This is a nice larp

Let the sane of mind not trod here!

Moderator: Admin

Andian
Town Member
Town Member

This is a nice larp

Post by Andian »

I love our larp, but I do have to say that this one I have on video is well put together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btNmMtn_8Os

And just because I said it on the other site, I like potato.
Knight of the Frozen Way, Sir Andian Eannon
"Law is mind without reason."
--Aristotle
Verity and Equity
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

Massive LARPs

Post by Torakhan »

yes, this is one of the European LARPs with thousands of players.

There have been some attempts to begin similar LARPs in the US, one of which was supposed to begin this year-ish in Illinois, but I haven't heard anything about it since the initial rumblings from the WH staff about being contacted about it.

European LARPs (you know, where the history comes from?) are quite extravagant and amazing. It's not something we get to see around here, but it would be a mazing to be a part of.

However, here is the American branch of ConQuest's website:
http://www.conquestamerica.com/
(though, as I look into it, they have Final Haven listed as a member LARP, but have us being in Ohio. o.O http://www.conquestamerica.com/groups.php )

And... yeah, when you have a few thousand players for a LARP and make it basically a convention of sorts, you can put money into every aspect, including production of videos. ;)
Arthur Dreese - West Michigan
I just want to see tomorrow, day by day to just survive. / But this place is built to kill me. No one here gets out alive. ~Alice Cooper "Cold Machines"
"Beware the designer who does not design to play his own game." ~Justin Achilli, Vampire: the Masquerade Developer
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

I can't really believe they are trying to do this again (ConQuest). They tried and fell apart, the leaders also weren't very helpful on the forums in answering questions people had.

I'll keep an eye on it, but I can't imagine they will manage any better this time around. I also noticed their prices went up a great deal from the first time they tried to pull this off and canceled at the last moment (Well, less than a month from the event, anyway).

There are some cool pictures, but interested parties should be aware that it is not from an actual ConQuest US event, but from an overseas LARP called (I think) Mythodea.

Also, I would note that they removed their forums.
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Torakhan »

Kalphoenix wrote:I can't really believe they are trying to do this again (ConQuest). They tried and fell apart, the leaders also weren't very helpful on the forums in answering questions people had.
I'm a little surprised that they decided to go for the "mega LARP" so quickly. I mean, maybe they really thought that they had something and had a lot of folks promising who didn't turn up in the end. Money down first! *L* It wouldn't be the first time someone had a big idea with a lot of folks promising to do it too... only to find out people bailed in the end.
Arthur Dreese - West Michigan
I just want to see tomorrow, day by day to just survive. / But this place is built to kill me. No one here gets out alive. ~Alice Cooper "Cold Machines"
"Beware the designer who does not design to play his own game." ~Justin Achilli, Vampire: the Masquerade Developer
Lambic
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lambic »

First impression - THEY HAVE AERIAL FOOTAGE OF THE EVENT!!!!

Ok that being said. Scale is really the difference here. (I know this is what Art said). I think we could be at least as cool given a munch larger player base and GM squad.

There is also a really cool LARP in Montreal Canada with 6-7 full time employees running it. They own alot of land and permanent structures. Can't remember the name of it at the moment.

They also have a different LARPing culture over there. People accept that they pretty much have to have metal or leather armor, period. So they get it or borrow it or make it. They just don't accept anything else. (This is my interpretation from hanging out on forums and web pages).

BTW ConQuest did contact the GMs of FH to help with plot writing. But then it fell apart on their end, as I understood it.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Euro LARPS are much more on the SCA side when it comes to rules. Also, SCA does have LARGE events.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Durgan
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Durgan »

Heck yeah, they do. The Pennsic War (a SCA event) can have up to 10,000 people attend. And yes, they have full size battles, sometimes with actual in-game siege engines.
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

uhm...Pennsic has on averad 15000 inattendence and is considered the largest TENT/TEMPORARY city in the world...as I Understand it...and they have the Tuchucks....think hot Nordic barbarian chicks with stripper mentaities that like drinkinghome-made wine and meade....
P
A
R
T
Y

...but be careful or you will go back to your tent naked....it seems to be as fun game for them...
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
marduk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by marduk »

I am totally representing the Middle next year