September event clean-up

What did you think of the last event? Post your opinions and disucss the comments of others here!

Moderator: Admin

GM-Mike
GM

September event clean-up

Post by GM-Mike »

Here is a post that sadly needs to happen. I'm going to do my best to soften my tone here in case anyone new (say from Canada for instance) might be reading this, who doesn't know me and might mistake me for a jerk :lol:

What we had to deal with Sunday was ridiculous. We run this game at cost (i.e. we do not make any money on this game whatsoever). We do this because we really enjoy larping and honestly love interacting with all of the wonderful people who play our game. All we ask in return is common courtesy, that you clean up your stuff and try and remember that I can't leave until it's all clean and that I have a wife and two children who I look forward to seeing at the end of a fun weekend. There was one incident after game off that was so far removed from expected behavior that I could not even see common courtesy from where I stood. While I am not going to call anyone out publcily, I at least hope the person knows who he/she is...

If you need maid service at Final Haven, the event prices are going to significantly go up. I spent a significant amount of time cleaning before I retreated back to NPC camp and several players who did a bang up job already cleaning one building (the keep looked great incidentally and that should have taken a lot more effort to clean) helped me clean the other building, where nothing had been done. There was food in the firdge and creamer which had spilled in there. There was, as Troy mentioned in his feedback post, a cigarette butt on the carpet in the loft. The bathrooms were a mess. There was garbage all over the place. I could go on but it all comes down to one thing and one thing only. Grow the hell up. Clean up after yourselves. Pitch in. I have more crap going on in my life than probably 99% of all of you but you will never hear me complain about having to pick up my junk after an event. My complaining comes in when I have to pick up all of yours. It was ridiculously disappointing.

To end on a more positive note. Thanks to all of those who did help me get that building in order even though you had done far more than your share already. You know who you are and I love you all. I had a good event even though I struggled with wait times that were somewhat self-inflicted. Learned a lot with that one and you can expect wait times to return to a normal level in the future. It was great to see everyone and am looking forward to next event and to never having to write this type of post again.

Mike
Daffyd
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Daffyd »

So I have a solution:

Put a sign-in sheet in each building and everyone that sleep in said building must sign-in. At the end of the event compare those sheets with the actual sign-in sheet to make sure everyone did as they were supposed to.

Then if a building isn't clean at the end of the event, everyone that slept in that building does not get their levels.

I bet you'll only have people not clean up once.
Even though it is infinite, there is never enough time to deal with those that are truly stupid.
Crist0
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Crist0 »

Daffyd wrote:So I have a solution:

Put a sign-in sheet in each building and everyone that sleep in said building must sign-in. At the end of the event compare those sheets with the actual sign-in sheet to make sure everyone did as they were supposed to.

Then if a building isn't clean at the end of the event, everyone that slept in that building does not get their levels.

Me likey.
"Taunt!" (that means bring it...)
Paen
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Paen »

Crist0 wrote:
Daffyd wrote:So I have a solution:

Me likey.
I also like this idea.
Everybody with your fists raised high,
Let me hear your battle cry!
Shea Stonebrook
Town Member
Town Member
Location: On the way back to Woodhold from traveling with Connor (my husband)

Post by Shea Stonebrook »

how about better yet their next event they pay an extra $3 "cleaning fee"??

After all thier characters shouldn't suffer for the carelessness of the player.
Shea Stonebrook

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Speak the truth, always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong. That is your oath.
Daffyd
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Daffyd »

Shea Stonebrook wrote:how about better yet their next event they pay an extra $3 "cleaning fee"??

After all thier characters shouldn't suffer for the carelessness of the player.
Their lack of respect is exactly why you target their character. It makes it more important for them to keep their area clean.
Even though it is infinite, there is never enough time to deal with those that are truly stupid.
Arìen
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Arìen »

I think it is a good idea.
Maybe it should be an additional charge at first for those who do not clean up their own mess.
Then if it still does not get clean. Target the players, add a fee and a loss of levels (well, no gain of levels I mean).
The only problem with a punishment for a messy building is how do you punish the guilty ones and leave the ones who cleaned their mess before they left out of the punishment?
Aurora
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Aurora »

Well you could just go all evil and give those people like a disease that won't be able to be cured until they actually pull their weight and pick up their own messes.

Just a thought.
Aurora Darksbane

Mage Hunter of the Old Code
Caldonian Genderman
Daffyd
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Daffyd »

Arìen wrote:I think it is a good idea.
Maybe it should be an additional charge at first for those who do not clean up their own mess.
Then if it still does not get clean. Target the players, add a fee and a loss of levels (well, no gain of levels I mean).
The only problem with a punishment for a messy building is how do you punish the guilty ones and leave the ones who cleaned their mess before they left out of the punishment?
You can't but that is why you allow peer pressure to be the other enforcement factor. Everyone who slept in the Inn was responsible in some way. Even if they did clean up after themselves they know who didn't and didn't say anything about the growing mess over the weekend.

On Saturday during Game Break I was upset with how dirty the tables outside of NPC camp had been left. Dozens of empty plastic bottles, granola bar wrappers, plus variety of things just left there. Granted some of that mess was the NPC's fault, but there was no way 6 people did that much destruction.

Hell I even found a half finished Gatorade bottle in the woods between the Keep and NPC camp and a small chip bag on the side of the wall. Neither were old, they were both recent garbage.
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

Daffyd wrote: and a small chip bag on the side of the wall
Does it show I'm a larper when I read that and my first thoughts where, "Oh no, someone lost their healer bag?"
CharlesK
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by CharlesK »

It is very sad that we need to have this discussion. We are all adults here, and should all know how to pick up after ourselves. Additionally, if you are staying somewhere, and you see a mess that was left by someone who has already left, just clean it up. It's that simple. Now, I know that nobody wants to clean up other people's messes, but it is a privelege to stay in that building that we all share, and one person's mess left behind can make the rest of us look bad. So, to prevent that from happening, if you see a mess, pick it up. Simple solution.

Unfortunately, I had to leave when my ride left, and could not stay and help make sure the tavern was squeaky clean, and I was rather pissed when I found out that someone who did NOT sleep there had to. However, I did what I could before my ride was ready to go... granola wrappers on the floor, cigarette butts (WTF PEOPLE!), etc.

If everyone pitches in, we won't hve this problem. When you pack up your things, pick up your trash too, and if you see someone missed something, help out and get it. Since nobody knows who in particular left the mess all of us who stayed in that building are being blamed equally, and that really sucks for anyone who did pitch in before they left.

As the only person that slept in that building who has posted on this thread thus far, I first want to apologize, on behalf of ALL OF US who stayed there (since I really don't know who is really to blame) to everyone who was burdened with the mess... and also to make it clear that whoever is to blame knows who they are, and should be ashamed of themselves. I'm sure this will not happen again. With a dozen people sleeping in one building, the work load should be fairly light if EVERYONE pitches in!

I certainly don't want to pay an extra fee or not gain my levels simply because I am in the same building as someone who is not responsible for their own shit... so everyone take this to heart... I know I am repeating myself, but cleanup is EVERYBODY'S responsibility. It doesn't take much if EVERYONE helps, and if someone leaves a mess that is in your building, pick it up... it only takes a few minutes!

Once again, I am apologetic and ashamed on behalf of everyone who stayed at the tavern. It's really sad that this discussion must take place.