Colored?

Let the sane of mind not trod here!

Moderator: Admin

Tullus
Town Member
Town Member

Colored?

Post by Tullus »

So, Im talking to the people in my world of darkness game about the FH weekend. I know none of us have completely wound down from it yet. So, a story comes up about what my new character is and how a person asks about it.

When Im at a game, I don't think about race more than whether a person is a human, gaven, elf, or dwarf. Yet, more than one person asked that when I make a elf character is it automatically a dark elf, because Im black. My answer, no. In my mind, a dark elf has onyx to black / purplish mix of skin and white to silver mix of hair. I have none of those. :)

My thoughts on calling a black person colored. First of all, everyone is colored; otherwise you are translucent. So that makes saying it somewhat ridiculous. I also thought that calling a black person colored kinda went out with the 70s. So, for me to hear that someone had said, "Do you know who the new dark....elf..... er., colored elf...is?" seemed somewhat interestingly funny to me. With that, every other elf in the game would be a white elf and called as such.

So yeah; my new character is an elf. Just an elf. You can call him that, or by his name. :)
Last edited by Tullus on Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When I was younger, I could remember anything, whether it happened or not."

-Mark Twain
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

You sure it isnt an african american elf?
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Tullus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Tullus »

Don't need to get too connected to the specifics. :)

-Mark Twain
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

Haha. Thats funny. I laugh on occasion when my Granny says something about her 'colored' neighbor. If memory serves its usually 'of color'. My cousin (who is 'colored' ;) ) loves to talk to people and twist conversations. Like most of my family he is fairly quick witted, and enjoys twisting peoples word to watch them squirm. Never maliciously, but just enough to make people think. Hes very subtle about that. When my kids were little they were confused about the whole black/white thing (As we are neither) and I used the following explanation.
Peoples skins are like a peach. Every color of the human race can be found on one, mixed and blended. But reguardless of the color of any given peach, its whats inside that counts.
I know it sounds trite and corny, but I think the kids understood it. The confusion didnt kick in till my other cousin (also Black) was refered to as 'Dark Peach' ;) I cant tell you how many times Ive had to explain that one.
Tullus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Tullus »

I seem to have that same love for twisting around what people say. I guess sometimes I just can't resist.

-Mark Twain
Indira Al'Estrella
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Indira Al'Estrella »

I always think about my field professor when I hear the term african-american.

To look at him you'd think he just stepped out of the queen's tea room. Tall, stick thin, huge bushy gray moustache and white as whitey can get. But since his mother (British) lived in Africa all her life, and his father was an American military man, and he was born in South Africa...he is the whitest African-American I have ever met.

It just strikes me funny how people connect politcal boundaries with genetics...and so often. How ignorant can we get?
Kale
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Kale »

See, I thought you were just an elf. If you were a dark elf you woulda had black paint all over your skin. Didn't even cross my mind that you might be an "african-american elf". Course thats prolly cause that term makes absolutely no sense. Mostly cause ... well ... what is this America that you speak of?

Course...I play a character who is green and calls himself an elf, so I guess I'm not the best person to talk to. ;)

Course, I was never out to "fix" you like I was (am) trying to "fix" Nuk.
Farbarian
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Farbarian »

Dang, I missed the race part. I was just glad he had ear tips. :)
Jarl Garin
Master healer
Fear keeps you alive! Regret means your still alive.
Potion maker And Coward.
Dewy Stoutbringer
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

new twist on "Colored"

Post by Dewy Stoutbringer »

My own twist on this conversation is thus: I was born without much color in my skin, and have tried to remedy that in my own way---getting way too much ink. I always laugh when I hear someone say colored, and I always ask what color and where on thier body and who did it for them and how much they paid.
As for the Elven part, you all know what Bombour (Dewberry's father)thinks of them!

JIm
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's
His hair was perfect.
--Warren Zevon

[/quote]
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Ha

Post by Nelkie »

I wasn't at the event to see your new character, but when I saw your pitcure I just thought you where an elf. It never crossed my mind that you where a dark elf. In my mind if a peson is playing a dark elf, they would be waering black face paint and maybe some white hair wig. It's nice to see more elf's in town. :D
My Thoughts

Aaron