SPOILERS Want to Discuss Harry Potter Book 7 SPOILERS

Let the sane of mind not trod here!

Moderator: Admin

marduk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by marduk »

Lambic wrote: And yes the Slash is going to probably go crazy. Then again maybe it won't, does the character actually being gay take some of the fun out of it?
My personal favorite Slash story was one with a threesome between Legolas, Gimli, and Aragorn. Now that was something.
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Torakhan »

marduk wrote:
Lambic wrote: And yes the Slash is going to probably go crazy. Then again maybe it won't, does the character actually being gay take some of the fun out of it?
My personal favorite Slash story was one with a threesome between Legolas, Gimli, and Aragorn. Now that was something.
You can stop now please thank you kthnxbai!
Arthur Dreese - West Michigan
I just want to see tomorrow, day by day to just survive. / But this place is built to kill me. No one here gets out alive. ~Alice Cooper "Cold Machines"
"Beware the designer who does not design to play his own game." ~Justin Achilli, Vampire: the Masquerade Developer
marduk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by marduk »

Art,

I could put a link in. :evil:
Sheogorath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Sheogorath »

marduk wrote:
I'm scared now...and for me to be scared of slash is a big thing....do not want to picture Gimli in anything like that...

As a side note since slash was brought up isn't interesting that only guys have been discussing it? hehe
I am me, except for when I am not, then I'm not me, I'm him. Then again when I am not me, who is me?
marduk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by marduk »

I caught a random article about Slash fic, and as it turns out it is written almost exclusively by women.
Sheogorath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Sheogorath »

marduk wrote:I caught a random article about Slash fic, and as it turns out it is written almost exclusively by women.
Slash written by women? Never would have guessed that...

*runs and hides from yaoi/slash fangirls*
I am me, except for when I am not, then I'm not me, I'm him. Then again when I am not me, who is me?
Durgan
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Durgan »

To me, stating that Dumbledore was gay has about as much relevance as stating his favorite color- and I'm a self- admitted huge fan of the books.

I mean, cmon! Straight, bi or gay, does anyone really want to picture the old codger in any kind of 'loving' situation? *Shudder*

Of course, I always figured he and McGonnagal were having a fling, if anything, seeing as they were the only two 'old' main characters and were always sen together, I just kind of assumed.
Sheogorath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Sheogorath »

Durgan wrote:To me, stating that Dumbledore was gay has about as much relevance as stating his favorite color- and I'm a self- admitted huge fan of the books.

I mean, cmon! Straight, bi or gay, does anyone really want to picture the old codger in any kind of 'loving' situation? *Shudder*
my point exactly...
Lambic
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lambic »

Durgan wrote:To me, stating that Dumbledore was gay has about as much relevance as stating his favorite color- and I'm a self- admitted huge fan of the books.

Of course, I always figured he and McGonnagal were having a fling, if anything, seeing as they were the only two 'old' main characters and were always sen together, I just kind of assumed.
The fact that it isn't important to the story or really the character's part in the book is the point. Plus it introduces an idea of tolerance to fairly young crowd, spread all over the demographics.

I agree that I won't be imagining Albus doing the nasty, but that is what Slash fanfic is usually about. Some people are all about it and to me if that is you're thing, cool. I admit I sometimes like fanfic and sometimes I like it a little naughty. Although not usually slash.
Sheogorath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Sheogorath »

I do agree that I like that it does introduce tolerance and acceptance of different lifestyles yet why wait though...that's why I am questioning the relevance why did she wait until it was all over to announce this? Personally I think it was, besides the above mentioned reason, to spark more controversy to sell more books.
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

Matter of importance...

Post by Torakhan »

Sheogorath wrote:I do agree that I like that it does introduce tolerance and acceptance of different lifestyles yet why wait though...that's why I am questioning the relevance why did she wait until it was all over to announce this? Personally I think it was, besides the above mentioned reason, to spark more controversy to sell more books.
She was asked by someone in the crowd and answered it on stage.
I don't think this will make more people buy new copies of the book, but it is more likely that the book will be banned in other countries and locations, thus limiting the readership (and sales). So I don't think it was any sort of ploy for more sales.

I think his orientation was so "beside the point" that she didn't feel she needed to bring it up or justify it in the book. It really wasn't a big deal and didn't even need to be addressed either. I don't know what her publisher or editor made her remove (if anything) about the relationship, but the fact that she included the "clues", but never made it an issue shows more maturity than if she had stuck in a scene of the two lying cuddled in bed, caressing each other in their youth. His sexuality was not in question and wasn't really nessecary for the story of Harry Potter.
Arthur Dreese - West Michigan
I just want to see tomorrow, day by day to just survive. / But this place is built to kill me. No one here gets out alive. ~Alice Cooper "Cold Machines"
"Beware the designer who does not design to play his own game." ~Justin Achilli, Vampire: the Masquerade Developer
Lambic
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lambic »

Art is right she was directly asked about Albus' love life. She did keep it kind of quite because she though it was a clue to his relationship with Grendewald (sp?). She has a pretty complete world, but if it wasn't necessary for the books it was left out, until that is the fans ask about it.