36%
No way, Firefly sucks
No votes

Total votes: 22
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

There will be plenty of oportunity to be big damn heroes with or without a gun.
Heck yeah, just look at Wash's character. :wink:
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

WayneO42 wrote:I just want to re-iterate, for the RP centered people, that this will be an RP game not a MIL-SIM. There will be plenty of oportunity to be big damn heroes with or without a gun.
How about both?

Anyways, I guess this means I better, y'know, actually WATCH the series, since I own it now? Otherwise I suppose there will be some lynching from Travis.
Mike: For the majority of you, choosing to use a packet instead of a weapon is a hindrance because your aims suck.

Travis: Crap he is on to me.
Zaire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zaire »

Either way I'm enough of a fan of the series to still be involved.

I'd love to NPC for you.

I also know a whole slew of people in the A2 area who would make a trip for the fun.
To avoid the confusion you may call me....

Stark
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

I also know a whole slew of people in the A2 area who would make a trip for the fun
Cool. If rides are an issue, we can probably work out a carpool. I'm near the A2 area myself. Now we just need a site and a date. I will post tomorrow about how things will work for this shindig
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Kalphoenix wrote: How about both?
Definately
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Zaire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zaire »

I think you may know a few of them Wayne...

they used to be in GEM at EMU.

Stark
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

I have emailed the creators of the Serenity UK LRP and asked permission to use the rule set. I hope to hear back from them soon. When I do, I will post a formal How this Shindig will happen thread. For now, my tenative plan is to have people sign up for one of the following:

Staff- Help organize, write plot, and NPC. Will have access to all forums.
Organizer- Help organize the logistics of the event but will have the choice to play or NPC. If you choose to PC, you will get first crack at any overcrowded character slots. Have access to all but Plot forums
PC- Show up and play. Must preregister for the event. Will have access to IC and OOC PC forums.

PCs will be divided amongst Crew and Townies. Crew will be members of a ships crew on a specific mission which will be relayed to the captain of the vessel prior to the event. There will be two crews of five to eight core members. Those who want to play captains should speak up ASAP and provide me with a character history and a character sheet. Captains are expected to help with the OOG organizing of the event. Note, you must explain how and why you have a ship. You will probably have to take "Wealth" or "Investment" several times to get one. The captains will be given a list of core crew positions. They will be responsible for creating IC Help Wanted adds and "Interviewing" characters for the positions. Closer to the event date, they will be give their mission at which time they may see fit to "Hire" additional specialty crew.

Those who dont want to spend life in the black or may find themselves without a ship or crew will play townies in a settlement on a frontier planet. There will be a list of key roles that need to be filled in the town (Mayor, sherif, shepard, store owner, etc). Those who want to fill one of those roles can reserve the slot and make their character around some key points that will be provided. Preferance will go to those who help organize the game. The town will be where most of the action is so dont think that you need to be crew to get into the plot. On the contrary, most townies will be pre-written into atleast one subplot.

Sound good? Any suggestions for improvement
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

Sounds like an awesome idea. I'd be interested in being an Organizer, but I'd have to know what that job would entail exactly (and where and when the event is -that's important, too)

I would sooooo love to play a ships grease-monkey. In all types of story they are always my favorite character.

Another type of plot point for the event:

Maybe the event is some kind of annual swap-meet near a town on a slightly backwater moon, the sort of commonly occuring shindig that draws ships and their crews from all corners of the known 'verse (which could get you more crews for the event). If using a venue like Rota-Kiwan, the fort is where the main bazaar is located (it's built like a fort for protection from raiders and other ne-er do well's). NPC camp is per normal for a FH event.

The 'Inn' and the surrounding buildings represent the 'landing strip'. Maybe the smaller cabins (the un-powered ones) are representing smaller shuttles like Serenity has a pair of, and the main building we normally use is some sort of larger ship that has it's own docking berth.

While widely known as the place to be for anything you need, the swap meet is still home to enough underhanded dealings and backroom politics that there's always the chance of things exploding at any time- and they do, with great frequency. But hey, you gotta be tough to get the good deals.
Zaire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zaire »

Daine wrote:Sounds like an awesome idea. I'd be interested in being an Organizer, but I'd have to know what that job would entail exactly (and where and when the event is -that's important, too)

I would sooooo love to play a ships grease-monkey. In all types of story they are always my favorite character.

Another type of plot point for the event:

Maybe the event is some kind of annual swap-meet near a town on a slightly backwater moon, the sort of commonly occuring shindig that draws ships and their crews from all corners of the known 'verse (which could get you more crews for the event). If using a venue like Rota-Kiwan, the fort is where the main bazaar is located (it's built like a fort for protection from raiders and other ne-er do well's). NPC camp is per normal for a FH event.

The 'Inn' and the surrounding buildings represent the 'landing strip'. Maybe the smaller cabins (the un-powered ones) are representing smaller shuttles like Serenity has a pair of, and the main building we normally use is some sort of larger ship that has it's own docking berth.

While widely known as the place to be for anything you need, the swap meet is still home to enough underhanded dealings and backroom politics that there's always the chance of things exploding at any time- and they do, with great frequency. But hey, you gotta be tough to get the good deals.
I like the idea of using the nonpowered cabins as ships or shuttles. Each crew could have one to themselves. Neat. The swap meet/gathering is an awesome idea too. If the event goes well it could become a yearly event.

I would suggest allowing more crews, that way you can let people who might be coming from one area be a crew. The townies and such could be your NPC troupe. Helping move the story and such.

Count me in for Staff Wayne. I'll help you in any way I can.

Stark
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

Although, how much of an issue will using non-biodegradable plastic pellets be at a camp with cabins?
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Corbyn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Corbyn »

Love Firefly. Love shooting at people with Airsoft guns.

Wayne, I don't know if I would have time to help write plots or organize, but I would NPC or PC as needed. If you need a wandering preacher with an assault rifle I've got you covered. Do I get extra points if someone makes a mud statue of my character?

Unfortunately, the bad part of this is means now the inevitable Vince/Reid/Nelkie arms race will commence. I think I am leading the tactical paintball race, but Nelkie is highly motivated with Airsoft. :D

Reid, If we pool our cash, I think the minigun becomes plausible. We can mount it in the back of my GMC Sonoma-class space vessel.
Corbyn Gravesbane
Lord High Cavalier
The Hand of Woodhold
Elder of Final Haven
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

Although, how much of an issue will using non-biodegradable plastic pellets be at a camp with cabins?
You could always try to encourage people to use the biodegradeable ones. You can get something like 4,000 for under 20 bucks. I would think that's enough for several people for a single event, especially if they are using pistols and shotguns (which I encourage over heavy artillery for the 'Firefly' feel).

Reid, If we pool our cash, I think the minigun becomes plausible. We can mount it in the back of my GMC Sonoma-class space vessel.
I personally am looking into a cool shotgun, just for fun at home. It has three smaller barrels inside the main one, so you actually fire a spread. It uses single shotgun shell-shaped magazines that hold 30 rounds each.
Smitty19
GM

Post by Smitty19 »

Vince, im letting you know right now, if you end up getting that minigun, i am gonna be following you around like a love sick puppy with a giant man crush, but not really for you, just for your "hardware"

(c:

And BTW, this SOUND AWESOME!! I am willing to do anything that needs to be done, be it pc/npc/help organize...let me know

Brett
Serith Darkheart

"I dont make Threats....Only Promises"
Corbyn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Corbyn »

Brett, you could help lug that monster around. I like the SAW models as well. There are 6-7 different models/brands that look groovy. I was thinking that if we need to limit the firepower a bit, we could have any weapons with certain specs (heavy, high FPS, rate of fire, sniper, etc) be only allowed as fixed gun emplacements on ships or town buildings. This could add a cool element of defense without becoming overly offensive and also let players with a penchant for war have some extra mojo opportunities. It would also give the captains other options to attract business, upgrade ships, and impact their recruiting efforts.
Corbyn Gravesbane
Lord High Cavalier
The Hand of Woodhold
Elder of Final Haven
Malachi
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Malachi »

Thinking about it, my original reaction was a bit...wrong.

Not sure that I'd like to play a character, though. I'm curious as to how it'll work out.

I am, however, more than willing to lend a hand as an NPC, or whatever it is you may need.
Malachi Vandire - Deceased
Solomon Feir

Scott Smith