Thought born of renewed insomnia

Let the sane of mind not trod here!

Moderator: Admin

Tullus
Town Member
Town Member

Thought born of renewed insomnia

Post by Tullus »

Somehow I find myself at work being able to connect to the internet from my work station. So while I wait for the email telling me that I have obtained the job I have so hoped I would gain. As I am also on lunch break, I've decided to post. What I've decided to post is something I've thought about last night and actually do not hope to have truly considered for future use. It's just a thought I had rumbling around in my mind that stubbornly refuses to remove itself.

Last night I was searching through different google words. Which led me to the fact that they are actually creating Lost Boys 2 *which has nothing to do with the rest of this post*. It also led me to european larps. I found out that many european larps are amazingly large in scope. Some of them, almost to movie quality in proportions. There are people who actually get up for work and go to a cubicle that has "Larp Organizer" over their names. What I've found in the rules aspect is that they range from simple enough that anyone immature can easily cut corners and start slapping other PCs around and so complex that the books rival Nero size.

The thought is that if we were to take paths and make them disciplines and then rewrite disciplines to conform to how many skills paths actually contain, it would allow for a lot more customization. That's a lot of what I hear in many games I've played, people want atleast the illusion of uniqueness; therefore a varity of choices. And in actuality is what we have already in the current FH. The mechanics in this game are so dynamic and yet defined that anyone can play just about anything. A skills name doesn't define what it actually can do for the character. A person can throw a 1 vorpal throwing star spell packet after 10 seconds or a 1 damage rock spell packet depending on which skill they'd like to take.

My point on this idea that I don't want actually used *now that I feel insane about posting it*, is what I just said in the last paragraph. No difference between the paths and skills. So a person could start out as a full diplomat and nothing else. Or a full rogue and nothing else. Or bits of this and that. I've found myself usually wanting to get many class skills for characters rather than buy discipline skills for the characters I've built. And I feel this is where that idea may have been born, with alittle help from my reading the online european larps and being amazed.

The enheriant problems with this are obvious. An insane amount of work would have to be done to change everything over. The point system would have to be reworked. There would be no guarentee that the new point system would actually allow new players to feel as though they haven't been left behind players that have been playing for years. It would allow for a lot more skill mechanic abused, making possible more combinations that would unbalance the game. All of this even with seperating the skills into their lifestyles. I feel I posted this because of plain boredom or maybe anxiety over the upcoming job announcement. I guess that is why I've posted it in random junk, rather than anywhere else. Though I feel it's always good to get the PC and GM populous talking in general. Perhaps this post may do that. Perhaps not.
"When I was younger, I could remember anything, whether it happened or not."

-Mark Twain
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Im a tad confused.

Could you give an example of what a warrior discipline would be?

Could you give an example of what you mean on how disciplines would look?
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Tullus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Tullus »

Alrightie. Since this isn't truly a idea I feel is actually a good idea, yet an annoying nat of an idea I couldn't get outta my head until writing. I'll continue.

The reason why I said it would take an enormous amount of work to change everything over is because it would require brainstorming new skills for each discipline. It would possibly mean reducing the amount of skills paths have. If paths were taken to be the form of how stills should be and then disciplines to comform to that style. The warrior skills would stay as they are, except you would by each skill one at a time rather than the group set of basic/advance/master levels. The in comforming disciplines to that style, each disipline would then have additional skills as the paths have. Perhaps the cost build could still be basic/advance/master in the since of say all basic skills would cost 20/ advance 30/ master 40.

Though, as I explained before. This idea born from lack of sleep and awed research is not something I think would work in the smallest amount. Though, as I said. I do enjoy talking about and brainstorming ideas.

-Mark Twain
Tullus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Tullus »

remembering that in this weird and strange idea, basics cost 20cp
Example warrior:

basic skills--
Determination
Vigor
Combat Reflexes
Hold Ground

Example Diplomat:

basic skills--
Linguist
Barterer
Helping Hand
Moot Point

That was even a lot of work coming up with random skill names. lol

-Mark Twain
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Me too. :)

Hey i am in chat if anyone is super board.

get java click on link top of page..fun for all
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Tullus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Tullus »

Unfortunately I can't install java on this computer. If the guys from system see a strain on this side of the server any more than a little internet traffic. They are bound to noticed and ....hehe....tell on me.

-Mark Twain
Tullus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Tullus »

I didn't get the job.

-Mark Twain
Tullus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Tullus »

And so, to continue on with this thought. Being able to sneak in afew posts at work while being bored. The struction as last I left off would be:

Skills costs:
Basic 20pts
Advance 30pts
Master 40 pts

Conforming disciplines to path format. Moving all paths in with the rest of the disciplines. Each discipline skill line would be:
Basic skill--
skill 1
skill 2
skill 3
skill 4
Advance skill--
skill 1
skill 2
skill 3
skill 4
Master
skill 1
skill 2
skill 3
skill 4
--not all disipline basic, advance, master groups would have to have four lines. As some paths now have three lines...some could have only three or two. Depending on how flexable the skills could move within need for skills/need for balance.

In order to get an advance skill, a basic would have to be chosen. In order to get a master skill an advance would have to be chosen. This would allow for each person to choose their own skill progression. And unless a person bought all of the skills in a discipline, no one would have all of one single disciplines skills. I feel it would also maximize customization. Uniqueness.

And of course there would still be the lifestyles to limit certain stills so that balance could possible still be maintained.

-Mark Twain
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

I think your last paragraph in your original post sums up exactly what I can say. :)

Neat idea but it's basically a whole new game.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Tullus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Tullus »

Indeed. Like I said, this came from a sleepless night after looking through endless awesome European larp websites. And it's the reason it's in Random Junk rather than in Rule Suggestions.

It would be a nightmare to balance. Yet, after talking to a friend. It could work. Though, I guess I'll just have to dream up actually rule suggestions rather than thoughts that will never see that thread.

-Mark Twain
Malphus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Malphus »

now you need to start your own LArp. make it so
Tullus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Tullus »

Ha, right. Like I have the time. It'd have to be my full time job for me to be able to even make it to my own larp. Much less, my making it to all the other. Though I definitely wouldn't mind running a rpg again, someday.

-Mark Twain