Episode III: ravenge of the tiredness

Let the sane of mind not trod here!

Moderator: Admin

dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Episode III: ravenge of the tiredness

Post by dier_cire »

Well, it's out and been seen. It was fun. I'd put it about on par with episode II, had some good parts, had some dumb parts. All in all not too shabby. Still managed to open up a few plot holes, hokey explanations and bad one liners, but hey, it's the new Star Wars, it's part of the whole deal.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

lol, reading reviews I found these gems:

"And again, it doesn't help that Christensen's performance is so wooden. I just don't believe Anakin's change to the Dark Side. It just doesn't work. Just because someone films half of your face in shadows doesn't make you dark"

"Look, when R2-D2 gives the best performance in the film, we're in trouble, folks" (though I think Ewan McGregor did pretty good to, only character I really cared about.)

bwhahaha, so true so true
Varys Snow
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Varys Snow »

While I liked the movie overall, can someone tell me where the justice is in a world where Padme dies and Jar Jar lives? :?
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Atleast Jar-Jar didn't have any lines. It was cool to see the Millenium Falcon too, didn't expect that.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

It depressed me, a lot, even knowing what all was going to happen.
Mike: For the majority of you, choosing to use a packet instead of a weapon is a hindrance because your aims suck.

Travis: Crap he is on to me.
kmeinka
New in Town
New in Town

Post by kmeinka »

Where did you see the millenium falcon?
Ravinal
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ravinal »

I have to say, Jar Jar not saying a word, made me happy.
deceased
Gowin D'Josian
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Gowin D'Josian »

There were many good things about that movie, but there were so many things that were so bad that I find I am of mixed fealings about the whole thing. If nothing else I would almost rather have heard the Jar Jar through the whole thing than have to suffer Christensen's failed attemps at acting.
I am fated to know not the sweet sound of my given name.

The image there<---- is a place holder until I find a more sutable avitar
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

The Millenium Falcon, or a ship just like it was docking in the lower right hand corner during one of the docking scenes, I think it was on Coruscant. It was fairly early in the movie.

Hayden Christenson is nowhere near as bad an actor as Mark Hammill and if you go down the line this cast is better than the original 3.
Hayden Christenson - Mark Hammil Edge Hayden
Natalie Portman - Carrie Fisher Huge Edge Natalie
Ewan McGregor - Harrison Ford Push
Samuel L Jackson - Alec Guinness push
Jimmy Smits - Billy Dee Williams push
Add to that Christopher Lee and Liam Neeson and I think these 3 had much better acting overall.
Death=Adder

~Pink Floyd~
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

I would agree that Portman is a better actress than Fisher but I really saw no evidence that she wanted to do this film. The bigger issue is the writing. Now, I know that none of the movies had writing that was out of this world so to speak but I just thought it got exponentially worse each film. In this one, there was about a ten minute stretch where every single line was a cliche. That has to be some sort of record.

That said, I enjoyed this movie more than the previous two but was overall disappointed because I thought they missed the boat a couple times and didn't take advantage of some opportunities.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

I don't know, I believe Hamill a lot more as a whiney kid from Tatooine than Hayden as a future Darth Vader.

I mean who will ever forget "What's that flashing!" and "but I was going to go to Tashi Station to pick up some power converters!"

I can't recall a single line Hayden said and I saw the movie twice, course part of that is due to bad writing.

Portman is a better actress but her performance was sub par due to Hayden and bad lines. Carrie Fisher worked with Harrison Ford so their conversations were at least somewhat believeable.

And Billy Dee Williams is no push. :D The Colt 45 ads give him the win! :D
Varys Snow
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Varys Snow »

Eric, I also saw the Corellian Freighter docking. It was only on screen for about three seconds. Whether it was the Falcon or not, I don't know, but I would bet it was because of all the tie-ins that Lucas was doing in this movie. I don't remember what planet it was on, though.

My biggest problem, story-line wise, is probably the ease with which the jedi were killed off. I don't care what kind of troops they are, six troops will not be able to kill a jedi, especially a master.

I have seen Revenge twice. Once on opening night at a digital theater, and again later that week with the 'rental units since they also wanted to see it. The second time was at a regular theater. I enjoyed and got more out of the movie at the analog screen. I was kind of surprised at that. I think the digital screen might have been too crisp and clean. It didn't feel like a movie so much to me. Did anyone else see it at both types of theaters? If so, I'd be interested to know which theater you liked better.

As for the acting, I agree that the writing was very poor, but that is what all of the Star Wars movies were about. Of course, Harrison Ford could pull off the cliches where Hayden couldn't. The strength of the acting in the first movies compensated for the poor dialogue and script.
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

dier_cire wrote:I don't know, I believe Hamill a lot more as a whiney kid from Tatooine than Hayden as a future Darth Vader.
Very true, I hadn't even really thought of it that way.
dier_cire wrote:I mean who will ever forget "What's that flashing!" and "but I was going to go to Tashi Station to pick up some power converters!"
Or "That's not true, that's IMPOSSIBLE!"
dier_cire wrote:Portman is a better actress but her performance was sub par due to Hayden and bad lines. Carrie Fisher worked with Harrison Ford so their conversations were at least somewhat believeable.
Actually I think their scenes together may have been his best acting in all the flicks, but Fisher and Ford definitely had more on screen chemistry.
dier_cire wrote:And Billy Dee Williams is no push. :D The Colt 45 ads give him the win! :D
:P

And I agree that the writing for all of the latest 3 was subpar.

I haven't seen it on an analog theater yet but I plan to next time I see it, I too noticed the quirkiness of the digital, I could see the blocks in some of the medium depth shots.
Death=Adder

~Pink Floyd~
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Varys Snow wrote:The strength of the acting in the first movies compensated for the poor dialogue and script.
:? I liked the story in the first three. It was leaps and bounds above 'trade embargos' and 'political debates'.

And though there were some cheesy lines (ex: "that's not true! That's IMPOSSIBLE" bwhahaha) they weren't forced compared to say a scene with artoo dragging threepio's head just so he can say "this is such a drag"'. Cheese is funny but forced cheese sucks. I'm still on the fence with Obi-wan throwing down the blaster and saying "crude and uncivilized".
kmeinka
New in Town
New in Town

Post by kmeinka »

No matter how good these new movies might have been, I don't think that they ever could have compared to the originals. The originals came out in a time when science-fiction could barely be considered a genre, followed by a small group of supporters who were far from the main stream. The special effects in sci-fi movies before Star Wars were laughable and sometimes simply stupid. The stories that people were trying to tell in the movies simply could not be supported by the special effects of the time. Many of the stories also did not translate well into the format of an hour and a half movie, which resulted in rather poor films. Even Star Trek did not do very well in the main stream.

Then came Star Wars.

Star Wars made sci-fi a genre. It innovated movie special effects. It was what sci-fi fans everywhere had envisioned in their heads when they imagined alien worlds, and battles in space. It also brought sci-fi into the mainstream. The originals films were more than just movies, they were a defining moment in the culture we grew up in.

I love the original films. I am a monster fan of them. I can sit down with the movies and say every line 5 seconds before the characters do. I can win Star Wars Trivial Pursuit in three pushes of R2's head. I write this while sitting underneath my diorama of Jaba's Place made up of original figures (everybody is there). I am a huge fan.

I really liked the new films. They were good. I enjoyed going back to that galaxy far, far away and seeing it again in some place outside of my own imagination. But they were not the original films. From my point of view, no films, no matter how good, ever could be.