Reflection's

Let the sane of mind not trod here!

Moderator: Admin

General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Reflection's

Post by General Maximus »

I was thinking about a man called Vince Dean and what he accomplished in a game we all play called Final Haven. Vince spent 6 years playing a game which he played both ends against the middle with no PC knowing what his true goals where. Not even the closest people that worked with him had any idea what his true goals where.

Vince did it right, he did not tell anybody what he was truly planning and just feed enough information to people to get what he wanted. He was the ultimate PC villain. I have no idea how he kept quite for 6 years and have no idea how he was able to fool the town of Haven for so long. What he did in short, is plain amazing.

I have heard many people complain about what happened, and that the NPC’s played favorites, etc… I was their since day one, and Vince earned everything he got in game with skillful manipulation of the people around him. He was never handed a thing from the NPC’s, he work for it all. Also, when the NPC’s realized what Vince was about, they tried and tried so warn the PC’s about threat of Corbyn and sent in multiple plots to try to help the PC’s. In the end, the NPC’s did not want to see the town go down and did what they could to save it, but Vince out thought and planned us all.

I find the experience very bitter sweet. I thought I knew what was going on, but to be utterly surprised at the end and find out that I truly knew nothing. I applaud Vince and what he did, it took, planning, dedication, patience, and balls. He won a Larp which you are not suppose to win.
NewGuy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by NewGuy »

The surest way to keep a secret In Game, is to keep that secret Out Of Game as well.
GLOMP!
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

That is a very ture statement. But can you imagine keeping a secert for 6 years! That is a very detemined and pataient person.
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

Actually I think the term for that type of person is sociopathic :lol:
Slisk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Slisk »

Depends on what the goal was. If it was to kill X number of PCs, or a set of particular PCs, and he achieved or surpassed that, then, yeah, he won.

If his goal was to kill EVERY PC, he has not yet won.

If the goal is to survive, you win every event your character completes.

If the goal is to kill a particular PC or NPC, you win the LARP when that happens.

If your goal is to gain a particular spell, item, or ability, you win the LARP when that occurs.

If your goal is be the head of a Guild, House, town, nation, or world, you win when that happens.
Last edited by Slisk on Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Aaron what yo hould do is tell it from your perspective. You are his friend. You named you boy after his character. You brought him to FH as basically a pet to your own plans at domination.

What happened? How much did you know?
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

I knew about 90% of what he was up to. He just kept his evil plans from me and everyone else, which was the smartest thing he could have done :D
That is the bitter sweet thing, bitter that he did not confide into me all his plans, sweet that he did not which allowed him control his own destiny and not fully rely on anyone. Which if you are going to be evil in a larp, is what you have to do.

The funny thing is, I didn't want a leadership role when the game first started. I tried to get vince to take the role, but he wouldn't. Instead he watched and learned. And when the time was right, he stepped up. To be honest, I prefer to be a number 2 guy which worked very well for me when vince took the leadership role.
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

I also think that many of the players' actions made it sooooo much easier for Vince to do what he did (not to lessen your impact, Vince :wink: ). I sometimes saw a serious lack of roleplaying and communication between the 'good' side of the town. It's why the characters up at the fort seriously whooped arse, even when some of them were in turn done in by their supposed leader and ally.

Many times NPC's came into the inn asking for help, and everyone went, "Meh, we don't want to.", and the NPC had to walk away bemused. I'm sure others saw the same thing.

Hell, my character actually helped set up most of the defenses of the keep, even the ones that aided Corbyn, simply because he personally listened to my character's input when noone else needed Durgan's help because "They really needed more warriors for 'X' quest".
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

You where a great help setting up the defense of the keep for the big battle. Our hope was to get people involved and just guide them to what we where looking for. And the plans you and Ka came up made very good logical sense in defense of the keep.

I'm looking foward to roleplaying with you more.
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

Well, thanks. In actuality, I wasn't even bothered that Durgan's help got twisted back upon him, because of the fact that as a player I was pleased with the give and take with you guys.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

And you shouldn't feel to bad about being beaten by a battle plan that we had been working on for almost a year. :) I was nervous you guys might come up with something there at the end as an alternative and I know Vince was too.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Aurora
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Aurora »

*Shrug*

I seriously would like the whole "sinister plan" dropped. It's in the past and I still feel pretty bad for my part in the whole thing.

TBH if I knew more then I did yeah I wouldn't have done what I did.
Aurora Darksbane

Mage Hunter of the Old Code
Caldonian Genderman
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Neither would have Nelkie's character. ;) That was kinda the point.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

You are right on that point my firend. But it is time for new begginings and I'm looking foward to that.
Aurora
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Aurora »

Amen to that...

As in so am I.... :D
Aurora Darksbane

Mage Hunter of the Old Code
Caldonian Genderman