I was bored...

Let the sane of mind not trod here!

Moderator: Admin

Sunny
Town Member
Town Member

I was bored...

Post by Sunny »

If only I could get the forum to ACTUALLY display html. No matter how I tweek the permissions and settings... phpBB just WILL NOT permit it, which is sad because I made this for a forum sig...

http://www.wix.com/Ravenfire/vaunsig

I'm sad face that I can't use it.

EDIT:

Hey... I think I got html to work! Ya just have to enable it in your profile if you can't see the image and only the code.

<center><embed src="http://static.wix.com/client/app.swf" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" allowNetworking="all" allowScriptAccess="always" FlashVars="pageId=Wr_F6IZD7uU-a&embedFormat=normal&embedID=YAdMMg7DxFglk030bPgXFV0QuKovXA75qum6_wCChJCxWeWnqAmxiVsJgA89Gpiva&partner_id=WMGs4POB1ko-a" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="700" height="200" base="http://static.wix.com" scale="noscale" salign="tl"></embed></center>
Last edited by Sunny on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Well you could always work on a super cool new forum place hosted somewhere and then we could migrate everything to the new forum and then you could have your sig :)
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Sunny
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Sunny »

If you're SERIOUS... I can start working on it. Ask Melissa about the Serenity site and forum I made them. Snazzy!

http://www.outoftheblacklarp.com
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

My thoughts on SWF signatures

Post by Torakhan »

The signature is fairly large (200 pixels tall) on the screen and took me over 2 minutes to load on my dial-up. I can only imagine how long it'd take if everyone had animated SWF signatures, and just how full a forum would be if every post had one (or more) large signatures.
(And, seriously? Auto-play music signatures? I can't wait until multiple people have that feature, and having to turn them off on every thread one at a time... Auto-play music is the bane of web pages. I thought we got rid of those in the 90s.)

Personally, I hate forums where more room is taken up by signatures than usable content. I'd rather have signatures removed entirely so that the only content in a forum is the necessary information people have posted, but I can live with the limited signatures that are used here.

Having forums filled with multiple large, long-loading, flashing, music-playing signatures every time each person posts would certainly drive me away from the forums (not such a bad thing for some folks.) But more importantly, it might drive others away too.

That's just my thoughts and opinion on the matter.[/i]
Arthur Dreese - West Michigan
I just want to see tomorrow, day by day to just survive. / But this place is built to kill me. No one here gets out alive. ~Alice Cooper "Cold Machines"
"Beware the designer who does not design to play his own game." ~Justin Achilli, Vampire: the Masquerade Developer
Sunny
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Sunny »

*pokes the sig* S' not supposed to auto-play. Auto-play is the bane of the net. And... not everyone can do what I can. *wink*

The dimensions can be restricted. Most forums are 100x600 - 250x700, depending on the forum. That saves on junk.

Besides... dial-up is fail, Art. *pokes* Though, I recognize there are still some folks, albeit few, who can't get DSL or cable just yet.
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

SWF

Post by Torakhan »

*chuckles* I'm glad you didn't take any of that personally--it wasn't meant to be any sort of personal attack. Just that I have concerns when you open up abilities to folks... who find "fun" things to do with it, and then, well, the fun ends for those who treat it responsibly.

As for the autoplay, your sig for your character account on the OutOfTheBlackLARP has a "rock" autoplay. That's what drew me the feature.

And, trust me... if I could get even a 1MB line that didn't sink my budget I would. *sighs* My next trick is to contact a congressman or the likes, since no company that is out to make money would apparently find any profit from the expenditures needed to run high-speed lines down our road. :( It really is sad. I don't live in the middle of nowhere... It's just... a small area that time forgot. :(
I just want to see tomorrow, day by day to just survive. / But this place is built to kill me. No one here gets out alive. ~Alice Cooper "Cold Machines"
"Beware the designer who does not design to play his own game." ~Justin Achilli, Vampire: the Masquerade Developer
Sunny
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Sunny »

Nah. I know you well enough to know that you're not that kinda guy. If you were personally attacking me, I'd know! *lol*

I'll have to fix my OotB sig. That's not supposed to be auto-play either. *pokes it in the face with a broom* I'll have to edit the settings.

My mom lived in an area like that. for whatever reason, they just... DIDN'T do cable out there. Had no plans to either. Which is just plain retarded in this net connected world in which we live. Net is almost as necessary as plumbing with a lot of jobs and such, so there's really no excuse. And it becomes more utilized and expected with each passing year.

The only real fix is to make wireless a utility like anything else. I know that some areas are proposing such things.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

*cough* cell phone tether *cough*

I use it all the time when traveling.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Torakhan »

The only service that gets any sort of signal here is Nextel, oddly enough. Verison, Sprint, and AT&T get 1 bar or 2 at best. Not great if you want to keep a stable connection with internet.

Unfortunately, laws and the likes haven't caught up on the idea that speed of information is as important as electricity or telephone... until then, it's up to profitability, public relations, or government pressure to give high-speed internet to those of us in this no-man's-land. :(
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

signal strength is based on your phone most of the time. Paying the $$$ for a good phone is worth it if you plan on using a phone for anything other than a flashlight, especially living in spotty areas, which is ironically how I found out how much of a difference a good phone makes.

Also, nextel has tethering for free I believe. I know at most it's a one time fee of $15 with the right phone.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.