Random RP thought

Let the sane of mind not trod here!

Moderator: Admin

marduk
Town Member
Town Member

Random RP thought

Post by marduk »

I was thinking about Rangers as a character class. Somewhere along the line, I think it was D&D that came up with it, Rangers were able to cast spells. Every game I've seen with rangers since then has spells. I was wondering if anyone knew the rationale for that.

I know that Palladium RPG had no spells for Rangers but that was the only one I know of.
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

Probably because Arigorn knew some elvin magic.

All things Dnd were stolen
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member
Location: Look over your shoulder... better yet... just keep your eyes forward.

Post by Atrum Draconus »

In original D&D there wasn't a ranger that was added afterwards when druid and palladin were added. And I think Legolas was more the inspiration for the ranger, although Aragorn would work too, but the ranger was depicted as an archer more than a swordsman. But thats just my opinion.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
Hand of King Chimeron Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

Mainly I say Aragorn because he was Stryder, of the Dúnedain rangers of the North lands. There was also Rangers of Ithilien, from the south lands of Gondor, like Faramir.
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Donovan Thynedar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Donovan Thynedar »

Paladin was a fighter-type class that could cast cleric spells. Ranger can cast wizard/sorcerer spells, and both came in at the same time. The inspiration for Ranger magic may have been simple game balance.
One should rather die than be betrayed. There is no deceit in death. It delivers precisely what it has promised. Betrayal, though ... betrayal is the willful slaughter of hope.
marduk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by marduk »

Onimaster wrote:Probably because Arigorn knew some elvin magic.

All things Dnd were stolen
I think Gygax stated at some point that the entire basis for D&D was Middle-Earth.
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member
Location: Look over your shoulder... better yet... just keep your eyes forward.

Post by Atrum Draconus »

Donovan Thynedar wrote:Paladin was a fighter-type class that could cast cleric spells. Ranger can cast wizard/sorcerer spells, and both came in at the same time. The inspiration for Ranger magic may have been simple game balance.
Right, in D&D fighter\cleric became palladin, monk\cleric or magic user became druid, and fighter\magic user became ranger. Wow, just thinking back to the original classes makes me yearn for THAC0... well ok maybe not...
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
Hand of King Chimeron Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
marduk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by marduk »

Atrum Draconus wrote:In original D&D there wasn't a ranger that was added afterwards when druid and palladin were added. And I think Legolas was more the inspiration for the ranger, although Aragorn would work too, but the ranger was depicted as an archer more than a swordsman. But thats just my opinion.
I admittedly didn't join the ranks of D&D until after the advent of Advanced. Ranger I think first debuted (sp?) in Dragon Magazine. And was added into the revised version of Dungeons and Dragons as an Expert Class. You had to be some level Figter first and be of good alignment. So, we think the magic part was elfy. Makes sense. I was just trying to look for the idea behind it without reverse engineering it.
marduk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by marduk »

Donovan Thynedar wrote:Paladin was a fighter-type class that could cast cleric spells. Ranger can cast wizard/sorcerer spells, and both came in at the same time. The inspiration for Ranger magic may have been simple game balance.
I remember fondly the time when there was such a vast separation of the magic types. Now everything gets so muddled.
Sheogorath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Sheogorath »

marduk wrote: I think Gygax stated at some point that the entire basis for D&D was Middle-Earth.
If it comes down to it, don't almost all modern fantasy books games and such have some roots in Tolkien's work?
I am me, except for when I am not, then I'm not me, I'm him. Then again when I am not me, who is me?
marduk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by marduk »

For sure. D&D is just a straight theft. HA!
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

no not all. Most but not all. In fact many stealform D&D and AD&D which ganked from Tolkien.
There were/are a few that are all their own, most notable was a game called Powers and Perils. TOTALY unique but not popular or well supported so it was dropped. Avalon Hill made it if i remember, ill have to look at my set. VERY complex system though.

Dragon Quest was rather unique as I remember it. Chivalry and Sorcery was more based off of mythology, but was CRAZY complex.

Iron Crown Enterprises put out a system that was also very much its own, but has to be the MOST complex I have ever seen. It was called Role master but most players called it RULES MASTER and with good cause. I once made a PC for a gaming group I played with and it took me 2 Saturday session of about 5 hours each night. They had a skill for everything. Hell we used to joke when somone went to pee that they had to see if they made their roll first.

The best table top game system I've played can be found here: http://www.tai-gear.com , but it starts out as a generic system. It has the SMOOTHEST combat system ive played, and im old. Its called Eternal Soldier.

Hope that helps
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

And Tolkien was brought to Christ from C.S. Lewis.

CopyCATS the lot of them
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

uhm..no:
As already given above, Tolkien's devout faith was significant in the conversion of C. S. Lewis from atheism to Christianity, although Tolkien was greatly disappointed that Lewis chose to return to Anglicanism,[20] rather than becoming a Catholic like himself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._R._R._Tolkien
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
marduk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by marduk »

Chris,

I think Brian has you there.