Feedback May 2010

What did you think of the last event? Post your opinions and disucss the comments of others here!

Moderator: Admin

Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Feedback May 2010

Post by Kalphoenix »

I had a great time this weekend, I wish I could have stayed all Saturday night as well, as there were some things I wanted to do that I didn't get to fit in.

I enjoyed all the scenarios I was a part of...the deadly laughing mushrooms, of whom almost killed me. I enjoyed the "eighth circle" riddle, even though it took me almost an hour to help figure it out. I particularly enjoyed the Valkyn'Vi oracle knowledge thing, as well as the issue with the tanner and the farms on the river.

I also particularly enjoyed my interactions with other PCs...I hope I will be far more focused my next event (and have a better grasp on my character) so we can sit down and roleplay with more cohesion, but it was still super fun as it was and while I, of course LOVE the GMs immensely, it's always the other PCs who make or break an event for me.

Thanks for the brownies and cookies, they rocked my world. I think the brownies were probably the best I have EVER had. I also left a bag of apples that I meant to share and forgot about in the fridge. I hope someone was able to take and enjoy them.

I still think there should be a few mechanic tweaks, but I did find that at least a few of my concerns are being looked at, so we will see. :D

As always, I enjoyed seeing everyone.

PS - Puppets for the win! "Starfire touch! Oops, I only have one lifepoint, blargh!" "Ooookay."
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

oh wow, this was a really good first FH event for me, so far this year is going good :)
had a blast with EVERYONE i interacted with, and i mean everyone, if you think i mean YOU, then yes your right :D your all great.
didnt go on to many plots as i had some character stuff to do this event, but the ones i did go on were great....mushrooms....that was great, and the follow up scene with mike, karen, and jared was awsome, i really wanted to talk with them but they would not stop laughing :lol: and in turn we got laughing and there was just no hope.

Gabriel - is magically delicious :lol:

Chris and Mike - ranting about the guards was awsome to listen too

Ulfgar - the scene was great, glad were all good

Aurora - the ultimate mushroom killer...well freezer

Keridwin - the dominating was fun 8)

and too all those i have not mentioned, your awsome! :D

all in all great event, had a blast, now i have a ship to catch :wink:
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Arìen
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Arìen »

This was a very fun event, I only wish I was not as tired from prom and wish I could have made it to the event a little earlier. As a whole, it was awesome. I was a little confused as to what was going on in the beginning, but it was easy to catch up.
I loved the rock puzzle and the fact that the NPCs all started singing and dancing, it was really funny.
My favorite part was by far the magic mushrooms, and the follow up plot we went on with the two beastman. Jared is awesome because he was the mushroom who was posed by Ark, Mike and Karen were ridiculous because of the constant contagious laughter; Gabriel, hugging Jared = priceless, Aurora constantly disenchanting was amazing as well.
Thanks to everyone, this was a great event for the beginning of the year :D

To Gabriel:
Aurora "You're magically...."
Arìen "DELICIOUS!!"
To Ark:
Aurora "You're the purple horseshoe or the red balloon"
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

I had a great time as Spike. I enjoyed grossing out as many people as I could. I really liked hanging out with Dallid, and the others.

Things went live pretty fast at game on, and we got brought into a series of fun plots that went until the night. I actually forced myself to go to bed around 1am or so.

Saturday was a little different, and there was great battle at the tree, which was followed up after game break.

Here, at least to me it felt stagnante. I didn't do anything really following this for the rest of the event. It may have been just me, but Saturday night felt very very plot light. (this could be that i just didn;t go on plots that popped up, that is always possibe.)

Having Melissa pop up and be kidnapped was AWESOME, and the way everyone treated it when there was knife to her through was great.

Julies baking and the coffee realy made the event for me.

I had a few issues during the game: (tree fight, first time, we got told 4-5 DIFFERNT things. ) Second time was much better.
Travis Cole
Aurora
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Aurora »

I'm going to divide this up because there was good and bad at the event.

The good and super-awsome:

Saturday night, just the whole night when Aurora was doing stuff from the magic mushrooms (btw that was a ton of fun) and all the other stuff I was up to.

Gabriel, Ark, Arien, Jerrod, Mike, and Karen: I don't think I've laughed that hard in a few weeks so for me best plot of the event!!!!!!!

To the Saturday crew I was doing stuff with, I had an absolute blast and that made my event.

Have I mentioned I LOVE disenchant now? Just saying :D

Dinner both Friday and Saturday night rocked (big props to Dani and Keil for that)

Breakfast Sunday for I had fun helping Dani make breakfast.

The PCs who allowed me to play coffee brewer and try a few experiments Saturday afternoon while I was guarding the keep, that's fun for me.

Rp'ing with Pear'An Saturday night making sure I understood what was going on, lot of fun so thanks!!!

Rp'ing with Jerrod late Saturday night was fun as well and another highlight of the event.

The bad:

Remember at game on when Dani, the GMs, and I were asking for people to pick up their stuff, put their recycles in the bag Dani had out and all? Well, apparently that went in one ear and out the other for until I actually went out on plots and stopped tying myself to the keep I was the one picking up.

When I have to play maid it doesn't make for a great event. It wasn't until Dani pulled me off to the side and told me to do stuff (btw thanks Dani :D ) I was sort of not having much fun.

There were a few other things that weren't so great as well but not worth really mentioning. The main thing is please guys we ask you to pick up after yourselves so a few people or one person doesn't end up having to do it all event for that's not fair to that group or that person.

-Julie
Aurora Darksbane

Mage Hunter of the Old Code
Caldonian Genderman
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

Had a ton of fun this event – which I feel was the best FH event in quite awhile. The events of the last couple years have been permeated by a ‘helpless’ feeling, where dire situations would be introduced, but the PCs could do nothing about them until much later in the event when ‘part 2’ of the plot was introduced. All efforts at progress appeared pointless, and that caused unending frustration. Didn’t feel that at all this time – seemed there was always something we could do to move forward. As such, I actually felt heroic for the first time in a long while.

While the plots of this event certainly weren’t forcing PCs into a holding pattern, I think a lot of this feeling also came from the new knowledge-gathering skills of the new rules. They were awesome! Being able to Probe Minds and seek Recall hints provided ways passed any roadblock that came up, allowing progress when otherwise we could have been hopelessly stuck. As such, this event I felt thoroughly enabled and effective.

The event started with deadened fields in need of investigation, and this investigation got underway quickly with villagers gone missing in their vicinity. A wonderful way to quickly spur the event in motion! In the course of this investigation, we healed a diseased girl, getting more background lore in the process, encountered shadow creatures consuming the land, dealt with the complex dynamic between a loving husband, a caring, yet murderous, father, a confused but powerful entity, and a bandit attack on a caravan. Lots of combat and incredible role-play in engaging scenes. This was all just the opening act. The bandits were part of a well-organized syndicate. The shadows were emerging from a portal which had to be closed swiftly before they consumed all life on Phanterra. Great intro!

Later, Gypsum came and fetched Dallid as Cody was dying – details taken from an inbetween-events player-posted story. This was awesome as it formed a solid connection between the LARP and on-line happenings – a connection I seldom feel outside brief Player-on-player RP. Much appreciated!

I think the last thing I participated in Friday night was the Valkin’Vi ritual. It was somewhat lengthy, but was a nifty way to explain the changes made by the new game rules. I’m glad the NPCs warned us about this ahead of time. I had worked out a long story to explain Dallid’s changes, but knew from that warning not to RP that reasoning. In the end, I didn’t have to keep the story in mind, I could just say ‘this is the way Dallid is’. I’m also glad I didn’t have time to post the story before the event. :P. Though the ‘differences’ certainly confused Balthos, which was incredible fun!

Perhaps the first Saturday plot I participated in was the Numbers puzzle leading to the singing prince and his chorus. Have to appreciate all the work that went into that – hilarious and entertaining.

After that came tracking the lone bandit from the site of the caravan attack, which in turn led to the camp of the bandit fence, which then lead to the main bandit camp, goblins who bought stuff from the bandits, and a troll cave that held stones the goblins wanted in trade for the bandit merchandise – a whole series of inter-related adventures! Glorious fun!

The final Portal Battle was a good mass battle, and it was nice to see Val focusing on a positive purpose. However, ‘Root Fear’ is a ‘kill PCs like bitches’ call, and was used WAY too often. Once or twice for the encounter would have been scary. In this battle they were used more like once or twice per minute. Also, as occurred at the main bandit camp and black fiends battles before, NPCs would frequently pop instantly into play with no warning – sometimes even in melee range, and sometimes dealing an immediate and massive initial strike. Not Fun. At CARPS, NPCs have to announce they’re bringing a new monster into the middle of a fight with calls like “One I emerge. Two I emerge. Three I emerge. Four I emerge. Five I emerge.” Such warnings are only fair and offer a much more realistic depiction of what’s going on – ie. The heroes are rarely blind to enemies until they’re right beside them swinging weapons.
Putting your hand over your head, walking behind a PC, then bringing your hand down and hitting him for “12” just sucks.

The NPCs brought in a number of fun, funny, and/or interesting RP characters such as the Singing Prince, and the Mining Village dwarves. The Surprise Birthday Party was hilarious fun! Unfortunately there were also a lot of demi-gods walking around, too. Hard to feel heroic or special when you’re constantly interacting with beings who can squash you with little more than a thought like Genoeve, Balthos, the Aspects of Knowledge, Life, and Death, and the portal guardians. Coming across an uber-being once in a great while can add an interesting dynamic, but PCs feel reduced to powerless pawns when an event is flooded with them.

Esmerelda’s kidnapping was another fun encounter. Got to use Sleep on one kidnapper and Disarm on the one holding Esmerelda to facilitate her escape. THAT was a heroic feeling!

It was also nice to see all the PCs working together for the most part. Or at least they didn’t appear to be working against one another. Everyone added to the experience. The debates over justice with Franchesco and concerns about the guards added immersive flavor to the event. Just being in the presence of Rhul, Spike, or Gabriel offered a sense of martial strength. Modrie’s diplomacy was fun to witness. And, of course, kudos to the kitchen staff for their offerings of wondrous meals! Awesome event, thanks to NPCs and PCs, alike! Stayed busy, active, and/or entertained the entire time. Very positive experience!
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
Rothek
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Rothek »

here it is!, my last post as ulfgar. enjoy

i personally had an excellent time, great first event.

the awesome!!:

life healing ulfgars eye after he had yelled at her and utterly acted like a douche

BEST CHARACTER DEATH EVER!!!!! i never saw it coming and then again when Altearez was carrying me out of town ark was hiding in the woods waiting for me. this scene turned out beautifully because everyone involved was so deep in character and it made for great roleplay. this was one of my favorite parts of the event .

running into the troll cave at full speed with paeran and ransacking everything while they were distracted.

getting the killing blow on kerydwn's mummy and then charging another contemplating revenge while balrick was curing her disease

the good:

coming in as braidenvayl and meeting everyone over again and hearing about how people haven't seen ulfgar in a long time, then asking "who's this ulfgar guy i keep hearing about?"

being asked to blast one of the bandits so dallid could probe his mind and ultimately frustrating the hell out of Francesco

nailing eric with a point blank 13 magic after he tried to escape.

five words: super dragon breath of doom!!

my only concern this event was this .

like Dallid said the fight to close the portal was fun and a good mass battle but really think it was at some points unbalanced and the "slick area" for lack of a better term, was confusing, i felt like a yo-yo at some points because i as soon as i got healed and up i would get hit by root fear and then a something vorpal and be back down again, this got to be very frustrating after a while.

now for some shout outs

balrick- thanks for keeping me alive during the portal battle i owe you a few

Dave- watching you dance was the best thing i have seen ever

Kiel- thank for the impromptu fight lessons, putting up with braide's shenanigans for most of the event and for cooking on saturday, the meatballs were fantastic

altearez, leo and his crew- you guys were great to fight and roleplay with
every time i interacted with you. well done!

Scott: best use of flee ever!!!

and finally ark: what else can i say, the scene was perfect!

here's to having fun with everybody at a great first event.
Rothek HowlingFang
Den-father of the Howling Fang tribe.
friend and ally of the dwarves of Killeshandra.
Esmerelda
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Esmerelda »

Was it worth it to drive 3 hours after getting out of work Saturday evening to show up at the event at 10:30?

OH HELL YES!!!!! :lol:

I had an amazing time, even for the short amount I was there. I felt so bad about missing the begining of the event, so thank you to the gms for providing me with a viable reason as to why Haven would be without Es. And while Karen and I had perhaps a bit too much fun with the handcuffs, the rescue was an awesome scene and I loved every minute of it.

Coming back to the keep kicked off a wonderful night full of reoleplaying with many characters. Jared, you played Aaron perfectly, it was truly amazing (and creepy) to see him finally come to life. You managed to bring out a side of Aeric that has previously been unseen. I loved being able to be "girly" with Fionna, Shea, Keridwyn and Genivieve. While sometimes it is fun to be in save the world mode, sometimes it's nice for my character to be just a young woman every once in a while and only have to worry about regular girly concerns. (Like who sent me the amazing unsigned love poetry? :D )

I was sad that I didn't get to spend more time getting to know all the new characters that arrived. Hopefully next event, when I'm there for more than 7 hours of play time.

But I had a wonderful time and just wanted to drop a short line to say thanks to everyone who made it so.
Lady Esmerelda Harrison,
Queen of the Kingdom of Haven

"What if in order to save everything you hold dear, you have to become everything you hate?"
Altearez
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Altearez »

awesome first event!

didn't plot much but the npc's that came to the keep were freaking amazing, I can't think of his name right now but the knight that was a distraction was hilarious and then when he became a pc it was better, kudos for amazing and hilarious role playing, being nagged at for not guarding 5 holes with three guards kinda sucked but we made the best of it, I'm proud of the entire pc base, I remember my first event which wasn't too long ago where everyone wanted to kill everyone even thought if we didn't stop arguing we were all going to die, his event wasn't like that it was somewhat peaceful and i wasn't turning my back every 10 seconds expecting vorpal knockout and what not

favorite plot: it would be the mushrooms but for some reason i can't remember anything about mushrooms.

favorite npc: pumpa "read, read, eight circle, sad, pumpa, sad, eight circle, sad...." lol i'm laughing right now
ImageImageImage
Drake Silentfoot
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Drake Silentfoot »

Had an ok event, i was kinda bored npcing but i realized that that isnt my thing. I think that i have decided that pcing is where i belong during larp. The best thing that has happened to me so far at a final haven event has been persival, aka the retard knight. He was a throw away npc that somehow turned into a pc thanks to the pcs at castle gravesbane. Persival is interesting to say the least and i am very pleased that i am now able to play him as a pc. The pcs were awesome the entire event, good roleplay(had a blast rping with kiel at the castle, freakin hilarious) and the fighting was very fun too. I dont think i had any gripes at all for the event and the last part of the event when i got to play persival was great and many thanks to the gm staff for being so helpful. Cant wait to come back!
"Well they said that either i cud be a town guard or dey wud cut my head off. Well DUH, of course i picked town guard!"
Shisou
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Shisou »

That was an epic event!
I have to say comparing that to Springhaven that I'm used to is like comparing a scooter to a rocket ship! So in other words ITS OVER 9000!!!!!! hehehe, I had to throw that in.
But yeah, it was awesome...kinda bumbed that we didnt get to meet the avatar of death, but whatever.
Looking forward to continuing this and I will be coming back from Canada for all of them!

Oh, I lost one of my swords, its all black, made of a tan and grey camp pad, has a cloth cover on it. I let someone borrow it and never got it back (probably because I left sunday morning before people where up). If anyone knows where it is or has it, just pm me or something and let me know you have it and bring it to the next event (I just want to know where its at right now). Thanks
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Who said you didnt meet the avatar of death?

What plot are you refering to though?
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Haku
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Haku »

So here's my feedback on the first epic event of the season:

Had a great time playing Paer'An, and I'm really glad I did more RP'ing that actual combat. While he did mix it up a little bit during the event, i thoroughly enjoyed the PC and NPC interactions he had. Loved the game on announcement of "Well, to explain all the new skills and rewrites, this is how your characters always remembered being" Nice, short, sweet and to the point. The action Friday was fun, but I LOOOOVVVEED when the Grand Oracle showed up for the Ritual. That scene as well as RP'ing with Stark's NPC late friday night made the event for me.

As some people already pointed out, it felt that sat was a little slow between plot hooks, but it gave me a chance to test out some new skills. Wandering around by yourself is always a good time, and sat night was no exception. Actually sitting down and having a conversation with the handful of PC's was a refreshing change of pace.

The food like always, was amazing and major kudos to the kitchen staff (as always, you went above and beyond). Coffee and cookies is always a welcome pick me up, especially when all I want to do is sleep.

Great job to all the new and returning PC's, while I didn't have a chance to meet and greet all of you, from what I saw it's gonna be an amazing year!

p.s. ~ Days without incident - 3 :D

And I think he's referring to the 'Man in Black' that the Avatar of Knowledge said was coming
~ Carpe Nocturn ~

Paer'An' Alla'Ana
Lightning Rider
Defender of the Flame
Honor Guard of the Last Grand Oracle
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

Haku wrote: p.s. ~ Days without incident - 3 :D
:lol: you actually did it, now we just need an active tally in your sig :P
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Shisou
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Shisou »

GM_Chris wrote:Who said you didnt meet the avatar of death?

What plot are you refering to though?
I had heard that we where supposed to meet the avatar of death as a plot. Either it didn't happen or the GM's are very sneaky. I had figured that it didn't happen because we closed the portal. But I don't really know for sure.