Robert Jordan

Let the sane of mind not trod here!

Moderator: Admin

Samantha
Town Member
Town Member

Robert Jordan

Post by Samantha »

Just found out that Robert Jordan died on Sunday. I'd only read up to book 4 in the Wheel of Time and that was way the heck back at CMU, but I'd intended to keep going. Just got caught up in school and then stupid real life.

I knew he was ill, but we had been told by one of our book distributors that he'd been getting better. I guess it was shakey for a time and he told us that Robert Jordan had made plans and that his wife knew how things were supposed to end. So, it's a bit of a double disappointment that not only was he not getting any better, it ulitimately ended up killing him anyway. Drat and erg and woe with a little bit of damnit for good measure.

My first (and only) time PCing at CARPS, I named my character Rand. There was a dress I bought at Goodwill back in the day strictly because it made me think of an Aes Sedai dress, something Morraine would wear. And oh, I wanted one of those snake rings (still do). I even bought the music CD which is OK at best, but still... And that was only having read to book 4. I'm sure there's some of you out there much more hard core than I.

What a sad thing. I mean, yes, the series will finally be over, but it's kind of bittersweet now.

Sorry if this is old news to some of you. I can be a bit slow on the pick up.

Here's to you, Robert Jordan! Thanks for a great world!

Sam
"It ain't no mystery,
if it's politics or history.
The thing you gotta know is,
Everything is showbiz!"
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Oh crap did he finish the series? I was giving up reading until he finished!
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
deviantdante
New in Town
New in Town

Post by deviantdante »

he was working on book twelve when he died... I haven't read them but my dad does...heard they were pretty good...
Stabbed to death, decapitated, head used as soccer ball then heart cut out and disposed of.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Well 1 through like 4 were good then they got lame. If he would have just stopped at 4 then wheel of time would have been one of the greats.
Chris
Sethreal
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Sethreal »

SON OF A BITCH.. ITS JUST LIKE THAT ASSHOLE TO GO AND DIE BEFORE FINISHING HIS SERIES!!!!!!! Seriously though. That really sucks. i just finshed book five for the third time today. starting on number six....... So sad.

JJ
Former captain of the Azure Shields.
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

you read book five three times today?
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

I think he finished the books, apparently in George RR Martins remarks on Jordan's death he said atleast he got to finish his epic, or something of the like.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

I have issues with Peace having a video of some dude impaling another dude. It is wrong!
Chris
Zaire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zaire »

This is my "Got tired of Jordan 5 years ago face".

I mean jeesh, start a series in 1992 and die before it's fully completed.

I stopped reading at book 8, I quit caring after book 5.

The only writer more annoying than Jordan is Terry Goodkind and his "Sword of S&M" series. Nothing like whiny, uber-godlike unbeatable wizard of great power being whipped by a leather clad dominatrix to make me gag out a hairball.

If I'm lucky Piers Anthony will get over himself and throw away his computer. Talk about overrated.
To avoid the confusion you may call me....

Stark
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

It was my understanding that Robert Jordain actually finished Wheel of Time a long time ago, but made a contract with his publisher not to release the last two books until he died (He has been terminal for a good number of years).
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Yin and Yang Chris :angel: :twisted:

And thats not some dude thats Vlad the impaler from Stoker's Dracula. Think Atrum and elves on the end of the canoe paddle of death. :wink:
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
Lambic
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lambic »

George R R Martin's Blog post about Jordan's Death. It answers a couple of questions/rumors/comments.
16th September 2007
9:30pm: R.I.P. Robert Jordan

The world of high fantasy is poorer today.

James Rigney, better known to fantasy readers as Robert Jordan, has passed away. Although he had been fighting amyloidosis for several years, the news of his death still came as a shock to many, including me. He was so optimistic and determined that you had to think that if anyone could beat the disease, it would be him.

Jim was a good and gracious man, a pleasure to share a platform or a pint with, and his contributions to modern fantasy were many. His huge, ambitious WHEEL OF TIME series helped to redefine the genre, and opened many doors for the writers who followed.

He was also unfailingly generous towards other fantasists, always ready to offer them support and encouragement. My own ICE & FIRE series might never have found its audience without the cover quote that Jim was so kind as to provide, back when A GAME OF THRONES was first published. I will always be grateful to him for that.

The last time I saw Jim was at an Archon in Collinsville, Illinois. It was before his final illness. He was the convention Guest of Honor and I was the Toastmaster, and I introduced him by telling the audience that actually we were the same person. It was a gag that Jim himself had suggested in the Green Room beforehand. While I was doing the intro, and claiming credit for all his books, he slowly entered, walked up silently behind me, and stood looming over me, glowering like Zeus. We got a great laugh.

I had some great dinners with Jim and his wife Harriet there in Collinsville as well. We talked about other writers, editors, publishers, all the stuff that writers always talk about... oh, and a little about our own series as well... and Jim and Harriet invited me to visit them if I ever made it down to Charleston. Sad to say, I never did.

RIP, Jim. You will be much missed.
Current Mood: sad