I'm at work

Let the sane of mind not trod here!

Moderator: Admin

Tullus
Town Member
Town Member

I'm at work

Post by Tullus »

I'm finding it much easier to post while I'm at work lately. I guess just as long as I'm sneaky, it's a definate perk.

Anyhow, I wanted to post about how Ravinal wasn't my original choice for my first character. That character was a fast rash decision based on the fact that I didn't want to step on anyone feet. There were already quite a few knights in the game. Also, my money situation had never been amazing. So I couldn't afford the things I'd wanted to buy to dress up as this character I've admired. It was a character I'd already written many short stories about. His name was Andian.

The change in rules over the years have only made the mechanics fit Andian's abilities. It's great how the rules to this game are dynamic enough to encompass many ideals. I feel Andian is very unique. He is in essence, still me. Yet, he's a very different version than what I've played in roleplaying games. I tried to create a verison of him with Tullus, yet I didn't quite feel right. In Ravinal, I tried to split from the character completely *I hate making characters that are kind of close to other character concepts already in the game*. The results with Ravinal seemed great and ill. I just couldn't make the whole wolf thing work. It ended up seeming to annoy people or make them laugh more than keeping people in character. With Ravinal, it was more the story that grabbed my attention. And that was an accidently boring afternoon story that I posted that created a whole in game story-line. That's still my best memory of the game.

My character James was a short lived character based on a table top character I made for a dark tower game. He was fun, but didn't fit into the type of character I wanted for these games. Evil, yet accommodating. Sickeningly friendly just as long as you were looking at him. He was kind of fun. Though not one I want to take on for a few years if he'd survive.

Tullus just never seemed to fit in. I'll never bring Ravinal back, his story is done. And James only fits in one genre. So, I'm retiring both James and Tullus. And since the first time I've played this game, I've been collecting bits of what I could find to represent Andian. So the next game that I play, I don't know when that will be, I'm playing Andian. I hope he lasts for awhile. He is my favorite character in any genre.
"When I was younger, I could remember anything, whether it happened or not."

-Mark Twain
Malphus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Malphus »

Be careful with a character that is so important. I have a couple like that, but refuse to RP them. They are written only. I would only be dissapointed with myself, for I write much better than I act.

Steve
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

if you want to borrow chargoth armor and spiff it up, feel free.
Travis Cole
Tullus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Tullus »

I don't know which I may do better, act or write. Maybe they're equal or maybe not. Heck, perhaps I'm mediocre at both. I know it may be somewhat dangerous to mess with something I really appreciate on a different playing field. Yet, if I don't try I know I'll always wonder if I should have. I didn't know I'd even enjoy roleplaying games at the age of 17, yet when I tried it I just became entranced by the possiblities. The stories, the connections, the random memoriable moments...

The close friends I have and the possible close friends I could gain through these games have made my ventures into the unknown bearable. For me, it's not the end results. It's the journey toward that end. The story continues whether I do well one day or poorly another. The end results will just help bring back other memories that are made. I just don't want to regret not trying to create something great. I enjoy dwelling on good memories with friends and I feel this character will most likely create one or two.

Edit: I really appreciate that, Travis. Though after Ravinal's *sharper edged than I realized* extremely heavy armor, I'm not sure if I want to move back into something heavy like that again. Though if it gets to the point where I need a piece of history like the famous chargoth's armor, I'll know where to come.
Last edited by Tullus on Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

-Mark Twain
Malphus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Malphus »

I understand. Reach for the sky. You are far more courageous than I.
Tullus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Tullus »

There are still moments when I play FH/WH that I feel silly. I realize that I'm on a camp site in something I most likely put together myself. And that I'm pretending to be something else.

Then there are moments where I look around and I'm in the forest at night. It's blindingly dark, there is a slight fog at my feet and the moon is full. The earthy smell of my surroundings fills me with the need to search the area. It also fills me with a slight fear that perhaps I don't want to know if that rock over there is actually a person crouching down and waiting to attack me. The moments when I'm sitting next to others who feel the same as I do while we sit in front of the nights fire. We talk in ways that feel epic. As though what is said that night will be echoed throughout our lives as mantras of courage. And the moments when we feel the need to cheer each other up with laughter, to make the dread momentarily disappear after a particularly dangerous battle. It can sometimes feel greater than any story I've read. I just want to keep creating these feelings. If this feeling is shared by others, that's great. Yet somehow I feel selfish in wanting these moments to myself. To be somewhere in the real world and think about these times with a smile.

-Mark Twain
Tullus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Tullus »

I just thought about something interesting about my past characters. Both of my characters Ravinal and James had magical items and the game they had full use of them, they died. Tullus never came close to having one. Maybe I should avoid them like the plague. :)

-Mark Twain
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

Magical Curse!

Post by Torakhan »

Tullus wrote:I just thought about something interesting about my past characters. Both of my characters Ravinal and James had magical items and the game they had full use of them, they died. Tullus never came close to having one. Maybe I should avoid them like the plague. :)
Why do you think Quen has been alive for so long? He basically threw his "magical items" away... It seems to have worked so far for him!
Arthur Dreese - West Michigan
I just want to see tomorrow, day by day to just survive. / But this place is built to kill me. No one here gets out alive. ~Alice Cooper "Cold Machines"
"Beware the designer who does not design to play his own game." ~Justin Achilli, Vampire: the Masquerade Developer
Malphus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Malphus »

I have been inspired by your wherewithal. I think I may drag out one of my old favorite PCs from another RPG. I don't know if he will translate into the LARP setting. He is very heroic, and I know that in a mass player environment, unless you are a hustler, it is hard to the a HERO. I only plan on playing 1-2 events a year. As most of your know, my planning is often poo-pooed, but I am making my best effort in 2008. I digress...much like the political system, unless you come to at least every OTHER event, you don't really gain much footing as a hero-type. Drop-in Player-characters do better as villians, maybe. But my PC I am mulling over is a hero-type and I don't want to be dissapointed by my lack of ability to live up to that standard. I am excited to hear about your Andian character. Maybe if things go as planned, we may meet on the field of battle. Can't wait till next year!

Steve
Slisk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Slisk »

You’ll always write better than you can act, for in writing you generally have all the time you need to think about the correct way to portray your characters actions and phrase his dialog correctly.

IF you like to write, that is. If not, well, you may actually put more thought into your acting than your writing. :P
Ravinal
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ravinal »

I like to write and act. In writing I do have the time to rewrite scenes and chapters. Yet sometimes, the spur of the moment action of roleplaying can be much more real than what is written down. It's the difference between what is envisioned in the readers mind to what is seen by the audience.

So, I agree with you that writing can be molded into a well worked tell. Yet, when lucky in acting, it's difficult to improve on the moment that is left behind.
deceased
Andian
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Andian »

I am currently drawing E.D. and Lady Coral in both forms. I'm doing this during my fantic work schedule in order to get a lot off my mind. A way to blow off steam.

So far I've drawn E.D. with a smug look on his face with his dragon form having many horns and breathing fire/smoke onto the ground around his human form.

I'd appreciate any constructive suggestions on these drawings.

Edit:I'll also draw any requests. Pentag, Treeman, etc..
Knight of the Frozen Way, Sir Andian Eannon
"Law is mind without reason."
--Aristotle
Verity and Equity
marduk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by marduk »

Random: Can't wait to play in January!
NewGuy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by NewGuy »

Corbyn destroying all of haven whilst skulls burn in the back ground???
GLOMP!
Corbyn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Corbyn »

If you do a Corbyn pic, you could have the shadow of Correl in the background. That was one of the cool in-game things that happened with Gabrial. Whenever he looked at Corbyn with his 'ghost vision' he would see a massive dragon shadow aura. You could also include the mighty Ka, who has placed the head of ED on his shield. Let me know if you decide to do one and would like some other nifty details...
Corbyn Gravesbane
Lord High Cavalier
The Hand of Woodhold
Elder of Final Haven