, you could do something like that or keep it a la carte on the side.

As for locked doors - Keep the doors propped open during the times when there's a lot of traffic (if there are a lot of people there, chances are any baddy will be put down quickly). If you hear the majority of townspeople will be gone fighting a battle, shut and lock the doors to keep you safe. It's what we did with the house of chance where we were after the same atmosphere, Role playing Heavy - Combat light. It worked fairly well.

Some suggestions as to what I might want to see there -

Lambic's brew (the little keg of rootbeer - I miss it)

More in-period feeling stuff. Food and props. I think it would just go a bit further to bring in the role playing atmosphere you're trying to achieve.

also, to help promote less garbage/waste/plastic stuff everywhere, perhaps knocking off a few copper if people bring their own tankards to refill.
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

I have a metric ton of kitchen stuff I used as sen. Wooden bowls and glasses and cast iron.

All sitting idle.
Travis Cole
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

Then its in the best interest of the Travelers owners to raise Sen as a mindless zombie so he can drag his trade tools to events and be made to work as slave labor....yeah...
Last edited by Wyrmwrath on Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Morgan
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Morgan »

Wait, isn't Sen alive?

I thought we rescued him from the cave of the dead.
Morgan Cyprian
Dwarf-Brother
Valken-kin
Gloom Bane
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

indeed. :o)
Travis Cole
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

damn i am never able to keep a plan secret....

Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

Enough with the hijacking... back to the topic, please.

Post by Torakhan »

... back to useful feedback on the Tipsy Traveler, how we did and how we can be better please. Thank you.
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Torakhan »

Additional Question
Would you be willing to pay more (OOC cost) if a percentage was donated to Final Haven?
Would you be willing to pay 25% more? 50% more? Double price?
Would it encourage you to buy food that you may not have otherwise purchased?
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

Negative on all. I have no idea what my tab was at the end, but I'm pretty sure I left a decent donation. However, different folks are able to leave different amounts of donation (tip). I think it'd be a bad idea to force donation.

And raising prices certainly would not encourage buying more food.
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

Fundraising for FH

Post by Torakhan »

Thank you for the donation. I was not aware we weren't refunding the remainder.
Dallid wrote:And raising prices certainly would not encourage buying more food.
People are willing to buy $2 canybars, $5 boxes of cookies, and $10 buckets of popcorn when they know that some of the money (usually less than half) will go to the fundraising organization) when they can get the same items for less elsewhere, so obviously the method works for some folks. And that is why we would raise the prices above what we thought was appropriate--As a fundraiser. But maybe we will also put out two tip jars? ;-)
Garritt
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Garritt »

For locked doors and only locking them sometimes- just hang a "Locked/unlocked" sign on the door in question that you can flip like an Open/closed sign on a store.

Also, most players don't know that the rulebook has always said that you (i.e. any player) can bar a door from the inside as an instant action, as long as someone is on the inside of the room. Then to open it you either have to have it unbarred from the inside, or completely knocked down with a headed weapon.

Either way, I don't understand the problem with it being a bother: just knock to have someone open the locked door from the inside. It adds just a little bit more character interaction and immersion.
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

It adds just a little bit more character interaction and immersion.
Maybe when its the Queens living area, or the dwarven barracs; but at a tavern, in real life anyway, its never locked unless closed. You cant even really say "well the real world doesnt have things wandering in to kill the staff" since that does happen and in the more dark ages settings there were raiders and brigands in even more numbers. The best bet is a lock for when "closed" for the evening and "security" personell when open for business.
Last edited by Wyrmwrath on Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.