Heroscape

Let the sane of mind not trod here!

Moderator: Admin

Malphus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Malphus »

I quit playing Warhammer because it drove me crazy. It is more complex than BattleTech with the billion of modifiers. I would recommend HeroClix. I had a regular Clixs game I would play with a friend for about every other week for a year. It was a lot of fun. It just got boring. Too simple a game.

I enjoyed Pirates! though. Still have my boats if anyone wants to play....um I mean.....never mind. Anyone play Magic: the Gathering any more?

(just laughing at myself)
NewGuy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by NewGuy »

I have two tackle boxes full of Pirates! too bad they're in Colorado with me. I also have a little over 2000 of the Starwars CCG
GLOMP!
Gabrial
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Gabrial »

Pirates!...yeah, I have 2 boxes full myself. Loved the game, but no one ever wanted to play it.
Sometimes you need to see the world in a different way...
Malphus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Malphus »

Is Mage Knight any good?

and about Pirates, I play Spanish.
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

WayneO42 wrote:I Loved Heroquest. That game needs to be re-printed. I used to like Talisman as well. It has been re-printed recently
*Does a Dance* I did the mad door rush at GenCon on the second day to get an early-release copy of the new Talisman (Pretty sure it's out for general release now). I am a Talisman fanatic!

I DO have a copy of Heroquest. If you liked it, a good, more modern release of a game like it is called Descent. I didn't care for it because it cost $80 and takes too long to set it all up, but it one of those adventure-based dungeon crawler games. My husband liked it enough to buy it. In it's favor, there are a lot of cool pieces and the mechanics are an offshoot of another game by the same folks that I DO like.

On the top of my list for adventure board games under Talisman is the Runebound series of games. It plays a little bit like Talisman except there is more to the fighting mechanics and the world is more fleshed out. Also, monsters and the like are on playing-sized cards instead of small ones.

I also have a game called "Return of the Heroes" with an expansion called "Under the Shadow of the Dragon." It's...lets just say I bought it a few years ago, but I'm still trying to figure it out.

Munchkin the card game tops my list for ease of the learning curve, the humor and the ease of setup and tear down. It's also pretty cutthroat.
Andian
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Andian »

That's what I meant, Runebound.
Knight of the Frozen Way, Sir Andian Eannon
"Law is mind without reason."
--Aristotle
Verity and Equity
NewGuy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by NewGuy »

Malphus wrote:and about Pirates, I play Spanish.
I'm French, I'm sorry
GLOMP!
Sheogorath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Sheogorath »

Munchkin the card game tops my list for ease of the learning curve, the humor and the ease of setup and tear down. It's also pretty cutthroat.
I've played that actually...I really like it.
I am me, except for when I am not, then I'm not me, I'm him. Then again when I am not me, who is me?
kmeinka
New in Town
New in Town

Post by kmeinka »

I have heroscape. I enjoy it quite a bit. There are a TON of expansions out there too and they actually provide quite a bit of variety to the game. You can really develop some fairly in-depth strategy with the game but it still stays a fairly simple game. I also like the adaptability of the 3-D game board. It may be similar to hero clicks, but I prefer this one.

I also have munchkin, and all of the expansions. It has gotten so out of hand that in order to shuffle and play in a timely fashion I had to buy an automatic card shuffler. It is a great, fun game.

Heroquest was fun, for what it was but in comparison to some of todays games it was pretty simple. I think our nostalga for it has built it up perhaps more than it deserves. Now who remembers Advanced Heroquest? Stupid skaven...

Another great game in that style was Warhammer Quest. Similar in a lot of ways but WAY more expandable. But it is also now out of print and not easy to find.

House on the Hill is fun but I can never get my wife to play. She complains that she never understands what is going on but she usually wins....

Rescently I've been playing an old con game called The Hunt. Very similar to Running Man or Smash TV. Lots of fun.

I'm really interested in a game called Tannhauser. Has anyone played that?
Durgan
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Durgan »

I've seen Tannhauser at one of my LGS' and thought it looked interesting. Personally, I have to tout AT-43 as an awesome game. It's like Warhammer 40,000, but plays alot smoother, without losing any of the detail. It's kind of a retro-50's sci-fi game, with the two main human armies being basically the Allies and the Soviets. Then you have the Matrix-looking aliens which turn out to be the real humans in the game, and of course, gorillas in power-armor(!). Another plus side is that it's based around big damn robots instead of tanks.

It's also prepainted, so people can game without being huge into the hobby side of things (like I am), or you can just spend a couple minutes touching up the minis. The only real downside is that it's about as expensive to play as Games Workshop games :? , but the fun factor is pretty high, too. I've been trying to get Leif and Brett to play a game or two with me, and I've even gotten my GF to give it a go, with pretty good success.

The link to the homepage:
http://www.at-43.com/index.php?option=c ... Itemid=253
Smitty19
GM

Post by Smitty19 »

hey CJ, how much they give you to pimp their game like you do? (c:

Just kidding mang, you know im up for it if i can ever get time!

Brett
Serith Darkheart

"I dont make Threats....Only Promises"
Durgan
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Durgan »

Hey, man.....I used to love GW games this much awhile back. I'm just a sucker for the new girl on the block. It's all I can do not to go crazy talking about Heorscape- it was my second miniatures game I ever owned (first being Battlemasters). I was hooked from the start.

(Plus, AT43's only been out a year and I have two 3,000pt armies already, and working on the third at 1,500- being young and single (well, unmarried anyway) is so cool) I love games where instead of painting 65 clones in slightly different poses, I can instead use the time to make awesome scenery.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

I thought you Miniature Gamer Phreaks might want to see this http://z11.invisionfree.com/Work_In_Pro ... =9485&st=0 . This is a whole diffrent level of scenery building
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
marduk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by marduk »

Wayne,

Sick. I will have to show my min-gamer friends at work tonight. I would love to turn my basment into a fantasy type version of this mentality. MaYBE just a room.

Steve
kmeinka
New in Town
New in Town

Post by kmeinka »

Sure it looks great Wayne, but I don't notice any place in those buildings for my Space Marines to set up to cut your Orcs to shreds.

WayneO42 wrote:I thought you Miniature Gamer Phreaks might want to see this http://z11.invisionfree.com/Work_In_Pro ... =9485&st=0 . This is a whole diffrent level of scenery building